+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recruiting question

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Re: Recruiting question

I guess "here we go again!!". As far as Kim goes, all she wanted was the same "level playing field" that other coaches get. A 5 year contract is generally the industry standard so why did Tech offer her a 4 year one w/an OPTION for 1 more?? U're correct that she didn't need security because she already had almost 20 years in the system. She wanted respect. Sure, she'd probably have little to gain & MUCH to lose as she'd always hear that "she inherited Barmore's program" so certainly Baylor gave her the chance to establish her own identity & legacy ( but only AFTER Tech blew it - IMHO ). She's emotional?? Hell, yes BUT I'd kill to see some emotion on our sidelines this season!!!!!!!!! I do agree w/Brian that there's more to the story than we'll ever know & certainly at least 2 sides to this one.
    Typically there's the small town "politics" of Ruston & Tech. I played football under Coach Lambright & Larry Bechtal & saw firsthand how much influence the local alumni have. If ya'll R old enough to remember, Coach Beck got run off in his FIRST year ( & w/one game remaining ) because he "wasn't producing the desired results". BS!!!! He didn't play the little games ( like pacifying the big $$ alumni like Davidson, Russell, et al ). He told them that this was HIS program & they were to keep their ideas to themselves!! Saw how long he stayed after that, huh??!! Can't blame that one on DR - that was F. Jay!!!
    Concerning the local ( LA ) players mentioned, notice the era they played in. I stated in an earlier thread that in the late 70's to early 80's that Tech was one of the few options high school girls had to continue to play WBB at the next level where there was any support/interest so OF COURSE they came here. Then Tennessee, UConn, etc, caught on. Cheryl was the lone exception & that's only because of her father's legacy @ Tech. Don't get me wrong - all these ladies would excel wherever they played but, at the time, Tech was THE place to play.
    Lastly, I'll give Coach Long more time to produce results but I'm not buying into this "rebuilding" crap I keep hearing on here! He's got 4 seniors on the roster ( three w/3 letters ) plus the #1 & #3 rated JC transfer forwards ( Nixon & Sneed, respectively ) so I don't believe that he has neither any talent to work with nor players unfamiliar w/his system. Granted, I didn't expect to compete w/the Lady Vols nor LSU this season but losing to ULM?????? BTW - if ya'll wonder why I make reference to Tennessee so often, it's not just because of their excellence. My wife is from Knoxville & it's getting rough around the house with all these a** whippings they keep giving us!!!!
    Yes, I'm scheduled to be in New Orleans on the 30th ( I work for Shell ) so I'll be at that slaughter, er, I mean "game" so I DO still support the team. I'm sure that Champion will come back w/something about my "negative attitude & outlook" but maybe if our current roster would take a good look at the name "Lady Techsters" on the front of their jerseys then gaze skyward at the banners hanging from the TAC, perhaps carrying on the tradition of winning & representing Tech w/class might wake some of them out of their funk!
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-11-2006 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Add Info

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post
    I guess "here we go again!!". As far as Kim goes, all she wanted was the same "level playing field" that other coaches get. A 5 year contract is generally the industry standard so why did Tech offer her a 4 year one w/an OPTION for 1 more?? U're correct that she didn't need security because she already had almost 20 years in the system. She wanted respect. Sure, she'd probably have little to gain & MUCH to lose as she'd always hear that "she inherited Barmore's program" so certainly Baylor gave her the chance to establish her own identity & legacy ( but only AFTER Tech blew it - IMHO ). She's emotional?? Hell, yes BUT I'd kill to see some emotion on our sidelines this season!!!!!!!!! I do agree w/Brian that there's more to the story than we'll ever know & certainly at least 2 sides to this one.
    Typically there's the small town "politics" of Ruston & Tech. I played football under Coach Lambright & Larry Bechtal & saw firsthand how much influence the local alumni have. If ya'll R old enough to remember, Coach Beck got run off in his FIRST year ( & w/one game remaining ) because he "wasn't producing the desired results". BS!!!! He didn't play the little games ( like pacifying the big $$ alumni like Davidson, Russell, et al ). He told them that this was HIS program & they were to keep their ideas to themselves!! Saw how long he stayed after that, huh??!! Can't blame that one on DR - that was F. Jay!!!
    Concerning the local ( LA ) players mentioned, notice the era they played in. I stated in an earlier thread that in the late 70's to early 80's that Tech was one of the few options high school girls had to continue to play WBB at the next level where there was any support/interest so OF COURSE they came here. Then Tennessee, UConn, etc, caught on. Cheryl was the lone exception & that's only because of her father's legacy @ Tech. Don't get me wrong - all these ladies would excel wherever they played but, at the time, Tech was THE place to play.
    Lastly, I'll give Coach Long more time to produce results but I'm not buying into this "rebuilding" crap I keep hearing on here! He's got 4 seniors on the roster ( three w/3 letters ) plus the #1 & #3 rated JC transfer forwards ( Nixon & Sneed, respectively ) so I don't believe that he has neither any talent to work with nor players unfamiliar w/his system. Granted, I didn't expect to compete w/the Lady Vols nor LSU this season but losing to ULM?????? BTW - if ya'll wonder why I make reference to Tennessee so often, it's not just because of their excellence. My wife is from Knoxville & it's getting rough around the house with all these a** whippings they keep giving us!!!!
    Yes, I'm scheduled to be in New Orleans on the 30th ( I work for Shell ) so I'll be at that slaughter, er, I mean "game" so I DO still support the team. I'm sure that Champion will come back w/something about my "negative attitude & outlook" but maybe if our current roster would take a good look at the name "Lady Techsters" on the front of their jerseys then gaze skyward at the banners hanging from the TAC, perhaps carrying on the tradition of winning & representing Tech w/class might wake some of them out of their funk!
    I agree with most everything you stated, except for the comment about Coach Beck. Everything else is pretty close to the truth, even though some of the Kim deal was her own thing, not Tech's. That does not absolve Tech of how it handled the situation.

As for the emotion, you are right. We NEED that badly right now.

Champ LouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant futureLouisianaSelect has a brilliant future

Quote Originally Posted by svb002 View Post
    Personally, I think Mulkey couldn't handle the pressure of succeeding Coach Barmore and didn't want her career to loom in his shadow, so she left. Sad, she couldn't hang in there when Tech needed her.

I think the hiring of Budke has potentially ruined this program. I've never been a big fan of recruiting jucos - you only get them for 2 years and they are usually from far off. What do Mulkey, Pam Kelly, Angela Turner, and Cheryl Ford have in common? THEY ARE HOME-GROWN PRODUCTS. Turner and Ford played at small schools. It irritates me so much to think that Tech no longer recruits from its own back yard and is letting LSU win the Louisiana recruiting battle. Players that Tech may have looked at in the past are heading to Northwestern and ULM, for instance. So many great players from Louisiana slip through our fingers. I have nothing against recruiting from Arkansas, Mississippi, and Texas, since Tech has had some fantastic players from these states. But don't forget about the LOUISIANA in Louisiana Tech.

The AD needs to go. He's killing the tradition. All our sports stink - the only one I have ever had spirit for was basketball, first and foremost the Lady Techsters. Look at the past poll on latechsports.com - which of the three events were most people excited about - Tech vs. Tennessee. More than football. More than men's basketball vs. Texas Tech and Bobby Knight.

The only two schools to play in every women's NCAA tournament are Tech and Tennessee. I'm afraid that list is about to shrink.

I went to Lady Techster's basketball camp every year I could (but one because I went to the worst Texas All Stars Basketball Camp since my coach wanted me to). Every single girl there dreamed of playing at Louisiana Tech, for Leon Barmore and for the tradition. You have no idea how honored I have been to shake his hand and have him instruct you.

It would have been nice to had the chance to find out

Champ Mean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really niceMean Gene is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I agree with most everything you stated, except for the comment about Coach Beck. Everything else is pretty close to the truth, even though some of the Kim deal was her own thing, not Tech's. That does not absolve Tech of how it handled the situation.

As for the emotion, you are right. We NEED that badly right now.
    Champion - Absolutely Kim bears some of the blame & I DO agree that Randy probably did help sway her to go for the extra $$ Baylor offered.
    As far as Coach Beck goes, I was one of the many players who marched into Wyly Tower demanding to meet w/President Taylor over his premature ( in our opinions ) so w/o straying too far from the Techster problems, what exactly don't U agree with?? Don't get me wrong - I didn't care too much for Bechtel (sp) personally but I didn't think that 9 games was a fair assessment of his coaching ability. He was trying to make us run a Veer offense w/players who were previously recruited for a passing offense. Had he been given enough time perhaps he could have recruited players better suited for his offense. Still, the administration should never hired a "running" coach to take over a traditionally high powered "passing" school. Geez - the administration screwed up even WAY back then? What a shock!!!!

Gene

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Champion - Absolutely Kim bears some of the blame & I DO agree that Randy probably did help sway her to go for the extra $$ Baylor offered.
    As far as Coach Beck goes, I was one of the many players who marched into Wyly Tower demanding to meet w/President Taylor over his premature ( in our opinions ) so w/o straying too far from the Techster problems, what exactly don't U agree with?? Don't get me wrong - I didn't care too much for Bechtel (sp) personally but I didn't think that 9 games was a fair assessment of his coaching ability. He was trying to make us run a Veer offense w/players who were previously recruited for a passing offense. Had he been given enough time perhaps he could have recruited players better suited for his offense. Still, the administration should never hired a "running" coach to take over a traditionally high powered "passing" school. Geez - the administration screwed up even WAY back then? What a shock!!!!

Gene
    Oh come on.......... You got agreement out of me with all but one thing and it was a long time ago and not about the Techsters. I would take that and run with it.

Big Grin Re: Recruiting question

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Oh come on.......... You got agreement out of me with all but one thing and it was a long time ago and not about the Techsters. I would take that and run with it.
    U got it!! Merry Christmas to all!!!

Gene

U got it!! Merry Christmas to all!!!

Gene

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

MEAN GENE-Beightol's firing had NOTHING to do with his coaching prowess. NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    MEAN GENE-Beightol's firing had NOTHING to do with his coaching prowess. NOTHING!
    Coach Slaughter - That's exactly what I said!!

If ya'll R old enough to remember, Coach Beck got run off in his FIRST year ( & w/one game remaining ) because he "wasn't producing the desired results". BS!!!! He didn't play the little games ( like pacifying the big $$ alumni like Davidson, Russell, et al ). He told them that this was HIS program & they were to keep their ideas to themselves!! Saw how long he stayed after that, huh??!! Can't blame that one on DR - that was F. Jay!!!
    Last edited by Mean Gene; 12-13-2006 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Make correction

+ Reply to Thread