+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 45

Thread: Dorm Requirements

  1. #1
    Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,187

    Dorm Requirements

    I can't believe Tech still has the rule that all students must live in the dorms until they have completed 80 hours of courses. In my opinion, this is outdated and is a deterrent to many potential students.

    http://www.latech.edu/techtalk/current/students.php

    The attached article discusses this topic and the housing director is qouted as saying that the dorm requirements are good because they build character. However, I think this argument is bogus. That argument can be an excuse for any policy that shortchanges the students. Consider the following example: "The deplorable condition of the track complex is good because it buuilds character".

    Tech should be trying to market and compete for students and it should give up on the social engineering.

  2. #2
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    24,848

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    I disagree that it's a deters students...most don't know about it until they get there. What it does is prevent Tech from having the commuter feel of our neighbors to the east. I think they should keep it.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

  3. #3
    Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,187

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Ruson is small enough that no matter where in Ruston you live, you're practically on campus.

    Also, living in the dorm is probably the number one reason that many students go home on the weekend.

  4. #4
    Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,187

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    ....and requiring students to live in dorms practically all through college strikes me as a bit too paternalistic.

  5. #5
    2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Shreevesburg
    Posts
    24,848

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    Ruson is small enough that no matter where in Ruston you live, you're practically on campus.

    Also, living in the dorm is probably the number one reason that many students go home on the weekend.
    You're entitled to your opinion...I disagree.

    Plus, these kids, for the most part and soon all of them, aren't staying in Neilson and Curruthers. Kids go home because they don't get involved...not because they have to stay in the dorm. Once the master plan is complete, there will be a lot more of the University Park style apartments. The on campus requirement maintains the campus feel. We can go down the ULM road if you want, but I don't think it's for the best. Perhaps the hour requirements should be decreased to 60. Eitherway, I think that at least some on-campus requirement is a good thing.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

  6. #6
    Champ 9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough9701Dawg is a jewel in the rough 9701Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,187

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion...I disagree.

    Plus, these kids, for the most part and soon all of them, aren't staying in Neilson and Curruthers. Kids go home because they don't get involved...not because they have to stay in the dorm. Once the master plan is complete, there will be a lot more of the University Park style apartments. The on campus requirement maintains the campus feel. We can go down the ULM road if you want, but I don't think it's for the best. Perhaps the hour requirements should be decreased to 60. Eitherway, I think that at least some on-campus requirement is a good thing.
    The on campus apartments would be a major plus

    However, I don't think the ULM comparison is entirely accurate. That campus is atrocious, its really bad and in a bad area.

    I think competing for students does come into play when a potential student has the following chooices:

    1. if I go to LSU, I have several nice apartments to choose from and can choose to live off campus, but near campus.

    2. if I go to TECH, I have to live in the dorms, but I can tell the office I am commuting, which will leave me with a couple of not-so-nice apartments to choose from and I will be under the suspiciion of the university with a possibility of having to appear before judicial affairs.

  7. #7
    Champ Jen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really niceJen_Leigh is just really nice Jen_Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tyler, Texas
    Posts
    1,172

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    see i really don't like housings way of handling UP . . . when they first announced it i went to sign up i was not allowed to because i was a freshman and i only had like 20 hours when i went . . . now i know freshman that are first quarter freshman who are living there . . . we had to live in the dorm as freshmen so should they . . .

  8. #8
    Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ruston
    Posts
    17,136

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post
    The on campus apartments would be a major plus

    However, I don't think the ULM comparison is entirely accurate. That campus is atrocious, its really bad and in a bad area.

    I think competing for students does come into play when a potential student has the following chooices:

    1. if I go to LSU, I have several nice apartments to choose from and can choose to live off campus, but near campus.

    2. if I go to TECH, I have to live in the dorms, but I can tell the office I am commuting, which will leave me with a couple of not-so-nice apartments to choose from and I will be under the suspiciion of the university with a possibility of having to appear before judicial affairs.
    Have you ever been in many of the apartments near LSU's campus?

  9. #9
    Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    16,911

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Kids go home because they don't get involved...not because they have to stay in the dorm.
    That is so true. I lived in El Dorado and can commute if I wanted but...had too much to do everyday and weekend so I lived on campus (stayed in Hut and Caruthers). Having freshman living in dorm is necessary...not sure about the 'builds character' comment...but it helped me establish new friendships right away.

  10. #10
    Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dogtown, AR
    Posts
    11,596

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Dorm life is a HUGE part of the American college experience. I dont know about the "builds character" argument, but you're missing out on a big part of college if you never see the inside of a dorm. Living on campus is precisely what got me involved in campus life as a student.

    Besides, earning 80 hours by the end of your 2nd year is not that hard.

  11. #11
    Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    8,862

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Quote Originally Posted by 9701Dawg View Post

    2. if I go to TECH, I have to live in the dorms, but I can tell the office I am commuting, which will leave me with a couple of not-so-nice apartments to choose from and I will be under the suspiciion of the university with a possibility of having to appear before judicial affairs.
    This is BS, I worked in that office for Dickie Crawford and Jim King. I awent through and approved all of the commuter forms. All you have to do is use your parents address if they live close enough and get it notarized and signed. It is not hard, and they do not bust chops over it, as long as you dont do anything stupid. If you are trying to use a brother's address or something liek that, it will not work. You also have to live in one of the commuting parishes.

  12. #12
    Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)
    Posts
    2,033

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    i don't know how i got approval, but i was allowed to live off campus at the start of my Freshman year. only stayed in a dorm for one night, and that was during orientation...of course i was living with my aunt and uncle, who live in Ruston, for my Freshman and Soph. years, but it wasn't a problem at all to live off campus...

  13. #13
    BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    8,825

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    Living in the dorms my first two years was fun as hell.

    So many 4 AM treks back to Caruthers after a long night at the Sig house, stopping to finish our drinks on the Memorial Gym steps and watch the sun come up.

    Fan-freakin-tastic. Vote yes to mandatory dorms.

    Students still being attached to momma's tit makes them go home on the weekends, not living in the dorms. Get involved. Join a club sport. Go through rush. Join some organizations. Make new friends.

  14. #14
    Champ olddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant futureolddog75 has a brilliant future
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    5,148

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    I lived all four years in the dorms, having no car and no cooking skills lead me to those decisions. My freshman year in Mitchell with a pot luck roommate was the best. Heck, I was pledge class scholar with a 2.7 gpa the first quarter.

    Both my sons are Tech grads and only spent one/two years in the dorms. I just told the housing department that they were moving off campus and if there was going to be a problem to let me know.

    80 hour requirement is uninforceable based on the school's operating standards (your actions speak so loud I can't hear what you are saying). They don't even have "freshman dorms" anymore, so there is alot less of the dorm bonding going on.

  15. #15
    Champ Bossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really niceBossdawg is just really nice Bossdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    McKinney, TX
    Posts
    2,443

    Re: Dorm Requirements

    You wusses, living in Caruthers and Neilson are some of the most character building experiences you can have. If you can get through that, the rest of your life should be a breeze.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts