+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question...to the whole BB&B family

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Question...to the whole BB&B family

This is not a swipe at Jimmy Hand, but I have a question:

Why was a guy that had already accepted a Life Sciences teaching position at TECH "hired away" by Oakes as the chief athletic fundraiser?

Again not a swipe at Hand, but he has no athletic marketing experience. I am sure he bleeds BLUE like a lot of us, but this is a hire that I really don't understand. Could it be that Oakes wants someone in the position that knows even less than he does so that he can have all the "bright" ideas and continue to do things "his" way? Or am I totally missing something? I just don't understand.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Dan
    __________________________________________________ ______

I posted this in a closed forum several weeks ago, and I was going to leave it there until I heard the following today:

The TEAM SHOP at Aillet Stadium will be run by the bookstore going forward. It seems Hand complained to Oakes that it was just too much for him to handle. Oakes capitulated and handed a $30,000 to $50,000 per year revenue stream off to the bookstore.

So less than 2 months into his new job, Hand has shown that he is not one-tenth the man he replaced plus he allowed Oakes to confirm what we already knew...he is clueless and is not serious about moving our athletic programs forward.

Jim Oakes needs a new gig outside Lincoln Parish.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: Question...to the whole BB&B family

What a shame.

Someone on the 16th floor needs to wake up and make some much-needed changes.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I'm shaking right now!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

This, by and large, is the biggest problem in Ruston. I'm not trying to offend any Ruston folks on the board, but in Ruston, you've got to know somebody. I understand that it's like that everywhere...it's not what you know, it's who you know, but it seems particularly bad in Ruston. With the constant "intellectual inbreeding", new ideas don't come by very often. On top of that, people are less likely to make a fuss to put things right because ole so and so got them their job and they don't want to ruffle any feathers. When my in-laws went to Tech (in the 70's), they said it wasn't like that.

I don't know anything about Jimmy Hand, but it would've been nice to find someone with some experience. Our entire athletic program is run by amateurs (sp?). How can Dr. Reneau (an established professional) allow that to happen. You don't let a guy with a business degree run the biology department. Last I heard, Dr. Barker (dean of vocal school) hadn't been offered an engineering position. It's just backwards. I really think things like this are what drive people away from Ruston and Tech.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

For those of you who don't know or realize, the Team Shop was one of the few things that Ronny Walker was able to do for Tech Athletics and Tech fans. On many occasions JO wouldn't furnish him the needed labor to run the shop and Ronny actually had to man it himself instead of the more productive things like smoozing with potential donors.

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Oakes also would not allow Ronny to carry funds over from week to week to make more purchases to make more sales...so Ronny had to be innovative in how he ran it to maximize sales (and revenue), while minimizing risk...all on the TECH-renown shoe-string budget!

Another athletic revenue stream bites the dust, while Nero fiddles!
    Last edited by CARTEK; 10-22-2006 at 07:06 PM.
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Oakes also would allow Ronny

Don't you mean wouldn not allow?

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I think it's premature to chalk this up to incompetence. Another possible interpretation of the data presented here is that he's not going to let his boss pigeonhole him into spending all his time trying to keep a nickel-and-dime operation afloat without adequate support when he feels he should be focusing on his primary job--"advancing athletics."

I don't have any inside knowledge, and only time will tell what the real deal is. But if his educational background and refusal to run the team shop without help are all the information we have about his abilities, then we are definitely jumping to premature conclusions.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    For those of you who don't know or realize, the Team Shop was one of the few things that Ronny Walker was able to do for Tech Athletics and Tech fans. On many occasions JO wouldn't furnish him the needed labor to run the shop and Ronny actually had to man it himself instead of the more productive things like smoozing with potential donors.
    Ronny shouldn't have had to do the Team Shop, it tied him up. Jimmy shouldn't have to do it, either. I'm glad he told Jim that it wasn't his job.

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    Ronny shouldn't have had to do the Team Shop, it tied him up. Jimmy shouldn't have to do it, either. I'm glad he told Jim that it wasn't his job.
    I'd guess it was in the job description, but the small detail about labor was probably left out, forcing him to take care of that himself. This is so typical of JO. Show him how to make $1000 by spending $500 and he blows a gasket.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

someone needs to ask jimmy hand about ruston chrysler.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CARTEK View Post
    Oakes also would not allow Ronny to carry funds over from week to week to make more purchases to make more sales...so Ronny had to be innovative in how he ran it to maximize sales (and revenue), while minimizing risk...all on the TECH-renown shoe-string budget!

Another athletic revenue stream bites the dust, while Nero fiddles!
    As always, you probably know more than I do, but in 2005 Ronny made regular photo purchases throughout the season to replenish his supplies last season.

I don't know about the rest of the inventories on hand, so I won't comment.
    tm
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    someone needs to ask jimmy hand about ruston chrysler.

Jay, can you expand on this?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by RXDAWG View Post
    Jay, can you expand on this?
    Let's just say that a $25,000 level booster was pissed away by TECH not living up to its promises -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Let's just say that a $25,000 level booster was pissed away by TECH not living up to its promises -
    and the beat goes on and on and . . . .

+ Reply to Thread