+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Student's take on Oakes

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: The Student's take on Oakes

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    My point was that people who aren't doing their own work should spend less time pointing the finger at other people for not doing work. It doesn't seem right to me for someone to call out JO when they haven't done the tasks they have agreed to the responsibility of doing.
    Perhaps that's a valid point, but it doesn't change the fact that Oakes is inept. Oakes is responsible for the atheltic department...budget and all. Students not fulfilling their "volunteer" positions has nothing to do with Jim not doing the job he is paid very well to do. Oakes has never been qualified for this job and we are now reaping the benefits.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Spent 4 years in Nethken getting my CS degree.

No doubt, the premier facility on the campus, let me tell ya.

Wait, no, actually it wasn't. In truth, the place is tiled like a huge restroom, and is a dump.

But, DR only cares about us....

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I've explained the building comment and I stand by it.

The point is, Reneau is praised up one side and down the other for his academic accomplishments...even if the praise is deserved (I'm not sure it is all deserved), our athletic downfall is a disgrace. Oakes is the cause of this downfall...Reneau is the reason he's still employed.

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Oakes is the cause of this downfall...Reneau is the reason he's still employed.
    Agreed 100%. Just pointing out that all is not rosey in Engineering land.

Truth be told, I question DR's academic prowess very much. I hear about it, but I just don't see it.

Until athletics and facilities/asthetics improve, I will not support this administration.

Champ baddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to behold baddawg's Avatar

David,

I think, if you were going to post this, you should have posted it under your other name, "T." You shouldn't get to pretend to be a third party. You've received a lot of free goodies from JO. Don't you feel a little hippocritical taking gifts from a guy if you feel this way?

We are all entitled to our opinion. I've got mine and all of you have yours.

Engineering is not getting "all our buildings built." Bogard is falling apart too. I was included in a group of about a dozen or so people who painted downstairs (come check it out, it looks nice). This is one out of a dozen times I've been involved in a group to fix Bogard. I've met every other opportunity to improve the engineering resources (built the trebuchet, brought in and paid for guest speakers).

The same is true for athletics. Each time I've been asked to do something for athletics, I've met the response. Posters are up at the high schools to advertise Tech athletics (all of them). Fliers went out around campus for home games (thousands of them). I've personally donated money (not easy for a college student). David, if you feel a job isn't being done, why aren't you helping? You've sought sponsors for the Blue to get money so you can go on more road trips, so you can purchase a paint gun to paint easier, for food, etc. Couldn't those sponsors be Tech sponsors instead? David, you complain that JO isn't doing his job. You are a member of the Tip Off Club Board of Directors; yet, you haven't shown up for any of the work.

I guess you are still entitled to an opinion, but if you aren't working to be part of a solution, it seems too easy to start pointing the finger. You can all think me an idiot, but I am an idiot who has done everything I can to make the school a better place than when I left it.
    What is the solution then, I'm sure if we knew what it was we would be more than happy to help with it. The problem is that the AD's solution is to sit around and do nothing. It doesn't matter how much others want to help. There is absolutely no plan whatsoever to move our athletic programs forward and in 12 years there never has been. Saying we will support Tech is not going to change anything. As long as the administration continues with the current course we will decline because there is no commitement to success only a commitment to be in the black at the end of the year. Wins and losses do not matter to the AD only the bottom line and only the bottom line.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Juice752 View Post
    BTW BLUE aren't you a Biomed?
    Yes, and your point is...

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baddawg View Post
    What is the solution then, I'm sure if we knew what it was we would be more than happy to help with it. The problem is that the AD's solution is to sit around and do nothing. It doesn't matter how much others want to help. There is absolutely no plan whatsoever to move our athletic programs forward and in 12 years there never has been. Saying we will support Tech is not going to change anything. As long as the administration continues with the current course we will decline because there is no commitement to success only a commitment to be in the black at the end of the year. Wins and losses do not matter to the AD only the bottom line and only the bottom line.
    Most of that post was dedicated to the purpose of saying I don't think it is appropriate for David to be calling me out in this subject matter (especially not under an anonymous name). We are all doing what we think is best for the University. As an alumni, I can respect your opinion that JO is the problem under the understanding that you've said, "I've donated money and tried to help, that didn't work, we have these problems, he won't solve them, etc." I disagree, but at least I can say you have a valid opinion. I don't think JO is the problem and I think he is working towards a solution. I have reasons for my opinion.

As a student and especially as members of the Blue, we have different opportunities to do what we can. Game promotion is always a plus. That's why several members do work towards game promotions. I encourage members of the Blue and other students to join in the volunteer program (there is another post on this).

I've spoken to members of the athletic department about this subject. I encourage others to do the same.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

JOE AND DAVID. Enough of these posts. Keep all of this in house so you don't make comments you both will regret.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE View Post
    Yes, and your point is...
    Simply that you are agreeing with JL on the new building point even though you are an engineering major and know first hand that they don't get as much love as he claims.

Simply that you are agreeing with JL on the new building point even though you are an engineering major and know first hand that they don't get as much love as he claims.
    You're missing the point Juice. As a cowardly red-dotter pointed out in my rep...this is not an engineering issue. It's an administrative issue. This administration gets more credit than it deserves more often than not. Particularly in the area of athletics. I understood Blue's post to mean that he didn't have tunnel vision...not that he necessarily agreed with my point about the buidling...that, apparently, I didn't make very well.

AG,

If Oakes and Reneau aren't the problem, what is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You're missing the point Juice.
    OK I may be missing the point that you were intending to make but that is not what you said. I am sorry for that. But I am done with this thread now. Hopefully, PRD, "T", and AG will be done with this thread as well. We all have other stuff we need to be focusing on this week (finals).

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Johnny got it.

My point was that I don't have tunnel vision with regards to this university.

Champ baddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to beholdbaddawg is a splendid one to behold baddawg's Avatar

Most of that post was dedicated to the purpose of saying I don't think it is appropriate for David to be calling me out in this subject matter (especially not under an anonymous name). We are all doing what we think is best for the University. As an alumni, I can respect your opinion that JO is the problem under the understanding that you've said, "I've donated money and tried to help, that didn't work, we have these problems, he won't solve them, etc." I disagree, but at least I can say you have a valid opinion. I don't think JO is the problem and I think he is working towards a solution. I have reasons for my opinion.

As a student and especially as members of the Blue, we have different opportunities to do what we can. Game promotion is always a plus. That's why several members do work towards game promotions. I encourage members of the Blue and other students to join in the volunteer program (there is another post on this).

I've spoken to members of the athletic department about this subject. I encourage others to do the same.

I suggest you do some research into what other AD's at universities similar to Tech have accomplished in the past 12 years. I think you will find that Oakes is inadequate. Are you aware that some alumni went to Oakes with plan for a jumbotron. The corporate sponsors were already on board which basically would have paid the note on it. For no good reason Oakes declined it. As far as the volunteer program, according to the man I talked to I was the first person that called. When I asked them what I could do he said they didn't even have a plan in place yet for what they wanted the volunteers to do.
    This is just another example of Oakes incompetence. He announces this new volunteer program but has no real plan to make it work. He just announces some vague idea "The Volunteer Corps" and doesn't have any idea on how to make it work. This tells me that this is not a serious effort this is just something to try to take some heat off his sorry ass. The problem for him is that he has been jerking us around for so long that we don't trust anything he does or says anymore.
    I don't know how long you have been at Tech if you are a student I assume only for 3 or 4 years at the most, if I'm wrong please correct me. Many of us have been around for Oakes entire career at Tech. If you have only been there for 3 or 4 years you don't have enough experience with Oakes slapping you in the face yet to stop turning the other cheek and instead hitting back.

Puppy Phantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around herePhantom Red Dotter has turned a few heads around here Phantom Red Dotter's Avatar

The purpose of this thread, as most people realized, was to present two opposing student views on the subject of Jim Oakes. This was not meant to "call out" anybody, nor was it meant to cause any more strife between any of Louisiana Tech's loyal fans. In addition, this post was made on the public forum of facebook and all statements and oppinions are subject to scrutiny.

+ Reply to Thread