+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Band at football games

Champ soccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nice soccer_dawg9's Avatar

Band at football games

Does anyone know why the band sits at the 50-yard line during home games? I think we have one of the most spirited bands in the country and without them some games including basketball you could almost hear a pin drop. But is there any other school in the country that the band sits on the 50-yard line? Is there a difference if the band sits on the 50-yard line or the 20-yard line and in the corner?

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Re: Band at football games

if i'm not mistaken, this subject has been hashed out on this board time and time again into oblivion... some say move, some say stay... but if you really want to see why the band should stay on the 50 from now until the end of time, look no further than the pictures posted by liteman in the "attendence" thread on the "football - touchdown tim ratttay" forum... that should remove all doubt and put everyone on the same page.

does it really matter if no other school has their band on the 50 like tech??? really, i can't seem to figure out why people care about that... just because usc, lsu, texas, ohio, florida, etc. don't do it doesn't mean we shouldn't... give us an 80,000 seat horseshoe that sells out everytime, then maybe we can talk about moving... (wishful thinking?) even when reading all the arguments going back and forth, it still perplexes me as to why you would give a damn what others do, or why it would matter with "general admission" seats anyway... this is tech and this is one area i'm glad we don't copy the "big" schools

the "big" schools toss the band off to the side (or like lsu, in the nose bleeds-our "pep band" had better seats than they did when we played lsu back in 04) and they have absolutey NO effect... because the band doesn't matter at most univeristies... spirited or not, most universities don't look at the band at all as anything more than taking away revenue because they take up seats that can be sold... some are reconsidering that stance and more though because of the support big donor alumni have been throwing at schools lately to have the band at big away games (especially non conf game) and such (i.e. an ohio state alumni footing the entire bill to send the entire osu band to the osu v. tx game-then donating more millions to the athletic dept, and he brought some buddies with even more money) and then donating even more on top of that... bands are the biggest thing at football games besides the game themselves...

i can tell you just from the "talk" about the possibilty of the band moving, you will all but destory the atmosphere the band tries to create because the band members themselves would "revolt" and not put their 100% in it anymore... then, we really will be like every other school, especially the "big" boys. it's not because we are selfish (maybe just a little), but we refuse to be the "red headed step child" and that is exactly what will be the feeling the band would get. the band draws a LOT of it's energy from being right there, in the thick of everything. putting us off to the side would tell us we're not important or anything else, therefore we would wonder why be all cheery and all? you'll be telling us our passion and pride mean nothing and we are just another "run of the mill" spirit group... if you want to know what the band is like, look at what i posted on the "how many games did you attend?" thread about the band... this university needs that type of passion and pride, among other things, and batting down the few people or groups that are like that destroys all progress. the band was ok when i was growing up, but COMPLETELY changed when they moved to the 50 somwhere between 1997-1999. and it has been getting stronger ever since.

if anything, the band should stay on the 50, but in the section above... that's the only reasonable compromise to give both sides what they want... but keep them where they are until we have the horseshoe stadium being designed and the sellout crowds of 80,000... then we will see where we NEED them... right now, we have a great setup and it's not broken and there is nothing wrong in any other way about it - so keep it... if you want to change something, worry about the stuff that really needs to change (prez, ad, coaches, facilities, alumni, etc.)

and with all of that, i did answer your questions...
    Last edited by JuBru; 11-23-2006 at 06:20 AM.

Champ soccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nicesoccer_dawg9 is just really nice soccer_dawg9's Avatar

So basically you're telling me that if the band moves off the 50-yard line they would be mad and not support Tech athletics at the games 100%? Isn't it their job to support Tech athletics among other things? I think the band does 100 times more than the cheerleaders do at the games, but I don't think where they sit makes a difference.

Regarding to your general admission seating, I believe the students should have to pay for Tech games. They can buy a student pass at the begining of the year that gets them in every sporting event for a certain amount. Then you can sell those seats at the 50-yard line for those students and on the floor for basketball games. You're right that as long as it is general admission seating and you can sit wherever you want then this is a dead issue.

Puppy Sanbogdawg is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by soccer_dawg9 View Post
    So basically you're telling me that if the band moves off the 50-yard line they would be mad and not support Tech athletics at the games 100%? Isn't it their job to support Tech athletics among other things? I think the band does 100 times more than the cheerleaders do at the games, but I don't think where they sit makes a difference.

Regarding to your general admission seating, I believe the students should have to pay for Tech games. They can buy a student pass at the begining of the year that gets them in every sporting event for a certain amount. Then you can sell those seats at the 50-yard line for those students and on the floor for basketball games. You're right that as long as it is general admission seating and you can sit wherever you want then this is a dead issue.

do you think if the students had to pay money to go the games they would? a few maybe, but i know if i had to pay to go the games i wouldn't, i go to them now because it's free for me to get in.

And i think you miss-read his point, he's saying that our school doesn't have sell out crouds, and the reason the big schools put the band on the 20 is because they can can sell the seats right in front of the 50 for more money and because every other seat in the sadium is sold out. We can barelly fill half the the front sections on the student side. Plus the band is the largest single cheering section in the stadium why not put that right on the 50 right in the front of the action, that's where they make a diff.

Once we get 80,000 sell out crouds, and almost the entire student body at the games, then we can talk about puthing the students on the 50, because then, and only then would the students start to make a bigger diff. than the band. And once they start making a bigger diff. than i'll go personally tell Mr. Robken to move the band my self.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

the only thing the band is "required" to do at any sporting event is play teh fight song and alma mater at football games and we don't have to be at b-ball games at all since it's "volunteer" - that's our "job"... we don't have to do any of the "extra" stuff we do. would you want us to just sit there??? hell no... i don't. I wouldn't be in the band if that's all we did, regardless of the fact i'm "required" to be there bc of my major. we ALL are there doing what we do bc we LOVE TECH and want to carry on the traditions people like docmarvin, bjude, germdawg, and the many other band alumni on this board and not have started... we carry the torch. we go that extra mile becuase we can, and we just "roll like that."

yes, at first we would be pissed and not put our all... and after a game or two and several pissed off loyal TECH band members who LOVE TECH release their frustration with the band about "losing our identity", things will change... it may actually take a little while for it to get back, but it's the fact it's damaged in the first place that would scar things... but who's to say those same people won't jump on it before then and the band never really changes??? that's just as likely to happen...

ga is always going to be ga until we get that 80,000 horseshoe... students will also always get in free until that time...

i guess your just really wanting to punish the people who actually support tech right now? wait until we are actually a program worth touting again (and that's with ALL sports... it can happen), THEN bring this argument up again, maybe. Until then, this stops. You said it yourself, "IT'S A DEAD ISSUE." So really, why bring it up?

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soccer_dawg9 View Post
    I wonder which would have the highest net value at Tech right now: the money gained from selling a "student pass" or the increased value of the advertising dollars of having higher attendance because the games are free. I'd have bought a pass to go to the games and I'd have paid more to reserve a seat front row/courtside, but maybe instead they should have SGA pass a student accessed fee that would go to athletics?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    they should have SGA pass a student accessed fee that would go to athletics?
    They already have...

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Yeah, sorry, sometimes the sarcasm is lost in typing. I was trying to point out that students are contributors, not just people that show up for free.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

Sorry for bringing back dead, band threads, but if anyone is interested, the BOP will be placed on the south 20-yardline from now on. We will be directly beside the visitors section!!! how fun!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

That's weak. The second that we have the balls to do so, we should put it back like in 2005. Home team on the PROPER side and the BoP dead center.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rus-La View Post
    if i'm not mistaken, this subject has been hashed out on this board time and time again into oblivion... some say move, some say stay... but if you really want to see why the band should stay on the 50 from now until the end of time, look no further than the pictures posted by liteman in the "attendence" thread on the "football - touchdown tim ratttay" forum... that should remove all doubt and put everyone on the same page.

does it really matter if no other school has their band on the 50 like tech??? really, i can't seem to figure out why people care about that... just because usc, lsu, texas, ohio, florida, etc. don't do it doesn't mean we shouldn't... give us an 80,000 seat horseshoe that sells out everytime, then maybe we can talk about moving... (wishful thinking?) even when reading all the arguments going back and forth, it still perplexes me as to why you would give a damn what others do, or why it would matter with "general admission" seats anyway... this is tech and this is one area i'm glad we don't copy the "big" schools

the "big" schools toss the band off to the side (or like lsu, in the nose bleeds-our "pep band" had better seats than they did when we played lsu back in 04) and they have absolutey NO effect... because the band doesn't matter at most univeristies... spirited or not, most universities don't look at the band at all as anything more than taking away revenue because they take up seats that can be sold... some are reconsidering that stance and more though because of the support big donor alumni have been throwing at schools lately to have the band at big away games (especially non conf game) and such (i.e. an ohio state alumni footing the entire bill to send the entire osu band to the osu v. tx game-then donating more millions to the athletic dept, and he brought some buddies with even more money) and then donating even more on top of that... bands are the biggest thing at football games besides the game themselves...

i can tell you just from the "talk" about the possibilty of the band moving, you will all but destory the atmosphere the band tries to create because the band members themselves would "revolt" and not put their 100% in it anymore... then, we really will be like every other school, especially the "big" boys. it's not because we are selfish (maybe just a little), but we refuse to be the "red headed step child" and that is exactly what will be the feeling the band would get. the band draws a LOT of it's energy from being right there, in the thick of everything. putting us off to the side would tell us we're not important or anything else, therefore we would wonder why be all cheery and all? you'll be telling us our passion and pride mean nothing and we are just another "run of the mill" spirit group... if you want to know what the band is like, look at what i posted on the "how many games did you attend?" thread about the band... this university needs that type of passion and pride, among other things, and batting down the few people or groups that are like that destroys all progress. the band was ok when i was growing up, but COMPLETELY changed when they moved to the 50 somwhere between 1997-1999. and it has been getting stronger ever since.

if anything, the band should stay on the 50, but in the section above... that's the only reasonable compromise to give both sides what they want... but keep them where they are until we have the horseshoe stadium being designed and the sellout crowds of 80,000... then we will see where we NEED them... right now, we have a great setup and it's not broken and there is nothing wrong in any other way about it - so keep it... if you want to change something, worry about the stuff that really needs to change (prez, ad, coaches, facilities, alumni, etc.)

and with all of that, i did answer your questions...
    Thats a huge load of crap. You should try your best and do a great job regardless of where you sit. Thats like someone on the football team not giving 100% on special teams because they aren't starting on defense or they are asked to play a different position. Total BS. You should put 100% into whatever you do. If you or anyone else in the band doesn't love Louisiana Tech enough to give 100% then I would rather you not be out there anyways.

Oh and BTW I am fine with the band being on the 50 and think the BOP is fantastic.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    That's weak. The second that we have the balls to do so, we should put it back like in 2005. Home team on the PROPER side and the BoP dead center.
    Totally agree. Why should we be punished for what Fresno St. does? If they can't control thier students then fine them or move their students around. Leave Tech alone!

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Thats a huge load of crap. You should try your best and do a great job regardless of where you sit. Thats like someone on the football team not giving 100% on special teams because they aren't starting on defense or they are asked to play a different position. Total BS. You should put 100% into whatever you do. If you or anyone else in the band doesn't love Louisiana Tech enough to give 100% then I would rather you not be out there anyways.

Oh and BTW I am fine with the band being on the 50 and think the BOP is fantastic.
    Wow... Well I will say that it's easier to get fired up AND STAY FIRED UP when you have a big section of students that have UNLIMITED ENERGY.

Besides... The BoP IS TECH's Spirit section.

What are the Cheerleader's at TECH during football games??

Wow... Well I will say that it's easier to get fired up AND STAY FIRED UP when you have a big section of students that have UNLIMITED ENERGY.

Besides... The BoP IS TECH's Spirit section.

Agreed, but I am not arguing that the band should be moved. I am fine with where they are and I think they do a great job. I'm just saying do your best wherever you are. Bloom where you are planted. In life you can't just pack it in and not try or pick up your toys and go home whenever things don't go 100% your way. Rus-La is probably just fired up about it and I am sure he will do a great job wherever he sits.

Since you missed this part.....

A: IN THE WAY.

+ Reply to Thread