+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dorm Requirements

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Dorm Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by olddog75 View Post
    On another note, where will the next 400-600 university apartments be built?
    Some of them will be built where our tennis courts are located at Tech Dr. and Alabama.

The plan was to build the rest of the apartments towards downtown on the east side of campus.

Tech has been aquiring land on that side of campus, but I think we have not been able to buy out that txi plant which is throwing a kink into things.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    I know those dorms are eye sores, but they can be beneficial to the fire departments here. They are supposed to let us and Ruston Fire Dept. train on high-rise firefighting and rescue before the buildings are torn down. Our training tower is only 4 stories and doesn't have a standpipe connection for a sprinkler system. We also can't train on elevator rescues. We were approved and scheduled before the hurricanes to use Caruthers, but that got all messed up. We are waiting approval again to be able to train there.
    I think it would be interesting to watch firefighers train on caruthers. Would they actually, repeatedly, set fire to the dorm?

We also suggested having some paintball wars inside of there, but housing said it was too dangerous.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Why do Tech need a parking garage? Theres ton of parking now. I've been down to Ruston this year and had no problem finding places to park around campus. It's ten times better now after i graduated.
    Looking to the future. In my opinion, it would allow for a more efficient use of space, keeping the close feel of the campus while allowing for an expansion of the infrastructure to support future growth.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Looking to the future. In my opinion, it would allow for a more efficient use of space, keeping the close feel of the campus while allowing for an expansion of the infrastructure to support future growth.
    I agree that a parking garage would be nice. The apartments helped a lot, though. Since, those cars were given new spaces, it freed up some more on the other side of the tracks.

On the fire fighter practice, that would be fun to watch.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

parking garage is needed. even though it is slightly easier to find parking now than years past, it is still a MAJOR problem. there are a few windows when you can definately find a spot, otherwise, your screwed... and yes, it's because we are lazy college students why we want a parking garage and such. walking more than 20 yards to anywhere is too much for our fast-paced world...

as is, i wish someone would donate a few billion dollars to tech (in the 5-6 range) and tech needs to start over from scrath for the university. tear it all down and build it back up DIFFERENT... the whole campus needs to be replaced (save iFm, new bio med building, and up). the buildings are outdated and falling apart... and everything has just kinda been placed in random spots " hey, there's an open area, let's throw a building there and call it progress!"... campus is beautiful for the most part, just not well designed or anything... just a total random placement and it sucks...

an ROTC buddy said the rocket was scrapped and recycled... but i trust his word about as much as y'all do oakes...

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    On the fire fighter practice, that would be fun to watch.
    Maybe we can find out the dates and bust out a grill, a cooler, and a few lawn chairs.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I think it would be interesting to watch firefighers train on caruthers. Would they actually, repeatedly, set fire to the dorm?

We also suggested having some paintball wars inside of there, but housing said it was too dangerous.

Sorry, probably not gonna be any fires set. In order to intentionally burn down buildings for training purposes, I think, the buildings must be cleaned of hazardous materials( i.e. asbestos, etc.)

We would probably do firefighter survival(bailing out of windows with a rope wrapped around you.....no harness....very fun), confined space rescue and elevator rescues, hose advancement up stairwells, as well as, using our ladder and aerial trucks doing window rescues......and other stuff like this. This is my guess of what would happen, I am not positive of what all we would do.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, probably not gonna be any fires set. In order to intentionally burn down buildings for training purposes, I think, the buildings must be cleaned of hazardous materials( i.e. asbestos, etc.)

We would probably do firefighter survival(bailing out of windows with a rope wrapped around you.....no harness....very fun), confined space rescue and elevator rescues, hose advancement up stairwells, as well as, using our ladder and aerial trucks doing window rescues......and other stuff like this. This is my guess of what would happen, I am not positive of what all we would do.
    Still sounds fun to watch. There should be plenty of opportunity to do elevator rescues even now. Back in the 80's, I was getting stuck in those Caruther's elevators. The worst was when I was stuck in a Wyly Tower one, though. The whole thing shut down - no electricity - and we were packed in there like sardines. A TRULY memorable moment.

2006 Bowl Confidence Champion firedog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nicefiredog is just really nice firedog's Avatar

I have heard Tech has at least one person a day stuck in an elevator on campus. The fire department isn't called unless it is an emergency. Tech usually just waits on the elevator maintenance man to get there.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I have heard Tech has at least one person a day stuck in an elevator on campus. The fire department isn't called unless it is an emergency. Tech usually just waits on the elevator maintenance man to get there.
    I had noticed that there is usually an elevator service truck on campus. I was beginning to wonder (seriously) whether they had a satellite office on campus. Glad to know it's just SNAFU.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

tech is buying the whole block east of bogard, where the used book store is. they take possession in june, i believe. i dont know when they will start tearing buildins down or building new ones after that.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

If my memory serves me correctly, the building to the east of Bogard also houses (housed?) the elevator repair folks. If they're looking to use that land for something else, it could be a good thing the fire department is wanting to train on elevator rescues...

I got stuck in the elevators in Wyly once, too. Not fun. I lost count of how many times I got stuck in the elevators in Caruthers. After a quarter or so I just took the stairs every time.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

i guess i can count myself lucky to have never been stuck in the elevators on campus. there were the times that the ones in the library were extra slow and the times that the doors opening before it stopped...

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

The biggest regret I had in college was moving OUT of the dorms. Living off campus is overrated.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

there is at least one person stuck a day - the seriousness varies though... some are in there until the company guy gets there, some until the officers get there, and some get out almost immediately after they call due to passerbys, themselves, or just the door is really, really delayed or something... so there is a great variation...

there is NO elevator "satellite" office on or around campus... the company has people "strategically" placed throughout their areas of coverage to respond to such events (non-emergency)... the nearest person for TECH lives in the jonesboro-hodge area... when a person is really stuck, that's who they call... the next closet is in dallas... the police, housing, and resident all hate this company, and they are trying to get a new one... i believe the current company that does our elevator work is thyssen krupp ... the only time the fire dept will be called is if it is an emergency

+ Reply to Thread