+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rattay Finally gets some snaps

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Rattay Finally gets some snaps

Yesterday Gruden pulled Gradkowski after his 3rd Q fumble turned the game around and swung momentum to Atlanta. Here's some ink on it from the Buc's website..........

Rarely will one witness a better example of a sudden momentum change than the one that defined the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ 17-6 loss to the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday.

The moment is simple to pinpoint: Five minutes into the third quarter, Bucs leading 6-0, Gradkowski dropping back to pass on third-and-four. The rookie passer may have held the ball a bit longer than was wise and the end result was a sack from behind by DE John Abraham, a fumble and seven points for the Falcons. Cue the shift of momentum and a second-half Falcon runaway.

Before it was over, the Falcons had scored 17 unanswered points and rushed for 139 yards despite injuries to both tailbacks, Bruce Gradkowski had taken a seat on the bench and Atlanta CB DeAngelo Hall had entertained himself with a series of celebratory backflips in the Bucs’ backfield. Worse yet, the 3-10 Bucs had finished up their first winless run through the NFC South, going 0-6 against Atlanta, Carolina and New Orleans.

"It’s hard to swallow that one," said Gruden of the loss. "Defensively, I thought we did a very good job for the most part. Offensively we started good. The turnover to start the second half and a couple missed opportunities in the passing game hurt us. We’re just not playing very good offensive football right now, running the ball, pass-protecting and throwing."

Before Abraham’s sack, the Bucs had the game’s only two scores, were leading in total yardage, 163 to 149, had the game’s only takeaway, had held Atlanta’s potent rushing attack to 60 yards and were just on the fringes of scoring territory again.

Post-fumble, the Bucs struggled mightily to move the ball, gaining just one more first down on the next three drives before Gradkowski (13 of 24 for 121 yards) was pulled for veteran reserve Tim Rattay. After the game, Gruden declined to indicate whether the switch to Rattay would extend into next Sunday’s game at Chicago.

"We will address that in the next couple days," said Gruden, who did rule out the possibility of going with the team’s other reserve, Luke McCown
    . "I just think there were a couple situations where [Gradkowski] looked tentative, a little bit unsure, out of rhythm. There were a couple of plays there he’s good enough to make and he’s got to make to beat the Atlanta Falcons. I thought a change in quarterbacks could possibly give us a spark."

Seeing his first regular-season playing time as a Buccaneer, Rattay completed nine of 13 passes for 83 yards and led a last-minute drive that reached Atlanta’s two-yard line before time expired. Unfortunately, Rattay’s first drive at the helm ended in a Cadillac Williams fumble that led to Morten Andersen’s game-clinching 23-yard field goal. The Falcons had built a 14-6 lead in the third quarter with their only extended scoring drive of the game, a 71-yard march that ended in Justin Griffith’s 21-yard touchdown run.

Jon Gruden called it "The Great Debate," and he arrived at his press conference Monday morning ready to weigh in on it.

Would playing Tim Rattay at quarterback next Sunday give the Tampa Bay Buccaneers a better chance of beating the Chicago Bears? Or would sticking with rookie Bruce Gradkowski under center make more sense for the team now and in the long haul?

In short, would the Bucs be making their first non-injury related quarterback switch since 2004?

Gruden and his staff spent Sunday evening mulling over the various elements that factored into that decision and, as he revealed on Monday, chose to stay the course with Gradkowski. The Bucs will, however, increase Rattay’s practice-field workload this week in order to keep the veteran option open for Sunday’s game as well.

"We’re going to get both guys ready to play," said Gruden. "We expect Bruce to start the game and we’ll get Tim Rattay some more work this week and get both guys prepared to play. We’ve just got to perform better, there’s no question about it."

Rattay replaced Gradkowski for the Bucs’ final two drives against Atlanta on Sunday after the Falcons had taken a 17-6 lead. Cadillac Williams’ fumble killed the first of those two drives on just the second play, but the second one traveled most of the length of the field. Rattay’s hurried fourth-down keeper from the two-yard line didn’t crack the end zone, but he finished with nine completions in 13 attempts for 83 yards.

"We’ve had a good look at Tim throughout training camp and in the preseason," said Gruden of the former San Francisco starter who was acquired via trade in October of 2005. "I thought he moved our team down the field and put us in a position to score. He made some good throws, threw the ball with some anticipation. I think he’s a good football player. We’re going to get him ready to perform, if needed, this Sunday in Chicago."

After the game, Gruden declined to immediately name his starter for the following weekend. He made his decision later, however, and was swayed by the potential he still sees in the admittedly struggling rookie passer.

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Re: Rattay Finally gets some snaps

If my Bears have anything to do with it, Rattay will get some playing time.

(Well, they're really not my Bears, I don't own them, I just grew up in the area and have rooted for them all my life, you get the idea.)

Mr. Gradowski, meet Mr. Urlacher.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

I watched the game on Sunday -- Tim looked pretty damn good. Of his incompletions, at least 2 were drops. A couple of his throws were a little high, but were caught. He was very poised and in control -- didn't look like a guy whose been sitting on the bench for more than a year. As a lot of fans on the Bucs board have been pointing out, Gradkowski has not led them to a TD in over 10 quarters. And all year long, you could probably count Grad's TDs on one hand. I can't believe Gruden is going to start Gradkowski again. I can understand wanting to get him some more experience for NEXT year, but unless Gruden finishes strong, there probably won't be a next year for him. He needs to win NOW, and that might not even save his job. From all indications on Sunday, Tim gives the Bucs the best chance to win. I hope he gets to play some significant minutes on Sunday when the game is still in doubt. By the time Gruden finally made the switch against Atlanta, it would have taken a miracle for Tim to rally them. Since Moats isn't even dressing out for Philly, Tim's the only shot I've got at watching a Tech guy this season. Hope he gets to make a few more throws on Sunday.

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post
    If my Bears have anything to do with it, Rattay will get some playing time.

(Well, they're really not my Bears, I don't own them, I just grew up in the area and have rooted for them all my life, you get the idea.)

Mr. Gradowski, meet Mr. Urlacher.
    Yankee.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbitten View Post
    Yankee.
    Damn yankee!
    Go Tech!

Big Dog Rickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really niceRickeydad is just really nice

Damn Yankee.

Came down here and stayed.

But my parents are originally from down here. You could say that they are reverse carpet baggers. They went up there, made their money and brought it back when they retired in Texas.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I guess I need to find the thread from Sunday where I posted the stuff from the buc board and see whether anyone else had any comments. Wish we could get a buc game in NW arkansas now and then!

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aubunique View Post
    I guess I need to find the thread from Sunday where I posted the stuff from the buc board and see whether anyone else had any comments. Wish we could get a buc game in NW arkansas now and then!
    Satellites pass over Arkansas, don't they?

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Cox in Fayetteville offers something the satellites don't offer, local public-access stations. I can't attend city council, planning, school board, etc., meetings because I work in the evening, so these stations keep me up-to-date on what our reporters don't tell us.

And when I choose to, I can contribute to the local programming.

Champ killerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nicekillerdawg is just really nice killerdawg's Avatar

I have Cox year round but subscribe to DirecTV during the NFL regular season only. I pay $50 per month (Sept thru Dec) for the basic package and about $250 for the Sunday Ticket.

A litle expensive, but I get to see Scobee, Stover, the Saints, the Colts, the Eagles, the Chiefs, - and now Tim - EVERY weekend.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mildawg View Post
    I watched the game on Sunday -- Tim looked pretty damn good. Of his incompletions, at least 2 were drops. A couple of his throws were a little high, but were caught. He was very poised and in control -- didn't look like a guy whose been sitting on the bench for more than a year. As a lot of fans on the Bucs board have been pointing out, Gradkowski has not led them to a TD in over 10 quarters. And all year long, you could probably count Grad's TDs on one hand. I can't believe Gruden is going to start Gradkowski again. I can understand wanting to get him some more experience for NEXT year, but unless Gruden finishes strong, there probably won't be a next year for him. He needs to win NOW, and that might not even save his job. From all indications on Sunday, Tim gives the Bucs the best chance to win. I hope he gets to play some significant minutes on Sunday when the game is still in doubt. By the time Gruden finally made the switch against Atlanta, it would have taken a miracle for Tim to rally them. Since Moats isn't even dressing out for Philly, Tim's the only shot I've got at watching a Tech guy this season. Hope he gets to make a few more throws on Sunday.
    You can always watch Stover and Scobee.

I've seen some less than stellar quotes about Rattay on ESPN and the like. Are we all just drinking the KoolAde or is he really not that good?

I don't know how you say 9 for 13 with two dropped balls is not good. Give the guy a chance.
    Last edited by Rickeydad; 12-13-2006 at 10:16 PM.

Champ T_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond reputeT_Won has a reputation beyond repute

I know 2 things about Rattay: He's smart as hell and he's the most accurate passer I've ever seen. You would think there would be a place in the NFL for someone like that. He never had a chance in San Francisco because their line was so bad.

Champ Bill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the roughBill Pup60 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Rickeydad View Post
    I've seen some less than stellar quotes about Rattay on ESPN and the like. Are we all just drinking the KoolAde or is he really not that good?

I don't know how you say 9 for 13 with two dropped balls is not good. Give the guy a chance.
    Tim is a media casualty.

He didn't have much (any????) media support from his University as he entered the NFL.
    He strikes me a very polite and articulate person who frankly doesn't toot his own horn enough!!! All of this ( and the ignorance of the talking heads) caused him to be drafted far lower than his skill and records warranted. So he started out far behind where he should have been.

But he did move up the ladder in SF, even though they had a Pro Bowl QB. Tim eventually replaced him, but by that itme the SF offfense ( and particularly the o line) had reached the point of a high school line, providing no chance of a running game and no protection. In spite of this Tim put up some pretty good numbers for a number of games. IMHO SF screwed up royally when they opted to go with Alex Smith (for $50 mill)-- who's done virtually nothing in 2 years in spite of big improvement in the running agame and O line.

Seems to be the same story in Tampa. Tim gets in and does a good job after the "kid" can't cut it and still the coaching staff wants to stick with the kid.

Tim is probably one of the most intelligent QB's in the league. He is cool under fire, has a strong arm, very accurate, reads defenses well, and truly knows what he is doing. He reminds me a lot of Tom Brady. For some reason, the chips just haven't fallen his way.
    I truly believe if he were given the reins and truly got the job, in a couple of years he would be every bit as good as Brady or Peyton Manning!!!!

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Give Tim a couple of good games and the media will be talking as though they knew how good he was all along.

+ Reply to Thread