+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LSU versus Tech

2004 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion Bone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant futureBone_afide_Dawg has a brilliant future Bone_afide_Dawg's Avatar

LSU versus Tech

I'd like to get ya'lls take on something...

Once upon a time I pulled hard against LSU considering them a Tech rival, maybe not on the field so much but rather as a recruiting rival. Now I'm thinking it's actually better for Tech that LSU is being successful.

If LSU is good and taking the cream of the High School crop that leaves the 2nd and 3rd level players for everyone else to fight over. If LSU is down the best players are going to probably leave the state for bigger universities else where. This then allows LSU to pull in the 2's & 3's which reduces what is available to Tech. I'd rather Tech recruit against the ULM's and ULL's etc than LSU.

Sure I wish Tech could recruit head-to-head with LSU but those days are not these days. Maybe in time with some returned success that will change.

Champ touchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond reputetouchdown123 has a reputation beyond repute touchdown123's Avatar

Re: LSU versus Tech

Why was our best year 1999, LSU's worst year then?

Varsity Bulldog digidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the earsdigidawg87 seems to have something between the ears digidawg87's Avatar

LSU had the best over all players, they just didn't know what to do with them.

Puppy bigtex has turned a few heads around herebigtex has turned a few heads around herebigtex has turned a few heads around herebigtex has turned a few heads around here bigtex's Avatar

Comparing Tech vs. LSU or any other BCS school for that matter is entertaining but not very useful. Their financial capabilities are on a much different scale than ours and until we get equity in that arena, we will always be stuck in the mid-major category (not that it is a bad thing to be a mid-major). I would go as far to say that LSU is unaffected by anything done by or anyone recruited by Tech (unless we beat them---eat your heart out Alabama! he he he). Not trying to be negative but in reality if I'm a high school football standout and Tech and LSU are actively recruiting me....I'm going to LSU. Better facilities, larger fan base, better coaching (that may no longer be the case), better opponents and much, much better national exposure. Don't get me wrongk, I love Tech and if we are one day playing amongst the BCS schools I would be delighted, but to compare them to us right now is not really a valid comparison

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
    Comparing Tech vs. LSU or any other BCS school for that matter is entertaining but not very useful. Their financial capabilities are on a much different scale than ours and until we get equity in that arena, we will always be stuck in the mid-major category (not that it is a bad thing to be a mid-major). I would go as far to say that LSU is unaffected by anything done by or anyone recruited by Tech (unless we beat them---eat your heart out Alabama! he he he). Not trying to be negative but in reality if I'm a high school football standout and Tech and LSU are actively recruiting me....I'm going to LSU. Better facilities, larger fan base, better coaching (that may no longer be the case), better opponents and much, much better national exposure. Don't get me wrongk, I love Tech and if we are one day playing amongst the BCS schools I would be delighted, but to compare them to us right now is not really a valid comparison
    An advantage a Louisiana Tech would have is that for those prospects considering legitimate scholarship offers from LSU that are not in the top 100 prospects nationally is the opportunity to play sooner so as to develope earlier and be better over their 4 years. Sitting more than 2 years (counting redshirt year) doesn't do much for me just to say I wore an LSU uniform and was on the squad.

The main overwhelming thing that I observed again during bowl season with the top BCS schools is how much better talent they have on both sides of the line and in the secondary. Makes skill players look so much better with that type of talent. Granted they will also generally have one stellar skill player that sticks out as well. The line and athletes in secondary stick out to me as the main difference with top BCS and Mid Majors.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigtex View Post
    But we should still go after the top recruits in our area. Sure, most of the time they are going to end up at a BcS school, but every once in a while one is going to be a free thinker and relish the opportunity to be a big fish in a small pond.

Varsity Bulldog tbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nice

there are no 2nd and 3rd level division 1 players. in order to win in division 1 you better beat lsu out of division 1 recruits. example troy edwards , tim tattay , eric shaw , matt stover, ryan moats. take 2nd and 3rd level recruits and we will be getting another coach in 5 years

Puppy BirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really nice BirdDawg's Avatar

One of the reasons I didn't really want Saben to take the job at Alabama was recruiting in our state. I remember that he stated one of the reasons he took the LSU job was the amount of talent in the state. (Alot more than Alabama).

This is also why I like the Dooley hire because of the recruiting possiblities. Saben is already prowling the state trying to get them to Alabama now. The points about playing time is a good one and I think that we (La Tech) have proven that we can put players in the NFL.

If you are good enough, you'll go pro. Quarterbacks especially. You get alot of pro QB's that come from smaller schools. If they are big enough, with a big enough arm, they can teach them in the NFL.

I was proud for the state watching the Sugar Bowl and I do think that LSU could arguably be the best team in the country. ( I would have loved to have seen them play USC). But I did catch myself rooting for Notre Dame to do well. (My wife-LSUS alum gave me dirty looks)

And I knew LSU was going to kill Notre Dame....but that doesn't change the fact that if LSU would have lost......I would have had the biggest grin on my face

Puppy BirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really niceBirdDawg is just really nice BirdDawg's Avatar

TBonne what are you talking about. Did you not watch the Boise State v Oklahoma game. Those were not "division 1" recruits. Ian Johnson even said so himself.

And do your homework...I love Tim Rattay...but nobody....I repeat NOBODY recruited him. We were the only school to give him a chance after Jr. College in Arizona.

And nobody wanted Ryan Moats because of his leg injury in High School.

I feel a red dot coming on!

Varsity Bulldog bayourant has turned a few heads around herebayourant has turned a few heads around herebayourant has turned a few heads around here

There is enought talent in the region that Tech in reality should not have to worry about it for the next few years. Keep just improving the program and La Tech will get their share. Alos just as important if the WAC continues to improve that will help a lot.

In the end I am not sure about important all these 4 and 5 star guys are. Some are great some I suspect flop in college. LSU's entire roster is not filled wit Mcknights. I think the recruiting hunt is become just as entertaing for some fans as the season. That is not a bad thing but it is not necessary to success. It can make a fifference just look at USC but I think that is in the margins

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayourant View Post
    There is enought talent in the region that Tech in reality should not have to worry about it for the next few years. Keep just improving the program and La Tech will get their share. Alos just as important if the WAC continues to improve that will help a lot.

In the end I am not sure about important all these 4 and 5 star guys are. Some are great some I suspect flop in college. LSU's entire roster is not filled wit Mcknights. I think the recruiting hunt is become just as entertaing for some fans as the season. That is not a bad thing but it is not necessary to success. It can make a fifference just look at USC but I think that is in the margins
    I like the idea of going after the top recruits (rather than just assuming they won't come here) for two reasons: 1) It helps our perception. It suggests to recruits that we are serious when we go after the players that are considered the top prospects. It keeps our name in circulation in those circles. 2) Every once in a while we are going to land some of those top recruits, if we are continuously actively recruiting them.

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I think a lot of you are forgetting that Les has been successful because of Saban's recruits. The team that demolished ND was not a Les Miles team, it was Saban's. I'm eager to see how LSU is going to do not only in recruiting but also with their W-L record after Saban's boys are gone.

Varsity Bulldog tbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nicetbonne34 is just really nice

birddog i did watch the boise game . and i saw some good division 1 recruits playing for boise. maybe by way of jr. college but they were good players. la tech can not concede that we do not have a product to sell and recruit lesser players. look at our schedules do you want to go play the auburns and oklahoma states etc.. and not go after the top players. la tech can beat out lsu and other schools opn some kids. remember mackey the wr and martin the qb . get some of the best from north la. and sweep south la. for a few hit miss. and texas. but do not say we take players with out div 1 talent.

Varsity Bulldog Buck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the earsBuck Magnum seems to have something between the ears Buck Magnum's Avatar

I do not believe that Saban is going to automatically come in and hand pick our recruits. Despite ya'll hating LSU, you have to admit, Saban has hurt his credibility with Louisiana schools. Dooley, Miles, or whoever can use that to their advantage. I honestly believe that Tech will prosper in the coming years because of teams like Boise St. Recruits on the fence in regards to go to a big "BCS" school or stay closer to home.

Quote Originally Posted by tbonne34 View Post
    birddog i did watch the boise game . and i saw some good division 1 recruits playing for boise. maybe by way of jr. college but they were good players. la tech can not concede that we do not have a product to sell and recruit lesser players. look at our schedules do you want to go play the auburns and oklahoma states etc.. and not go after the top players. la tech can beat out lsu and other schools opn some kids. remember mackey the wr and martin the qb . get some of the best from north la. and sweep south la. for a few hit miss. and texas. but do not say we take players with out div 1 talent.
    I never said nor meant that we don't go after top rank players in the state. Look at William Griffen as an example. My opinion is that any top rank player can go to Tech and still have as good a chance to go pro.

What you saw from Boise are players that have been coached with discipline and to execute.
    There were not many (if any) that were recruited by say a pac 10 school, I would venture to say. More than anything, they had a ton of heart and they believed they could win. That comes from finding the right kids with that kind of attitude and coaching.

When a team like Boise rolls thru the conference undefeated it is not because they had more "level 1 or division 1" athletes than us. Their athletes didn't choose Boise over USC. They had great kids, with talent and great coaching.

And all those players that you listed as our (La Tech) division 1 athletes that have gone pro were not heavily recruited by what you consider division 1. We are division 1 and we do and should recruit those kids. We just don't get a large share of them. You need to do some homework on how those kids ended up at Tech.

+ Reply to Thread