+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HDTV Reception in Ruston

Puppy kakito is an unknown kakito's Avatar

HDTV Reception in Ruston

Many of the local Monroe/Shreveport networks have begun transmitting high definition signals. My one concern before I buy an antenna is how good is the signal in Ruston. Can I buy a set-top antenna or an outdoor antenna? how much does each cost? if anyone has any experience with this, please let me know, as it would be awesome to watch the NFL playoffs in HD.

Thanks in advance.

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Re: HDTV Reception in Ruston

Quote Originally Posted by kakito View Post
    Many of the local Monroe/Shreveport networks have begun transmitting high definition signals. My one concern before I buy an antenna is how good is the signal in Ruston. Can I buy a set-top antenna or an outdoor antenna? how much does each cost? if anyone has any experience with this, please let me know, as it would be awesome to watch the NFL playoffs in HD.

Thanks in advance.
    I didn't have a HDTV when I lived in Ruston, so I'm not certain, but I doubt you could recieve a signal from Shreveport. Just to be able to pick up the Monroe stations I would imagine you'll need a pretty solid external, directional antenna, probably with a pre-amp.

Hopefully someone who is in Ruston can help you more than I have.

The three DTV stations antennaweb.org says you should pick up in Ruston (I'd recommend a visit to their site):
    KETZ-DT 12 PBS El Dorado (Future)
    KTVE-DT 14.1 NBC EL DORADO AR
    KNOE-DT 7.1 CBS MONROE LA

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

If you take a look at the service contour maps on the FCC website (follow the link, type in the station callsign, click on "Service Contour Map"), they show Ruston to be inside the "reception area" for KNOE-DT, and KTVE-DT; right on the fringe for KSLA-DT, KTBS-DT (Shreveport); and outside the reception area of KMSS-DT. (You can look up more if you like...)

It seems like you'd need an external antenna to pick up any HD signals, and you may not get much after you spend the $$$ anyway...

Puppy watson3 is an unknown watson3's Avatar

I used an indoor antenna until I found an outdoor one that I liked for my area. I am right off of Cooktown, but surrounded by trees..The indoor picks up Knoe DT great, but thats it..With the outdoor, I get around 17 channels over the air, 6 of those digital..A good forum to check out is the KTVE HDTV one..Very informative..

+ Reply to Thread