+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volunteer Corps

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Volunteer Corps

Quote Originally Posted by baddawg View Post
    Today I called and volunteered to do whatever I could from Houston. The man I talked to, I don't want to post his name because he seemed like he really did want to help, didn't sound like they had any real plan put together for what they wanted the volunteers to do. He took my name, phone number, and email but couldn't tell me what I could do to help. He also said I was the first person that had called. I think that is pretty sad considering how many people on here complain about not being included and not having any say so in what goes on. One thing that did encourage me is that he did say that if I had any suggestions they would be open to listening and trying new things. I want to see if Oakes is actually trying or just doing this so he can say he is trying. I challenge all of you to do the same, I know we are all very dissapointed in him and the state of our program but if we all volunteer then he can't use the alumni as an excuse anymore. If we all volunteer and he still acts the same way, ingnoring our suggestions and turning us away then that will be one more thing we can use against him.

So get off your soapboxes for a few minutes tomorrow and call.

Bubby, Kyle, Fomby, Travis, Tynes that means you. Everybody else too.

Hawkins at 255-1962 or Jimmy Hand at 257-4111.
    I posted this on the other thread, but wanna post it here because I think that it applies well. Stay on em baddawg.

Like it, Love it, Hate it; Who cares.... JOIN it.

#1. It's for YOUR school... not Jim.
    #2. Don't give Jim an out of "Well, I tried, but it was the alumni's fault for not helping me."
    #3. It's for YOUR school... not Jim.
    #4. There are things that we can do. (Carry the track bleachers to DR's driveway, help paint BBB logo's all over campus, help power wash the stadium)
    #5. It's for YOUR school... not Jim.
    #6. The more of "us" that can help out and join together, the stronger that our voice can be.
    #7 It's for YOUR school... not Jim.

I'm figuring that for the tickets things, we prolly all do that on a daily basis anyways. When you see someone in a TECH shift, hat, jacket, etc. just go up to them and just TALK. They will tell you where they stand, how/if they donate, and other things that are important if you LISTEN.

• soliciting for season ticket sales and Champs memberships ~ Do it anytime I see TECH gear; even have BBB biz cards in my car and hand them out on any car with a TECH sticker.
    • assisting with general improvements such as painting projects ~ Would love to help fix the Tennis courts and help the man (WADE) with anything that he asked me for.
    • serving as ambassadors for Tech Athletics by visiting with civic clubs ~ not sure what this means, but if it means talking TECH sports with TECH fans, isn't that reason #1 that we come on this board anyways??
    • serving as ticket takers and greeters at athletic events ~ ok, not crazy about this.
    • distributing promotional materials to area businesses such as schedule posters, schedule cards, bumper stickers, etc. ~ WOO WHHOOO! That means that I get to distrubute some to ME!!
    • participating in phone banks to thank fans for supporting Tech Athletics ~ This should be for the players, not random fans... but whatever works.
    • offering tutorial assistance to student-athletes ~ If they are willing to learn, then I'll try and help where I can. Hell if I understand it right, that's what Boxer (and prolly others) does on a daily basis.
    • serving as mentors for student-athletes ~ Hell, you guys already are my apprentices anyways; might as well get some more admirers.

So who all is in??

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

wade simoneaux has had no problem finding volunteers. Like Nad said, plenty of help has been offered to JO in the past and he turned it down. The volunteer program is simply a reaction to the criticism he is taking. Its about saving his job and not about helping tech.

Champ baddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to behold baddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    wade simoneaux has had no problem finding volunteers. Like Nad said, plenty of help has been offered to JO in the past and he turned it down. The volunteer program is simply a reaction to the criticism he is taking. Its about saving his job and not about helping tech.
    The only problem with taking that approach is that I don't think his job is in jeopardy. Yeah I think that he finally realizes that only DR and Kyle Daniel support him, but that doesn't mean he is getting fired anytime soon. So I am going to see if I can help, like DocMarvin said it is for my school not Jim. I doubt that anyone is suddenly going to change their mind about him if they volunteer to help out the athletic department. Maybe he has finally realized that he needs help. Who cares what the case is just call and give em your name it might actually make a dfference. The people on this board have shown that when they work together to achieve somehting it can be done. If we all volunteer and start speaking with one voice he will have to listen or risk alienating more people. So pick up the phone and call.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her game

I called Hawkins today. I was the 3rd caller. From what he said, the other 2 that called are also members of BB&B (he did not know that but the description of the individuals he gave clued me in). So far, no one from within Louisiana has even called.

I agree that this is a piss poor attempt and that it is very little very late but we can at least offer our services.

Hawkins semms like a very nice guy, maybe something productive will come out of it.

DAWGY

Champ baddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to behold baddawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgy Dog View Post
    I called Hawkins today. I was the 3rd caller. From what he said, the other 2 that called are also members of BB&B (he did not know that but the description of the individuals he gave clued me in). So far, no one from within Louisiana has even called.

I agree that this is a piss poor attempt and that it is very little very late but we can at least offer our services.

Hawkins semms like a very nice guy, maybe something productive will come out of it.

DAWGY

Can I get an AMEN!!!! from the congregation.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Here's my two cents: I think we should attempt to influence the system in any way we can. On the one hand, this is a way we (i.e, those who choose to help) can directly support and be involved in the development of Tech athletics. On the other hand, it reinforces the message that what we MAINLY want is change and progress; replacing the AD is part of that, and getting stuff done at Tech is another part of that.

I can totally understand why folks on here wouldn't want to do ANYTHING that might give JO any satisfaction or, God forbid, save his job. I could be wrong, but I believe that as long as we continue to support the movement to have him replaced, helping with the volunteer thing won't necessarily slow down that movement. Ideally, we can get some momentum of hands-on support that will continue and help the new AD get settled in! (Hey, Admins: Can we get a "pollyanna" smiley?)

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by grimey View Post
    I would suggest talking straight to the coaches and offer to help. The athletic department will take a name. If you talk to some of the coaches, they will quickly let you know how you can help.
    I know I am not the only one doing what grimey suggests. I have helped volleyball with their junior tournament selling hot dogs, painted the softball batting cage, even purchased the missing metal letters for the Lady Techster Softball sign, etc. This may sound like small potatoes to some, but those athletes and coaches love any support they can get. I am ashamed that the volleyball team has to wait tables at high school banquets to obtain enough funds to make it through the season. Every year, I go to the head coaches of three of our 'underfunded' sports and ask what my family can do to help, whether it is work on their facilities or donate to a specific project.

I hope this doesn't sound like bragging--I do it for our school, not any recognition. I'm just pointing out that anyone can help and there are many ways to help. Whether you join the new volunteer group, help in some other way, or donate financially, support our athletes and our university. It doesn't matter who the athletic director is--my loyalty is to TECH and I will always do whatever I can to support it and the young people who represent it on the playing field.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baddawg View Post
    The only problem with taking that approach is that I don't think his job is in jeopardy. Yeah I think that he finally realizes that only DR and Kyle Daniel support him, but that doesn't mean he is getting fired anytime soon. So I am going to see if I can help, like DocMarvin said it is for my school not Jim. I doubt that anyone is suddenly going to change their mind about him if they volunteer to help out the athletic department. Maybe he has finally realized that he needs help. Who cares what the case is just call and give em your name it might actually make a dfference. The people on this board have shown that when they work together to achieve somehting it can be done. If we all volunteer and start speaking with one voice he will have to listen or risk alienating more people. So pick up the phone and call.

Also, an added bonus is this gets you inside the athletic department, per se, and gives you the ability to come in contact with others who can be persuaded to join the movement. As long as you get to them before Kyle does.

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

DAWGY

I was one the ones that have called. I left a message, but I tried and will call back.

So how many of you have called so far.

Big Dog bdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the roughbdub is a jewel in the rough

Pretty sure that this entire volunteer corps was an idea of a former athletic dept. employee....funny how things are turned down and then jim puts them into action years later as his own idea/plan....

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Yes it has been pointed out that this was an idea of Ronny Walker. One of many that he tried to get in place, but JO didn't seem to think they were good ideas at the time. JO must have a file full of ideas from others that he's waiting to pull out when needed for damage control.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

A few years ago, altadawg offered up a good proposal to Jim to help us sell season tickets for fball and bball. As one might expect, it was turned down.

Varsity Bulldog Dawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her gameDawgy Dog is on top of his/her game

How about everyone call the number and volunteer instead of discussing whos idea it was?
    We know this program will not change anything, but they asked for help, we bit#% and moan becasue we never get asked for input, well here is your chance.

I also think Joaks should be fired, if you were wondering.

DAWGY

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

How about everyone call the number and volunteer instead of discussing whos idea it was?
    We know this program will not change anything, but they asked for help, we bit#% and moan becasue we never get asked for input, well here is your chance.

DAWGY
    I agree.
    Last edited by OmahaDawg; 11-10-2006 at 05:04 PM.

+ Reply to Thread