+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WAC Baseball fields

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: WAC Baseball fields

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    Very nice! The Travs deserve it. I have some great memories of Ray Winder as a kid. What is this one going to be called?
    It's gonna be called Dickey-Stephens Park. Named after Hall of Fame catcher Bill Dickey and Jack Stephens (founder of Stephens, Inc). Construction time is around 15 months. Cost is $28 million. Opening day gonna be April 17, 2007. Hold approx 5,500 with 24 suites. I'll be there on opening day.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

No wonder Love Field is considered a launching pad. I would imagine teams with some big hitters get real excited when they see our field.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

My memories of Ray Winder Field from the 80s and 90s while I worked a few years as outdoor editor of the Arkansas Democrat and as associate outdoor editor and assistant sports editor of the Gazette during its final 3.5 years!

Newsies filled a section of the bleachers many nights and at least one TV anchor, Steve Barnes, was excused from doing one news broadcast at night whenever he chose to attend a game. It was in his contract. Coverage of games included the writing of at most four writers from the two papers and usually one photographer from each. But the crowd often included enough underpaid media workers to qualify as a working journalist's idea of a cocktail party!

The new place looks great but may take a while to match the memories by pre-yuppie baseball fans.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

I went back and opened the two outside photos of Winder and was further disgusted. Whose idea was this and why?

Will it be leased to a church on Sunday mornings? A synagogue on Saturday, a ??? you name it. What does any of that structure have to do with a baseball game?

The expense of athletic facilities galls me the same way the expense of bank branch buildings does in some places.

I don't want my bank to build a fancy building, just have an accurate accounting system with a secure, dependable computer, a wise loan manager and a secure safe.

They never pay enough interest on savings and charge too much for loans.

And old ball fields should never be abandoned. The spirit of past games will always be lurking there!

Baseball — the only reason to mow.

+ Reply to Thread