+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: can you say overrated?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: can you say overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    Why change that?
    So you know, without a doubt, who is number 1. While NCAA may have the most exciting regular season, it has one of the most disappointing and frustrating post-seasons. In an 8 or 16 team play-off, the season matters. Just take this year for example...there is MUCH debate about who's number two. In a play-off, we'd have more than speculation. If USC deserves it, they can prove it against the best in the country...same for LSU and Boise.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dogeatdogworld View Post
    Why should anyone give a damn about sportswriters opinions? A lot of them couldn't run 5 yards but they can tell us who's the best team?? I never pay attention to them. The coaches have a better grip as to who's the better teams. I don't really care about that poll either though. All that matters now is the BCS championship game. It determines who the champion is and nothing else............period. I have no problem however with a few people who just want to believe that USC won the national title in 2003. At least the Ap poll gave you something to cling to.
    the ap has the longest-running national championship in the country. while some have come and gone, the sportswriters have consistently given out their trophy every year. a lot of the fans trash the poll. a lot of coaches publicly lobby and disagree. but i have yet to see anyone turn down an ap national championship trophy. it has a storied history. whether you and your lsu fans want to acknowledge it, the ap national championship means something. it always has.

and why do you think the coaches know better? there are 117 or so division 1-a teams in the country. at the most, when looking at film to prepare for opponents and actually watching games on tv, a coach will see maybe 1/4 of those teams play each year. how are they any more qualified to choose a national champion? aren't they too busy preparing their teams to worry about voting? don't many coaches actually delegate the chore of voting to an assistant or sports information director?

no, i'd rather put stock in a group of individuals (media) whose job is to watch football and make (mostly) objective observations than a group whose job is to win football games and has publicly admitted in the past that their own conference biases play into their rankings. if anything, the coaches have more of a vested interest in the polls and therefore are less qualified to vote objectively.

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    Wanted to quote this because I agree with AG here. The only change I could make is have the plus-one, mini-playoff system of 1 playing 4 and 2 playing 3.
    i'm not a favor of the antiquated bowl system, the current bcs system or a plus-1 system. instead, i favor a 16-team playoff. like the basketball postseason tournament (the greatest postseason, not just because i say so, but because of all the interest drawn through bracketology and tv ratings), i believe every conference should be represented. there are 11 1-a conferences, and the 11 champions should earn automatic berths into the playoffs. then a selection committee (just like in basketball) should choose the final five at-large teams and seed them using a variety of different criteria (such as the bcs rankings, strength of schedule, etc.).

with 16 teams, you have 15 games. choose the top 15 bowl sites to be the home of the 15 games. the teams should be placed in the bowl sites similarly to how they are in basketball. the higher-seeded teams get the breaks and get better spots. i don't want to hear the argument about the longer season, because it's actually one less round than they do in 1-aa, d2 and d3. and you don't have to get rid of the lesser bowls. you can still have conference tie-ins and bowl games that can be played during the week, spread out over two or three weeks. the playoff games will be played on saturdays.

there are many ways to tweak this system, and i'm sure i could write thousands and thousands of words about my opinion. but that's my belief in a nutshell.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Varsity Bulldog dogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    the ap has the longest-running national championship in the country. while some have come and gone, the sportswriters have consistently given out their trophy every year. a lot of the fans trash the poll. a lot of coaches publicly lobby and disagree. but i have yet to see anyone turn down an ap national championship trophy. it has a storied history. whether you and your lsu fans want to acknowledge it, the ap national championship means something. it always has.

and why do you think the coaches know better? there are 117 or so division 1-a teams in the country. at the most, when looking at film to prepare for opponents and actually watching games on tv, a coach will see maybe 1/4 of those teams play each year. how are they any more qualified to choose a national champion? aren't they too busy preparing their teams to worry about voting? don't many coaches actually delegate the chore of voting to an assistant or sports information director?

no, i'd rather put stock in a group of individuals (media) whose job is to watch football and make (mostly) objective observations than a group whose job is to win football games and has publicly admitted in the past that their own conference biases play into their rankings. if anything, the coaches have more of a vested interest in the polls and therefore are less qualified to vote objectively.

i'm not a favor of the antiquated bowl system, the current bcs system or a plus-1 system. instead, i favor a 16-team playoff. like the basketball postseason tournament (the greatest postseason, not just because i say so, but because of all the interest drawn through bracketology and tv ratings), i believe every conference should be represented. there are 11 1-a conferences, and the 11 champions should earn automatic berths into the playoffs. then a selection committee (just like in basketball) should choose the final five at-large teams and seed them using a variety of different criteria (such as the bcs rankings, strength of schedule, etc.).

with 16 teams, you have 15 games. choose the top 15 bowl sites to be the home of the 15 games. the teams should be placed in the bowl sites similarly to how they are in basketball. the higher-seeded teams get the breaks and get better spots. i don't want to hear the argument about the longer season, because it's actually one less round than they do in 1-aa, d2 and d3. and you don't have to get rid of the lesser bowls. you can still have conference tie-ins and bowl games that can be played during the week, spread out over two or three weeks. the playoff games will be played on saturdays.

there are many ways to tweak this system, and i'm sure i could write thousands and thousands of words about my opinion. but that's my belief in a nutshell.

The Ap poll USED to mean something in deciding the national championship. Now, its the BCS championship game. Man let it go.......LSU won the championship that year. I know it pains you to say it. I know that bashing LSU is the only sense of enjoyment you can get since Tech seems to never give us anything to root for in the post season but geez you guys are really really stretching it. You also have to remember that this AP poll that you believe in so just recently had Notre Dame in the top 5. If they were so good, they would have seen that Boise could have played Notre Dame's schedule and ended up with the exact same record. If the AP poll is so accurate Notre Dame would have been barely cracking the top 10. That poll is way more biased than the coaches' poll. I see that your handle is professor, and you very much seem to be like one of those professors that like to hear themselves talk. So much so til it really doesnt matter what comes out...........heck sometimes THEY dont even know what comes out. That is you to a T.

However, I do agree with you on your playoff idea. That Would be a great idea and if there is ever a playoff I'm sure that's how it would breakdown in order to preserve the bowl system.

+ Reply to Thread