+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iraq...... Then and now!

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Re: Iraq...... Then and now!

If I may make a comment......

I did not start this thread to rehash ALL the old arguments about WMD. In point of fact...... I had no way of knowing that WMDs would even be listed by anyone as a "reason".

I was simply curious about how many posters on this board still felt America was right to invade Iraq, and the reasons for them feeling so.

Anyone certainly has the right to keyboard-fight all they like through this thread...... But I began this more than very limited survey of sorts, in a genuine effort to try to understand the feelings and beliefs of others, whether I agree with them or not.

It was not my intent to demean anyone on this board who was proud enough to state their honest opinion.

Perhaps the fault is mine?
    Perhaps I should have set a date for the end of this "survey"...... Like that other thread?
    Perhaps I should have appealed to others on this board to stand off...... Until all who still feel America was right to invade Iraq (and wished to be heard) had the opportunity do so, without challenge and with the opportunity to state their honest reasons for feeling as they still do?
    Perhaps I assumed too much by thinking that others here might be interested in HEARING other honest opinions...... And perhaps learn something of value?

Anyway...... I'll try again.
    11-11-06 by 11:00 A.M. Sound familiar?

And anyone may do as they like......
    But my current interest remains ONLY with any who would care to be heard on this thread for its original and actual purpose.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

I was one who was 100% behind the war in Iraq. I think it's a big mistake to sit here 3 years later and criticize why we went to Iraq. You have to go back and think about the mood of the country after Sept. 11, 2001. You have to try and put yourself in George Bush's position as the president who is responsible for protecting the citizens of this country. We had been attacked and lost 3000 citizens. I really believed then and still do everything George Bush has done since that time is to prevent another attack on the U.S. and he's done a pretty good job of it.

Intelligence from the CIA and the British all showed that Iraq was in possession of WMD's and many democrats from Bill Clinton to John Kerry are on record as saying the same thing. I have mentioned this in a post a couple of years ago but I'll repeat it again, I was at a meeting back in September of 2002 before we invaded Iraq and Mike Ross D-Rep. from Arkansas was the guest spreaker. I have a great amount of respect for Mike Ross and think he is one of the good guys. He was asked point blank if we were going to invade Iraq. He answered without hesitation that we had no choice. He stated he had been in on briefings with generals he trusted and respected that said Iraq could smuggle WMD's into this country that would make Sept 11, 2001 look small. Mike Ross wasn't the only Democrat who believed that. This was the mood of the country back then. We attacked and overthrew the Hussein government in short order. We have now been fighting terrorists in Iraq for the last couple of years. That is where the batteground is at this point, not on our soil. I would rather have it that way than for the war to be going on in our cities. Have we made mistakes, sure, show me a war we've ever been in that didn't have mistakes and cost lives. We have neutralized Osama Bin Laden, if he's even still alive. If he is he's hiding out in some sh#t hole in Pakistan.

It's real easy to look back and be critical of this war but hindsight is 20-20. Enough of the monday morning quarterbacking.

Champ Spinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant futureSpinoza has a brilliant future Spinoza's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARKDAWG02 View Post
    I was one who was 100% behind the war in Iraq. I think it's a big mistake to sit here 3 years later and criticize why we went to Iraq. You have to go back and think about the mood of the country after Sept. 11, 2001. You have to try and put yourself in George Bush's position as the president who is responsible for protecting the citizens of this country. We had been attacked and lost 3000 citizens. I really believed then and still do everything George Bush has done since that time is to prevent another attack on the U.S. and he's done a pretty good job of it.

Intelligence from the CIA and the British all showed that Iraq was in possession of WMD's and many democrats from Bill Clinton to John Kerry are on record as saying the same thing. I have mentioned this in a post a couple of years ago but I'll repeat it again, I was at a meeting back in September of 2002 before we invaded Iraq and Mike Ross D-Rep. from Arkansas was the guest spreaker. I have a great amount of respect for Mike Ross and think he is one of the good guys. He was asked point blank if we were going to invade Iraq. He answered without hesitation that we had no choice. He stated he had been in on briefings with generals he trusted and respected that said Iraq could smuggle WMD's into this country that would make Sept 11, 2001 look small. Mike Ross wasn't the only Democrat who believed that. This was the mood of the country back then. We attacked and overthrew the Hussein government in short order. We have now been fighting terrorists in Iraq for the last couple of years. That is where the batteground is at this point, not on our soil. I would rather have it that way than for the war to be going on in our cities. Have we made mistakes, sure, show me a war we've ever been in that didn't have mistakes and cost lives. We have neutralized Osama Bin Laden, if he's even still alive. If he is he's hiding out in some sh#t hole in Pakistan.

It's real easy to look back and be critical of this war but hindsight is 20-20. Enough of the monday morning quarterbacking.
    I appreciate your reply...... But your narrative form confuses me a bit.

Do I understand you "reasons"correctly?

America had been attacked and it is still unknown with any certainty if Saddam was somehow involved.
    Saddam may have had WMDs that could have eventually been sold to or given to TERRORISTS, and subsequently employed against America.
    It is still unknown with any degree of certainty if Saddam had any such weapons. But if he did, these WMDs may still exist somewhere and could still become TERRORIST weapons against America.
    The war in Iraq has probably aided in the prevention of any substansial post 911 attack(s) on American soil.
    The war in Iraq, to date, has confined all attacks on Americans to the limited arena of our American military activity in Iraq itself.
    The war in Iraq continues to "neutralize" Osama Bin Laden and significantly lessen any future threat he may have previously presented.

Your reply, without a doubt, is the most extensive "reason" oriented response to date.

If I have erred in any way in deciphering or interpreting your narrative...... Please correct me.

Hopefully......
    Any other furture replies will simply list reason #1...... #2...... etc., and erase any need for me to attempt a subjective effort toward an objective summary.

Thank you once again for your sincere reply.

Varsity Bulldog dogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by ARKDAWG02 View Post

Intelligence from the CIA and the British all showed that Iraq was in possession of WMD's and many democrats from Bill Clinton to John Kerry are on record as saying the same thing.
    I have mentioned this in a post a couple of years ago but I'll repeat it again, I was at a meeting back in September of 2002 before we invaded Iraq and Mike Ross D-Rep. from Arkansas was the guest spreaker. I have a great amount of respect for Mike Ross and think he is one of the good guys. He was asked point blank if we were going to invade Iraq. He answered without hesitation that we had no choice.
    He stated he had been in on briefings with generals he trusted and respected that said Iraq could smuggle WMD's into this country that would make Sept 11, 2001 look small. Mike Ross wasn't the only Democrat who believed that. This was the mood of the country back then. We attacked and overthrew the Hussein government in short order. We have now been fighting terrorists in Iraq for the last couple of years. That is where the batteground is at this point, not on our soil. I would rather have it that way than for the war to be going on in our cities. Have we made mistakes, sure, show me a war we've ever been in that didn't have mistakes and cost lives. We have neutralized Osama Bin Laden, if he's even still alive. If he is he's hiding out in some sh#t hole in Pakistan.

Why dont you ask Mr. Ross if we should invade N. Korea. They've got wmd's. They hate the U.S. more than Iraq ever has. It surprises me that you republicans continue to cling to Bush's bullcrap even after America spoke out against his radical thinking this past Tuesday night. I guess it just shows how uneducated a certain segment of America really is. Like John Kerry said, you do your homework and study hard...........you won't get stuck in Iraq (Like our one track minded President).

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Seems to me there is a historical parallel to examine. FDR declared war on Germany after we were attacked by Japan. I suppose today's Bush-bashers need to study the reasons why.

Fortunately, then, as now, adults were in charge when this nation needed sound leadership.

(er, Congress declares war, but the Prez usually has to ask for it)

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Seems to me there is a historical parallel to examine. FDR declared war on Germany after we were attacked by Japan. I suppose today's Bush-bashers need to study the reasons why.

Fortunately, then, as now, adults were in charge when this nation needed sound leadership.

(er, Congress declares war, but the Prez usually has to ask for it)
    Correction......

It was Hitler that declared war on The United States after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, despite the fact that his alliance with Japan did not require him to do so. Historians generally consider this to be one of Hitler's great errors. Is is right up there with the supreme Japanese military blunder of opting to start a war with America, rather than attacking Russia and forcing Stalin to fight on two fronts against superior foes.

History offers us many opportunities to learn a great deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinoza View Post
    I appreciate your reply...... But your narrative form confuses me a bit.

Do I understand you "reasons"correctly?

America had been attacked and it is still unknown with any certainty if Saddam was somehow involved.
    Saddam may have had WMDs that could have eventually been sold to or given to TERRORISTS, and subsequently employed against America.
    It is still unknown with any degree of certainty if Saddam had any such weapons. But if he did, these WMDs may still exist somewhere and could still become TERRORIST weapons against America.
    The war in Iraq has probably aided in the prevention of any substansial post 911 attack(s) on American soil.
    The war in Iraq, to date, has confined all attacks on Americans to the limited arena of our American military activity in Iraq itself.
    The war in Iraq continues to "neutralize" Osama Bin Laden and significantly lessen any future threat he may have previously presented.

Your reply, without a doubt, is the most extensive "reason" oriented response to date.

If I have erred in any way in deciphering or interpreting your narrative...... Please correct me.

Hopefully......
    Any other furture replies will simply list reason #1...... #2...... etc., and erase any need for me to attempt a subjective effort toward an objective summary.

Thank you once again for your sincere reply.
    The official results of a very unofficial poll......

3 regular contributors to this forum state they continue to believe that it was right for America to initiate a war against Iraq.

All three of these individuals list their continued belief that Saddam had WMDs...... As a just reason for the war.

1 poster has listed what appear to be 4 other reasons that I have tried to adquately describe above. Since Arkdawg has not corrected my post, I must assume that I have adequately decribed his meaning from his narrative reply.

That's it...... This brief survey is now concluded.

My thanks to the few members of this board who had the fortitude to expess their honest beliefs and participate on this thread.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

Let me clear up one thing in your response. I think the overall war on terror which includes Iran and Afghanistan as well as the effort here and in other countries to monitor terrorist activities and head off attacks has helped make neutralize Osama Bin Laden. You have to see things in the overall big picture.

+ Reply to Thread