+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FOOTBALL ECONOMICS 101

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: FOOTBALL ECONOMICS 101

Quote Originally Posted by MICKEYS14 View Post
    Brian-it wasn't so much the NUMBERS involved in Mr. Reeves' article that caught my eye. It was much more the PRINCIPLES guiding Alabama in the production of income to pay for all those huge numbers. I have long been an advocate of developing every single revenue stream at our school such as is common to all schools participating on the D1-A level. That is why I urged DR back when we joined the WAC in 2000 to hire four energetic, young fund-raisers & put them on a commission basis for athletics. At the same time, I asked him to make sure that we maximized our efforts in game-day potential revenue (concessions, ticket prices, parking, souvenir sales) as well as put intense emphasis on licensing fees, naming rights, radio & tv revenue, tournament revenue, in other words, ALL potential sources of revenue COMMON to schools in D1-A. At the same time, I asked for an investment in management people in athletics with experience to help us maximize our return in these vitally important profit centers. Needless to say, my plea fell on deaf ears in 2000 but, it looks like we are now beginning to move in this direction now.
    Coach I'll always remember your speech to us grass roots volunteers in the basement of the TAC back in 2000. You had us wanting to run through a wall in order to hawk season tickets for Tech. My first impression of something being wrong in Ruston was when I tried to follow up with the Athletic department in setting up events for ticket sales.

I look forward to better days and I hope they use your enthusiam and love of Tech to their full advantage this go round.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Brian-it wasn't so much the NUMBERS involved in Mr. Reeves' article that caught my eye. It was much more the PRINCIPLES guiding Alabama in the production of income to pay for all those huge numbers. I have long been an advocate of developing every single revenue stream at our school such as is common to all schools participating on the D1-A level. That is why I urged DR back when we joined the WAC in 2000 to hire four energetic, young fund-raisers & put them on a commission basis for athletics. At the same time, I asked him to make sure that we maximized our efforts in game-day potential revenue (concessions, ticket prices, parking, souvenir sales) as well as put intense emphasis on licensing fees, naming rights, radio & tv revenue, tournament revenue, in other words, ALL potential sources of revenue COMMON to schools in D1-A. At the same time, I asked for an investment in management people in athletics with experience to help us maximize our return in these vitally important profit centers. Needless to say, my plea fell on deaf ears in 2000 but, it looks like we are now beginning to move in this direction now.
    I know, Coach, I wasn't trying to disagree with you, I was trying to flesh out the rest of the argument by applying the principles to our situation.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

It is very difficult for any school who is a member of a BCS conference to "lose" money in any sport considering the payouts each receives from the conference to which they belong. I remember reading last year that each one of the SEC schools received a check from the SEC at fiscal year-end for almost $12 million which was money generated for the conference by the member institutions. The same was true for the Big 12 & I am sure that the other BCS conferences did much the same.
    I think the reason some BcS schools lose money is because there is such an arms race or keeping up with the Joneses out there. When you have schools like Alabama and Texas clearing 8-digit PROFITS which they reinvest in their program, then the schools that face them year in and year out have to come up with similar money to keep up, even though their profits may be much lower than these top producers.

Either way, athletics is one of the primary standards upon which people base their judgments of a university, and in north Louisiana the athletic language they speak is football. This makes it a no-brainer that FB should lead the way as we build a top athletic department.

I am encouraged by your optimism that DR is serious about doing this right, especially in light of your long history of attempting to influence the highest levels of Tech decisionmakers to make the most of the athletic gifts that keep landing in their laps. We seem so close to getting on a highway that will lead to something great, I just hope the administration doesn't miss the on-ramp.
    Last edited by Brian96; 01-15-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Bulldog rustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nicerustydawg is just really nice rustydawg's Avatar

Coach,
    Based on your own words quoted here, please tell us again why you aren't qualified to be the AD???? Other than the "young" thing, of course!

rustydawg

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Don't need more evidence than what is happening at Boise State....

Boise State experiences a bump in applications for graduate programs due to national exposure from the Fiesta Bowl...more

Puppy bigtex has turned a few heads around herebigtex has turned a few heads around herebigtex has turned a few heads around herebigtex has turned a few heads around here bigtex's Avatar

I could not agree with you more, reality. This is exactly what Tech needs. For so long the academic standards at Tech have been raised over and over again. This is a great reminder that the athletics and academics are not mutually exclusive. If managed correctly, they WILL complement each other for the greater good of the university.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Rusty-the key word is ENERGY, an intangible taken for granted by those under 60. In order to do the tremendous amount of work that our AD MUST do, a man needs to have the ENERGY to do it! I simply do NOT have the ENERGY to do the job at age 66 that I might have had at age 46. You (hopefully) will find this out for yourself when you reach the ripe age of 65. That drive, that motivation, that ENERGY that you had as a young man, so ambitious & so eager to make your mark, has turned into hoping you have enough to keep up with your grandchildren. Our guy will need to have experience in athletic administration coupled with the ENERGY to get the job done.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Rusty-the key word is ENERGY, an intangible taken for granted by those under 60. In order to do the tremendous amount of work that our AD MUST do, a man needs to have the ENERGY to do it! I simply do NOT have the ENERGY to do the job at age 66 that I might have had at age 46. You (hopefully) will find this out for yourself when you reach the ripe age of 65. That drive, that motivation, that ENERGY that you had as a young man, so ambitious & so eager to make your mark, has turned into hoping you have enough to keep up with your grandchildren. Our guy will need to have experience in athletic administration coupled with the ENERGY to get the job done.

Coach, I hope you know that while we would love to have you as our AD and feel that you would be outstanding (hmm, who uses that word often?), we know it's not something you wish to pursue. We just enjoy having fun with you and this is our way of expressing our gratitude for all you've done for Tech over the years and continue to do. There are very few of us around who posses your unconditional love for our alma mater and for that I and I'm sure many others are indebted to you. Please be patient with us for all our prodding and suggesting we do for how we think you should be involved with Tech. We don't mean any harm.

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Coach, I hope you know that while we would love to have you as our AD and feel that you would be outstanding (hmm, who uses that word often?), we know it's not something you wish to pursue. We just enjoy having fun with you and this is our way of expressing our gratitude for all you've done for Tech over the years and continue to do. There are very few of us around who posses your unconditional love for our alma mater and for that I and I'm sure many others are indebted to you. Please be patient with us for all our prodding and suggesting we do for how we think you should be involved with Tech. We don't mean any harm.
    Yeah! What he said!
    Plus we know a "tired" Coach Mick is 10 thousand times better than an "energetic" JOakes.

Champ MICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant futureMICKEYS14 has a brilliant future

Dirty-thank you dear friend. I do understand that many times the board is just trying to stir me up a little & see a small amount of ENERGY!

Dirty-thank you dear friend. I do understand that many times the board is just trying to stir me up a little & see a small amount of ENERGY!
    And a small amount of Coach Mick energy is still A LOT of energy.

I still think that you have more ability to lead Tech athletics in your pinky than the incumbent has in his entire body. Hmmm. Could your pinky be AD?

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

So how about Special Assistant to the AD?? Or what about the Football operations position?? Have you been approached in the last 10 years or so about any position within the administration??

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

IT IS TIME FOR JIM OAKES TO MOVE ON...FIND A JOB THAT IS WITHIN HIS CAPABILITIES...MANAGING AN ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT IS BIG BUSINESS AND FAR REMOVED FROM MANAGING GOVERNMENT-FUNDED BUREAUCRATS!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ BIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really niceBIG DOG28 is just really nice

Tech can't pay 14 enough money to walk away from his job loaded with stock options.

Varsity Bulldog Coachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really niceCoachdawg is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by BIG DOG28 View Post
    Tech can't pay 14 enough money to walk away from his job loaded with stock options.

28--Now you know the "rest" and "truth" of the story.

+ Reply to Thread