+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Annual Memphis CHAMPS Duck Hunt (Jan. 12-14)

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: First Annual Memphis CHAMPS Duck Hunt (Jan. 12-14)

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Good job with this Micheal and the others who planned it. Looks like you guys better wear your under armor. A true Alberta clipper headed in this time.

Thanks. We'll see how it goes.

It looks like the frigid stuff is going to stay north of us, just enough to push millions of ducks in!

I will pack the long handles just in case.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I hope you Memphis hunters are a better shot than this guy.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16866547/?GT1=8921

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

In the late 1970s or maybe as late as 1981, I was hunting a favorite hole of water on an Ozark stream early on a cold morning and was fortunate enough to get mallards in pretty quickly and down my limit of greenheads. The chance of attracting any other legal birds to that spot later in the day are poor, so I got in my pirogue and took up my decoys and downed birds, tossing them all into the decoy bag for convenience.

Later at home I pulled the ducks out of the bag and prepared for the picking and cleaning. One awakened and I discovered that he had survived being the victim of a second shot by being knocked unconscious by a pellet that removed only a little skin from his skull. Yes, he had a broken wing and leg as well, and probably some shot in his body. But the kids didn't want him to die and neither did I.

So he got to live in the bathtub for more than two weeks, being removed to a big cardboard box whenever someone needed to shower (no one complained much about having to do the cleanup before showering because everyone loved that duck). His main diet was soy beans dropped in to soak in the tub.

Less than a month later, he was limping around and happily free about 350 miles to the south on my father's pond on Louisiana 4 southwest of Ringgold.

He lived for at least a decade on that pond with a pair of English call mallards my father kept as free-range pets. After the hen died, the two drakes once disappeared for most of a fall and winter and reappeared in spring, apparently having spent the cold months courting some migrant hens but content to come home for Dad's corn and bounty of table scraps.

When the water was clear (always until someone clearcut some land upstream on the little branch that fed the pond) it was always easy to recognize which drake was the raised-from-the-dead bird because one leg sort of dragged low and it was the one with a band that had been put on many years earlier in Minnesota!

I think the report on the band was that he was less than 3 years old when shot. He had been born on a farm, where the owners kept captive (probably wing-clipped) wild hens, which were visited each spring by wild, migrating drakes. Their progeny were banded and released and rejoined their free-flying cousins to head south to Arkansas, Louisiana and wherever the flocks wintered.

That experience showed me the abiity of fowl to survive major trauma if given a decent period in a cage with corn and water before being turned out to face predators, etc.

The result in the 1990s was rescuing several white chickens and turkeys that had fallen off trucks headed to the plants in northwest Arkansas and having several of them survive despite wing and leg breaks and permanent loss of feathers on breasts, etc.

The white chickens will grow to 17 pounds and the white roosters to 20 but die within a year, but only after the hens produce a lot of nice eggs!

One turkey lived about 7 years and caused us to buy a captive-bred wild tom to be her mate. She was finally killed by ravaging raccoons after developers cleared 30 acres of hardwood timber between our house and the University of Arkansas campus. However, Tom is still king of the yard and clearly wants a new mate!
    Last edited by aubunique; 02-03-2007 at 11:18 AM.

Champ ARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really niceARKDAWG02 is just really nice ARKDAWG02's Avatar

That's pretty neat stuff Aub. If my kids knew about that when they were little I'd probably have had a whole pile of fowl running around my house.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

I had a wood duck "come back to life" in my apartment one time and my 1 1/2 year old lab just about broke the entire apartment and everything in it trying to catch the darn thing. Wasn't funny to me at the time but I still crack up everytime I remember it.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

+ Reply to Thread