+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tommy Spangler is new DC

Champ 1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light1L_dawg is a glorious beacon of light

Re: Tommy Spangler is new DC

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    he is the defensive equivelent of chris hatcher, the same hatcher that we almost hired as head coach. wouldnt you love to have hatcher as OC?

this guy was a defensive coordnator for 5 years at georgia southern. he has head coaching experience and has a very good record.

Im more than excited!
    Maybe I just haven't read a full bio of this guy yet, but where are you getting that he is "the defensive equivalent of chris hatcher?" I am not trying to be argumentative but i was expecting a position coach from a d1a school or a coordinator/hc from a successful d1aa program. i am reserving judgment on this hire until a later date. i trust that dooley knows what he is doing.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Not sure I would say he is the defensive equivalent of chris hatcher...but his bio states,
    "If one phrase describes Spangler’s approach to football it is “defensive intensity.” His defenses has been ranked in the top half of the South Atlantic Conference in all defensive categories each of the last seven seasons. In 1998, the Spangler-led Blue Hose defense led all of NCAA Division II in turnover margin (+2.27) with an amazing 48 takeaways. In addition, his defense also led the SAC in pass defense (145.6 yds/gm) and pass efficiency defense (86.5) that season. "

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

i meant he has coached at higher levels (5 years as DC at a 1-AA school compared to Hatcher being a QB coach for 2 years in 1-A), and he has been a successful coach at division 2. he puts up pretty gaudy stats on defense just like hatcher does on offense.

hatcher won a national title, but both have very good winning records.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Not sure I would say he is the defensive equivalent of chris hatcher...but his bio states,
    "If one phrase describes Spangler’s approach to football it is “defensive intensity.” His defenses has been ranked in the top half of the South Atlantic Conference in all defensive categories each of the last seven seasons. In 1998, the Spangler-led Blue Hose defense led all of NCAA Division II in turnover margin (+2.27) with an amazing 48 takeaways. In addition, his defense also led the SAC in pass defense (145.6 yds/gm) and pass efficiency defense (86.5) that season. "

Wow! We might have a pass defense next year???

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    Has somebody answered the question: What is a blue hose?

In the Army, when you've been shafted, they call it the "green weenie." I doubt with this being a Presbyterian college that that would be the meaning.

From the PC web site:

..."probably the true story lies in a letter dated June 15, 1935, written by then athletic director Walter Johnson to an inquiring English professor in Virginia...[quoting from Walter Johnson’s letter] ‘It was about the second or third year, 1915, if I remember right, Stockings. I think it happened this way: I changed uniform colors to blue, wearing blue stockings and jerseys, and some sports writer started calling in his articles the Presbyterian College teams the Blue Stockings.’ ...In later years “Stocking” became abbreviated to “the Hose,” particularly in newspaper headlines, and was more or less officially adopted by the student body in the late 50’s. "

Puppy BOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her gameBOPdawg is on top of his/her game

wait wait....DEFENSE!?? ....Is that legal?

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    That's great news! BTW, Spangler would appear to be a good successor when Dooley decides to leave for greener pastures.

you are right. if dooley gets us to the next level and leaves for a sec/acc job, spangler could keep us going.

kind of like peterson has done with boise in just one year since hawkins left for colorado, except peterson has taken them even higher.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    you are right. if dooley gets us to the next level and leaves for a sec/acc job, spangler could keep us going.

kind of like peterson has done with boise in just one year since hawkins left for colorado, except peterson has taken them even higher.
    Agreed - it's never too early to be thinking about a successor.
    Go Tech!

Champ dchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to alldchi72 is a name known to all dchi72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Wow! We might have a pass defense next year???

Don't get too excited just yet. Can this tissue paper defense be fixed in one year?

Give me two years just to be safe.

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by dchi72 View Post
    Don't get too excited just yet. Can this tissue paper defense be fixed in one year?

Give me two years just to be safe.

Look at what Tim Rose did in just one year. It can be done; with smart coaching and building the scheme around what the players CAN do, not around what the coach WANTS them to do

Champ DallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond reputeDallasDog has a reputation beyond repute DallasDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cowpoke1977 View Post
    Looks like we got ourselves another good hire! Just remember this man in your prayers at night, he's got lots of holes to fill in the sifter, I mean, defense.

I respect our guys for what they have been through with all the DC's, but a sifter would imply that they stopped something from going through at some point.

It is getting better guys, just hold your heads up and wait till spring starts.

Champ 96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough96bulldog is a jewel in the rough 96bulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 1L_dawg View Post
    I am not trying to be argumentative but i was expecting a position coach from a d1a school or a coordinator/hc from a successful d1aa program. i am reserving judgment on this hire until a later date. i trust that dooley knows what he is doing.
    Spangler is a former defensive coordinator from a powerful I-AA school. He was the coordinator at Georgia Southern for five years. Read this paragraph from his bio and you will know he has plenty of experience coaching on winning teams:
    Spangler arrived on campus in 1997 after serving as defensive coordinator at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro, Ga., for five seasons. Prior to his term as defensive coordinator, Spangler was an assistant coach at Georgia Southern from 1987-89 in charge of defensive backs. During his tenure at Georgia Southern, Spangler helped coach five teams which advanced to the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs (1988, 1989, 1990, 1993, & 1995), including a pair of teams in 1989 and 1990 which won back-to-back NCAA Division I-AA national titles. In 1993, Spangler was named the Southern Conference’s Defensive Assistant Coach-of-the-Year after the Eagles won the league regular season title and finished tied for sixth in the nation in scoring defense.
    In another thread you can find links to newspaper articles that talk about his GATA philosophy ("Get After Them Agressively"). He has always had good defensive teams at PC and I am personally excited to have him coming to Tech. He has a proven track record as a defensive coordinator and I expect good things from him here, too.

Big Dog SummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the earsSummaCumDoggie seems to have something between the ears SummaCumDoggie's Avatar

Great news - I believe we've got a winner here folks.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

For all of you DOUBTERS: Remember how excited ALL of us were when Derek Dooley was hired? Remember how IMPRESSED ALL of us were when reading his bio & realizing the big-time experience we were getting with this hire? Remember how ALL of us were blown away when he addressed the crowd in the Hall of Fame room--his intelligence, eloquence, & public relations were all on display & ALL of us were so impressed. This guy knows what the heck he is doing. We can TRUST that! So, whenever he makes a hire, please KNOW that our Coach Dooley knows what he is doing. ALL of us are finding it hard to TRUST after we have been misled from time to time in the past---its TIME for us to TRUST that our guy will always do what is in the BEST INTEREST of his & Louisiana Tech's football program. Remember how ALL of you felt when Maxie Lambright hired a guy to coach his QB's & coordinate his offense when that guy had NEVER COACHED in his life? It all worked out!!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

PC is in the middle of a transition to IAA. They have been successful in DII. I can see jay's comparison to Hatcher...13 ppg is pretty impressive. Is Hudspeth an offensive guy? Let's give him a holler. This looks like an excellent hire to me.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

+ Reply to Thread