+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LA Tech & Sunbelt

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

LA Tech & Sunbelt

There is much speculation on the Sunbelt board about Tech might be heading to the Sunbelt. Many of the schools are against Tech but I for one would like to see UL and Tech in the same conference if it is the Belt or CUSA. CUSA isn't what it use to be and the Belt has improved in football. I would like to see Tech, Tulane, UCF, UL and USM in the same conference. What do you guys think about your future conference?

Puppy kingjudd is an unknown

Re: LA Tech & Sunbelt

La. Tech should not drop down to the sunbelt. They should either try Mountain West, SEC or the Big 12. You should always move up, never down, otherwise stay in the WAC maybe Independent again and schedule nothing but big-time programs all year long.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

What do I think of our future conference! CUSA will be fine by me!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

rcajun,

I for one would like to see the Cajuns and Tech in the same conference. I would prefer it to be CUSA or some other regional to-be-determined conference that included Rice, SMU, Tulsa, UAB, and Tulane. Memphis and Southern Miss? -- I wouldn't care if they dropped off the face of the earth...

Actually, if you removed ULM, the Belt wouldn't look so bad to me. The Florida teams don't do anything for me... but, they'll probably be going to bigger pastures in a few years anyway. But, the long term health of Tech and ULL are tied together -- we should be on the same page and create leverage within a conference. I miss having a TRUE rivalry. It's sad when our Rivalry Week game attracts 5k fans.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

For the 3 billionth time Louisiana Tech is not interested in the Sun Belch conference. That is why we left that POS several years ago. We would rather shut the program down and drag parts of our anatomy across 3 miles of broken glass than to be part of the Belch again.

Period... end of story... again for those not paying attention.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

With Nevada and San Jose State with Idaho sinking a lot of money into their programs besides the main forces that have existed in Hawaii, Fresno State, and Boise State, Tech has a lot of work to catch up with these. I am not so sure CUSA is a better conference. People just recognize the names of some of the schools more if they have been limited to living in Louisiana or nearby.

The money payouts and visability with the WAC have been significant for Tech that they otherwise would not have if they were in SunBelt. How well we compete in WAC or CUSA for those that still may be interested in that league is up to both Alumni and Administration stepping up like those other schools in WAC.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I don't think CUSA is a better football conference than the WAC. I'd say it's a better baseball conference and at least even, if not better, basketball conference. These are the money sports. They have 5 bowl tie-ins as opposed to the WAC's 3. And, they're regional, but not the sunbelt.
    Last edited by johnnylightnin; 11-26-2006 at 08:37 AM.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

CUSA's bowl tie-ins are contracts that have lingered from the OLD CUSA, one that had Louisville and Cincy. It'll be interesting to see how those 5 slots change over the next few years. Doubtlessly, from default, CUSA will retain at least three of the slots.

As for MBB, CUSA used to be a real power. Now they are merely run-of-the-mill.

Varsity Bulldog rcajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timercajun90 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    CUSA's bowl tie-ins are contracts that have lingered from the OLD CUSA, one that had Louisville and Cincy. It'll be interesting to see how those 5 slots change over the next few years. Doubtlessly, from default, CUSA will retain at least three of the slots.

As for MBB, CUSA used to be a real power. Now they are merely run-of-the-mill.
    We beat Houston which I believe is the CUSA champs and we will finish no better than 3rd in the Belt. ASU beat Memphis but I don't know their record in CUSA. It just seems to me that CUSA isn't what it use to be and the Belt is getting stronger. I would like to see some sort of Belt and CUSA merger. I want us to be in a conference with Tech, Tulane, and USM.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rcajun90 View Post
    We beat Houston which I believe is the CUSA champs and we will finish no better than 3rd in the Belt. ASU beat Memphis but I don't know their record in CUSA. It just seems to me that CUSA isn't what it use to be and the Belt is getting stronger. I would like to see some sort of Belt and CUSA merger. I want us to be in a conference with Tech, Tulane, and USM.
    The problem with the belt is perception. Perhaps the Belt is getting stronger. Surely CUSA isn't what it used be since it lost Louisville. But, CUSA does have more bowl ties and it's more nationally respected.

Bulldog Jack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeJack Mayhoffer Ultimate jerk and not worth your time Jack Mayhoffer's Avatar

We're concerned about the Sun Belt's perception?!?!?!? Did you see that dismal televised presentation of our university Friday night.

Boy, are we out of touch with reality!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mayhoffer View Post
    We're concerned about the Sun Belt's perception?!?!?!? Did you see that dismal televised presentation of our university Friday night.

You want reality? Compare our conference distribution this year to any belt school of your choice. You people who think the sunbelt is the answer need to apply for jobs with the administration. That small-time thinking is why we are where we are. If you're all about the sunbelt, you need to start a campaign to keep Oakes because if he stays around that's exactly where we'll be. Then I'm sure you'll love the fact that you're in a regional conference where we'll be an also-ran there as well.

How many times do I have to say this?

THE WAC IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!!!

The problem is the political appointee with the apparent lifetime appointment.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    You want reality? Compare our conference distribution this year to any belt school of your choice. You people who think the sunbelt is the answer need to apply for jobs with the administration. That small-time thinking is why we are where we are. If you're all about the sunbelt, you need to start a campaign to keep Oakes because if he stays around that's exactly where we'll be. Then I'm sure you'll love the fact that you're in a regional conference where we'll be an also-ran there as well.

How many times do I have to say this?

THE WAC IS NOT THE PROBLEM!!!!!

The problem is the political appointee with the apparent lifetime appointment.
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mayhoffer View Post

I see the WAC as a conference of haves and have nots. Boise, Fresno and Hawaii will bolt the first chance they get. Then what will the WAC look like? CUSA is more stable but not what it use to be. The Belt is getting stronger but many teams in it would bolt for CUSA if given the chance. Perhaps a CUSA with Tech and UL are the future conference of our two schools.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The WAC is the best non-BCS conference right now. Yeah, it's probably the "flavor of the month" and next year the MAC may return to football greatness, er, goodness. But, clearly with TWO teams ranked in the Top 25, and with Nevada hovering nearby, the WAC is the best.

Nevada is also ranked in MBB.

When Tech was first selected to join the WAC, back in 2000, I guess the announcement was made, the naysayers, the Belchers and worse, the old southland gang, were posting how stupid it was, blah, blah, blah....I said then as I say now, there is nothing wrong with the WAC, the question has been, and remains, is Tech worthy enough to be in it?

I suppose the best option for Tech, and for ULL, would be to get into a regional conference that would include Tulane, USM, Houston, Rice, SMU, etc....I don't think anyone can argue against that being best. Until that happens, Tech is best off remaining in the WAC...and finding a new AD that will get our house in order.

+ Reply to Thread