+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: computer experts........

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

computer experts........

Hey, I need some help. My computer crashed last night. I have been having problems, but it has been with the cable modem, not the computer.

Yesterday the modem went out again. I did all the unplugging, unhooking, and then restarting stuff, but this time the whole computer stopped. It came up with some message that it could not boot due to some error with my operating system..........

I have Windows 2000 Professional. I called my IS person where I work and she rushed over a CD for the system. I just met her at the door and told her that I could handle it from there. Well, after struggling with getting the CD to come up, I finally pressed every F button on the key board as it was coming on. THAT worked. The CD came up. I then loaded the operating system again. THEN it states that I need some authenticy code. I DON'T HAVE THAT! My IS person is now gone out of town for the weekend and I am left without my computer. This is my home computer, so she was just doing me a favor anyway.

I am using my laptop now and I cannot stand this keyboard. My fingers don't fit. I don't see a place to plug my regular keyboard into it. Is there something I can buy for that?

OK, that is all. I just know that Dwayne misses my optimism on the football section and Cartek, Tyler, and Markay miss me on the political section. I am not going to post much till I get a keyboard to plug into this thing, though.

BleedTechBlue.com JFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant futureJFord has a brilliant future

Re: computer experts........

Look on the side of your computer and look for a sticker that says something along the lines of what the installation is asking for XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX it should be in that format.

If it doesn't, get on a computer that does work and search Windows 2000 Professional Key. !WARNING! these types of sites google will return are natorious for giving computers spyware, so beware.

Hope this helps.

JFord

JFord

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Get a mac.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jford View Post
    Look on the side of your computer and look for a sticker that says something along the lines of what the installation is asking for XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX it should be in that format.

If it doesn't, get on a computer that does work and search Windows 2000 Professional Key. !WARNING! these types of sites google will return are natorious for giving computers spyware, so beware.

Hope this helps.

JFord

JFord
    Or you can just get a USB keyboard.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jford View Post
    Shame on you. And you work for BTG? I'm telling Tim.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all! I will try some of the suggestions.

jford,
    My computer came with Windows ME and I switched it to Windows 2000 Professional a couple of years back. So, my computer wouldn't have the right code, right?

Administrator TechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the roughTechDawgFan is a jewel in the rough TechDawgFan's Avatar

Correct

How much would a new operating system cost me at somewhere like Best Buy? I think I will just go buy a CD with the code. Couldn't be that expensive.

So, what is the very best? Also, I probably lost all my documents, pictures, etc..... Right??????????

In almost every case, If you have to reinstall the OS, you lose everything.

XP Home is either 80 or 120 bucks at Best Buy. I forgot which one.

There are a ton of free non-Windows OS's and Linux distributions out there, but I'd steer clear of that if you aren't computer savvy.

Champ duckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond reputeduckbillplatty has a reputation beyond repute duckbillplatty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    So, what is the very best? Also, I probably lost all my documents, pictures, etc..... Right??????????
    STOP!

Don't do anything else if you think you will be losing documents.

Just take it to Best Buy this afternoon. Let the Geek Squad handle it. Most of them seem midly retarded and some of them are, but they will probably be able to fix your PC for a hundred bucks or so and only take an hour or so to do it.

Just ask yourself, "Is it worh $100 to lose my docs and pics?". If not, go ahead and do whatever you want. Otherwise, slow down.

If you just need to get on the net in the mean time, I agree with Luminaire, go buy a USB keyboard for $20 and use it in the mean time.

Quote Originally Posted by duckbillplatty View Post
    STOP!

Don't do anything else if you think you will be losing documents.

Just take it to Best Buy this afternoon. Let the Geek Squad handle it. Most of them seem midly retarded and some of them are, but they will probably be able to fix your PC for a hundred bucks or so and only take an hour or so to do it.

Just ask yourself, "Is it worh $100 to lose my docs and pics?". If not, go ahead and do whatever you want. Otherwise, slow down.

If you just need to get on the net in the mean time, I agree with Luminaire, go buy a USB keyboard for $20 and use it in the mean time.
    Good idea. I have years of documents and pictures that I really don't want to lose. I think they have those Geek Squads that come around to your house around here. I see them all the time in their VW Bugs. I will give that a shot this weekend. I will head up to Best Buy or Circuit City tonight and get the key board.

All of you have been extremely helpful. THANKS!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Good idea. I have years of documents and pictures that I really don't want to lose. I think they have those Geek Squads that come around to your house around here. I see them all the time in their VW Bugs. I will give that a shot this weekend. I will head up to Best Buy or Circuit City tonight and get the key board.

All of you have been extremely helpful. THANKS!

As long as you don't have some documents and pictures of some of us in compromising positions...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    As long as you don't have some documents and pictures of some of us in compromising positions...
    Just a few. I have spy cams that have been set up at Hidaway Park for over 20 years now. Some of you were TRULY disgusting in your younger years. Maybe I should take a magnet to some of this.

+ Reply to Thread