+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Student's take on Oakes

Puppy Phantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around here Phantom Red Dotter's Avatar

The Student's take on Oakes

This was a facebook post that was brought unto my attention. The original post was made by the Abominable Gorilla in reference to a Tech Talk article in last weeks edition and the subsequent replies to the post were made be "T":

AG: It is an interesting experience to see a University in such turmoil. It seems a large number of people would like to see Louisiana Tech with a new Athletic Director and have resorted to arm bands, banners, and even a website. These people are taking advantage of their freedom of speech to voice what they believe. Until now, I've done my best to stay out of the situation.

The major complaints against our athletic director are the schedules we play in football, the condition of our facilities, and the records of our teams. In summary, it seems that money is the root of the problem.

In several occassions, Mom has reminded me that "money doesn't grow on trees (not even "Oak" trees)." I was recently informed that only 9% of university athletics operate within their own means. This leads to an overwhelming question. Where does the rest of the money come from? Donations! Maybe we would be able to schedule easier teams in football if the attendance was higher and alumni were donating more money. But, since we are constrained to work within our own means and since we aren't very large alumni support, our response is to schedule money games. Personally, I don't want to see easier teams on the schedule. I would rather beat the teams we play now. Perhaps we could recruit easier and better condition our athletes with some upgrades to the facilities? Once again, the problem is money. But unless our new AD owns a money tree, getting rid of our athletic director isn't going to fix the perceived problems.

Fortunately, the situation is backwards. As it turns out, the joke IS on you. The teams are going to continue to build whether we have your support or not. My advice is to join in before the work is completed.

And in continuing, I don't care what Matt Dearman says, the football team hasn't given up. If our football team had given up, they wouldn't have bothered to come back on North Texas. I believe the situation is quite the opposite. Matt Dearman can count himself as one of the fans who gave up on the Tech baseball team that found itself down to #3 MSU. He can also count himself as one of the fans that works at the Tiger Rag. Maybe he's more suited to be a bandwagon fan, I dunno.

Don't be a hater. Leave the banners at home and dedicate game time to supporting the players. Don't be a Matt Dearman. No one likes the smell of corn dogs.

I love Louisiana Tech University. I don't love this school because of JO or any other person, I love this school because it is my school and because of what this school has done for me. I encourage you to do the same.

Go to the games (not just football, all of them). These players aren't the professional athletes that are separated by a television screen. They are our fellow students, our classmates, and our friends. Support them, and while you're there...

GO APE FOR TECH!

"T": First, anybody who calls Matt Dearman a "bandwaggon fan" really has no idea what they are talking about. I'm not sure if the team is giving up (although it is totally possible) but the coaches sure seem to have. Plus any time you have 4 players quit just after mid season, something is wrong internally. (football issue) As far as money goes, you are totally right. Money does not grow on trees. It does however get spent on $80,000 board room tables or $10,000 drinking fountains by big business cooperations. It is rather easy in many cases to come up with alot of money for cooperator sponsorships. Heck West Monroe HIGH SCHOOL got ... Coke I believe it was... to build them a brand new Jumbotron for their HIGH SCHOOL stadium. Heck we cant even hear the PA system on the East side of the stadium, let alone see a replay on a big screen. The TAC floor is definitely in much worse shape than my High School's court. (Denham Springs Baby!) We can't even host track meets because our "bleachers"....
    ...are condemned. And the tennis courts? Yeah.. I'm not even sure I need to go there. The lanes in the Kennel that our bowlers use are pathetic. [I know, I took bowling twice ] And our poor softball players have to play on that excuse of a field that we have. You ever see them crossing Tech drive? They have to use the Baseball field facilities to change clothes in! Not to mention that you pretty much need night vision goggles to play on that field. -- Old football lights should have gone to the track field, track lights to the baseball field, baseball lights to the softball field, and softball lights to the intramural fields no?-- Money doesn't grow on trees, it takes work to get it. AD doesn't just get paid to schedule games.. they get paid to bring in revenue from cooperate AND private sponsors, not just one or the other. As for Tech fans, I'm not sure you can use "we" (in references to you, the Tech Admin, and our athletic teams) and "you" (in reference to every body who doesn't

share in your opinion). If McDonald's hires a manager, and over their years at the helm that McD's goes to crap, is it cooperate McDonald's fault? Mmm.. Pretty sure not. Cooperate is going to make a regime change without hesitation. Joe this hasn't been going on just since you've gotten here. There are alot of Alumni out there young and old alike that have sat through these past years sitting on their hands and holding their tongues; they are the main proponents of this... revolution if you will. That is what makes America what it is.. the freedom of choice to change those in positions of authority. The day the government fails to serve it's people is the day the people shall rise up and reestablish a working government that will fulfill the needs of it's people. Louisiana Tech is a government institution just like any other. The people that have been loyal to Louisiana Tech for 40, 50, and 60 years seem to think that they are being ill heeded, overlooked, and under served. That seems

to me that it would bee reason enough to DO SOMETHING. What we have done in the past years.. has done nothing but negatively impact the proud tradition of athletic excellence upheld by so many generations of Bulldogs and Techsters prior. I do, and will always continue to support all of Louisiana Tech's athletics, no matter how good or how bad and no matter who is the assistant coach, coach, AD, University President, Governor of Louisiana, or President of the United States of America. And in that Loyalty to Louisiana Tech, I will do and promote what I feel is in the best interest of the University itself! I personally have gained alot from Jim Oakes being the Athletic Director, but I have seen our University suffer much greater losses. In risk of losing any benefits by being supportive of Jim Oakes, he is not the answer. How many more years do we need to figure that out. For instance, of the 11,250ish students enrolled each year at tech, each student pays 10 per quarter as a fee

going strictly to Louisiana Tech athletics. That is roughly $337,500 per year. This money of the past few years as been sitting... doing absolutely nothing! Sounds like good financial management to me. It must be nice to receive a very substantial bonus every year for coming in under budget as well. It sounds like a good way to deter any sort of facility improvement. Louisiana Tech is making some improvements. (Field Turf and New Lights) Both of which were covered by an anonymous 1 million dollar donor. Jim Oakes had nearly no involvement in these projects getting pushed through, merely money passing through his hands. Do I hate Jim Oakes? No. I see him more of a father who treats my mother poorly. Not malicious or spiteful, but unattached and under involved. It hurts to see my Alma Matter suffer in the pain of neglect, yearning to be treated like the Queen that she is. I will be graduating in March (Winter Quarter) and I was thinking as I walked by the Lady of the Mist of

The Lady's significance: To welcome in new Bulldogs and Techsters to their new home for the years to come and to usher out and bid farewell to those of us who are leaving and going on our various paths into the world. As I felt a tear in my eye, I noticed that The Lady no longer looked the same as She did four years ago; my Alma Matter looked tired and weathered.. as if in need of her Children to join together in a time of happiness and joy. As our Academic Program has grown, we have lost sight of the very thing that attracts students as well as others to a college town like Ruston. The magic in the air. The school spirit and school pride that come with having a successful athletic program. Many countries are very intellectual (Japan) but lack what truly makes a country great- creativity, the production of fun. That's why the U.S. is different from most other countries. Tech has lost it's ability to generate fun. Watching your team who you love and adore.. idolize if I dare..

watching them loose, is not fun. Especially not in facilities that are unfit for the caliber players that for some reason have not given up on Louisiana Tech University. I personally will not give up either, especially when it means doing nothing and accepting the things that are already in place.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: The Student's take on Oakes

i have never agreed with "t" more or thought ag was as big of an idiot (and i've thought him a big one at times) than i do now.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Well this senior student definately agrees with "T". And needless to say it is very disappointing and disheartening to have witnessed in my four years the continued decline of our entire athletic department.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Some of you engineering guys(read...Asinine Gorilla) seem to have tunnel vision with regards to our university...Reneau doesn't pay any attention to anything else. Glad you're getting all your buildings built...meanwhile, our athletic program is a huge joke and other programs are neglected.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 11-12-2006 at 01:49 PM. Reason: Obviously, many engineering guys DO get it.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

WOW!!!

This engineering guy does not.

The gorilla continues to show his stupidity.

Great response T.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I think AG has lost all grasp of reality if he believes that the TECH teams are building. There is certainly no building going on at TECH. The team is terrible and there is no hope of beating anyone. There is simply no one in the admin. that cares. Even the diehards have lost all hope. If everything stays status quo for next year there will not be 10,000 in the stands for any game except maybe homecoming.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

What the crap? The Biomed building is all that is new (and that is from donated money as well). Meanwhile the rest of the ENGRs are stuck with Bogard and Nethken. Please JL quit talking out of spite. Clearly you know nothing of what is going on with the campus. They just renovated CAB. Look at UP as well (with plans of more housing in near future). Lambright has new workout equipment (with plans of more ath upgrades in the near future as well).

BTW BLUE aren't you a Biomed?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    What the crap? The Biomed building is all that is new (and that is from donated money as well). Meanwhile the rest of the ENGRs are stuck with Bogard and Nethken. Please JL quit talking out of spite. Clearly you know nothing of what is going on with the campus. They just renovated CAB. Look at UP as well (with plans of more housing in near future). Lambright has new workout equipment (with plans of more ath upgrades in the near future as well).

BTW BLUE aren't you a Biomed?
    You're right Juice...engineering isn't Reneau's pet. Most of what went on with the CAB was because the CAB administration raised the money from alumni donations...

That's all besides the point...Our athletic program is in shambles and it boggles the mind that someone can actually defend Oakes and Reneau with regards to Athletics. Oakes is totally unqualified and Reneau is responsible for the longevity of his tenure.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 11-12-2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Juice isn't in engineering...

And for those of you who didn't understand it the first time...

It was my understanding that Oakes was given his job when Johnston promised reneau the new Biomed building...that's what I was alluding too. I have nothing against engineering...every pres has his pets...but wow, I'm not sure the biomed building was worth Oakes....

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You're right Juice...engineering isn't Reneau's pet. Most of what went on with the CAB was because the CAB administration raised the money from alumni donations...

Clearly, you don't know what it's like to go to an engineering school and not be an engineering student...

That's all besides the point...Our athletic program is in shambles and it boggles the mind that someone can actually defend Oakes and Reneau with regards to Athletics. Oakes is totally unqualified and Reneau is responsible for the longevity of his tenure.
    Yes I have no clue what it is like to go to an engineering school and not be an engineering student. Great point there. (BTW my major is CIS).

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

David,

I think, if you were going to post this, you should have posted it under your other name, "T." You shouldn't get to pretend to be a third party. You've received a lot of free goodies from JO. Don't you feel a little hippocritical taking gifts from a guy if you feel this way?

We are all entitled to our opinion. I've got mine and all of you have yours.

Engineering is not getting "all our buildings built." Bogard is falling apart too. I was included in a group of about a dozen or so people who painted downstairs (come check it out, it looks nice). This is one out of a dozen times I've been involved in a group to fix Bogard. I've met every other opportunity to improve the engineering resources (built the trebuchet, brought in and paid for guest speakers).

The same is true for athletics. Each time I've been asked to do something for athletics, I've met the response. Posters are up at the high schools to advertise Tech athletics (all of them). Fliers went out around campus for home games (thousands of them). I've personally donated money (not easy for a college student). David, if you feel a job isn't being done, why aren't you helping? You've sought sponsors for the Blue to get money so you can go on more road trips, so you can purchase a paint gun to paint easier, for food, etc. Couldn't those sponsors be Tech sponsors instead? David, you complain that JO isn't doing his job. You are a member of the Tip Off Club Board of Directors; yet, you haven't shown up for any of the work.

I guess you are still entitled to an opinion, but if you aren't working to be part of a solution, it seems too easy to start pointing the finger. You can all think me an idiot, but I am an idiot who has done everything I can to make the school a better place than when I left it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    Yes I have no clue what it is like to go to an engineering school and not be an engineering student. Great point there. (BTW my major is CIS).
    My bad...either way, the point still stands regardless of your major. Reneau has NO clue about athletics and it is killing our athletic program.

I fail to see how T not showing up for a meeting makes it okay for Oakes to be completely inept.

Sign your name pansy.

And no, this isn't an engineering issue...I'll agree with that. This is about Ruston cronyism and failing to get the job done and it has EVERYTHING TO DO WITH DAN RENEAU! That's where the buck stops. Reneau will have get huge kudos from me if he cans Oakes, but it's not going to happen because he doesn't care.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I fail to see how T not showing up for a meeting makes it okay for Oakes to be completely inept.
    My point was that people who aren't doing their own work should spend less time pointing the finger at other people for not doing work. It doesn't seem right to me for someone to call out JO when they haven't done the tasks they have agreed to the responsibility of doing.

+ Reply to Thread