+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heads up

Puppy Hoss has turned a few heads around hereHoss has turned a few heads around here

Basketball Re: Heads up

[quote=tigtoo30;436613]Under Leon, who would not have recruited some of these players IMO, and probably would have recruited better pure shooters and taught them Techster defense, we probably would have been no worse than 15-3 right now.

I don't know why we have gotten away from pure shooters and play makers, and instead have recruited athletes. There has got to be a good balance. 2 athletes, 2 pure shooters who can play defense, and one true leader is the formula Leon always used for success. I honestly believe it falls to poor recruiting. Not saying that these girls have no talent, but you put 2 Amber Metoyer's, two Boyd's and 1 Tasha Williams, and this team would have been NCAA bound in a heart beat. Instead, we have 5 good athletes who play good defense, but can't handle the ball, can't shoot very well, and have no leader (and no one seems to be willing to step up).

Just IMHO, and I am mad as heck right now, but I will follow all Tech sports to my dying day. I'll always hope for the best, but I don't have to always be OK with what's going on on the court/field.[/quote

Couldnt' have said it better myself, Tig. I sometimes get tired of the "she's an athlete" type mentality. Don't get me wrong, it sure does help, but will never take the place of good, pure shooters. Heck, Emily Neiman wasn't "athletic", but she still managed to hit those threes for Baylor when they needed her to. Some would criticize because she was a detriment on defense. I'm sure that point could be argued, but still she could shoot lights out. Like I've said in previous posts, pure shooters are hard to find these days, or maybe should I say hard to recruit. No one wants to stay in the gym anymore these days after practice. Looks like the Techsters could use some help with shooting on their own and practicing free throws on their own. These are things that happen AFTER practice is over, though, not necessarily during practice. There are too many other things that have to be covered in practice. The present Techsters weren't around in the 70's and 80's to see the start of the program. It's gotta be in your blood. Someone needs to get this team back to where they used to be.
    Some attitudes obviously need to be adjusted, too. Okay, enough rambling..........

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Heads up

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Under Leon, who would not have recruited some of these players IMO, and probably would have recruited better pure shooters and taught them Techster defense, we probably would have been no worse than 15-3 right now.

I don't know why we have gotten away from pure shooters and play makers, and instead have recruited athletes. There has got to be a good balance. 2 athletes, 2 pure shooters who can play defense, and one true leader is the formula Leon always used for success. I honestly believe it falls to poor recruiting. Not saying that these girls have no talent, but you put 2 Amber Metoyer's, two Boyd's and 1 Tasha Williams, and this team would have been NCAA bound in a heart beat. Instead, we have 5 good athletes who play good defense, but can't handle the ball, can't shoot very well, and have no leader (and no one seems to be willing to step up).

Just IMHO, and I am mad as heck right now, but I will follow all Tech sports to my dying day. I'll always hope for the best, but I don't have to always be OK with what's going on on the court/field.
    Not sure if no one is "willing" to step up. It sounds like we have several that are willing, but have not shown the skills to have people follow.

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I have always been all for bringing TSpoon back as an assistant coach. That would be a great addition to this team and would concentrate on guard play.
    I heard that she applied for the job when Christie Sides left. I also heard that Oakes didn't want her to have the job, and Budke hired Miranda Serna. I don't know how true that is, but that's what I heard.

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

If Long can't get er done after next season (like you champ, I think you have to give him at least 3 years), it would be interesting to see Sides back as a head coach. Just IMO

Champ tigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant futuretigtoo30 has a brilliant future tigtoo30's Avatar

Not sure if no one is "willing" to step up. It sounds like we have several that are willing, but have not shown the skills to have people follow.
    Excellent point. I hate to say it, but I'm ready to see Eboni as the senior team member next year (and at full power). I think she has the prowess to take it on. I think that she maybe doesn't have the "respect" of the senior squad this year which is hindering her.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I will keep my head up through this year.
    ...but I will NOT give up.
    Ditto.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by tigtoo30 View Post
    Excellent point. I hate to say it, but I'm ready to see Eboni as the senior team member next year (and at full power). I think she has the prowess to take it on. I think that she maybe doesn't have the "respect" of the senior squad this year which is hindering her.
    I agree. I think Eboni could easily be the leader on this team, if she was older. She is not full strength yet. I hope she gets back soon. She is getting better and better. She was a scoring machine in high school and, when she started last year before the injury, you could see that she was going to be awesome.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I will keep my head up through this year. Even though, I am terribly disappointed, I have faith that it can still be turned around.

It is really easy to get discouraged and give up. The hard route is continuing to believe and support this program right now. It is obvious that there is something emotional going on with this team, but that will change.

My feeling (and no one even has to agree) is that there will be a turn around this year. Something is going to click and this will look like a different team. I will hold on. We are now playing for seeding in the WAC tournament, unless Boise and Nevada have a melt down, which is possible. Nevada lost to Boise State in OT, so we knew that they were going to be tough.

Anyway, for those that want to just complain, I certainly understand. I, on the other hand, will get MAD, ANGRY, and even feel sick at my stomach some this year, but I will NOT give up.
    Yeah, I am a little stubborn too........ Being compared to Bush is a VERY low blow, though. That may be the only thing that makes me re-evaluate my position. :icon_wink:
    Yeah, come to think of it I did sort of have "stay the course" reverberating in my head when I read that first post.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

I have always been all for bringing TSpoon back as an assistant coach. That would be a great addition to this team and would concentrate on guard play.
    What is Brooke, then? I'm surprised that she hasn't been able to light more fire. Although, April Williams, a guard, is one of the few that seems to play with decent intensity.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'm watching OSU and Texas Tech. Budke's team appears much more fundamentally sound than Long's. I don't get the idea Long is rebuilding anything.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I'm watching OSU and Texas Tech. Budke's team appears much more fundamentally sound than Long's. I don't get the idea Long is rebuilding anything.
    Me either. All I see is he's tearing down the House that Barmore Built.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Me either. All I see is he's tearing down the House that Barmore Built.

Anyone know if Leon has been asked by Long to come motivate/"kick start" (as per their butts) the team so-to-speak?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Anyone know if Leon has been asked by Long to come motivate/"kick start" (as per their butts) the team so-to-speak?
    Long is the HC - not Leon....

If Long is EVER going to earn the respect of and gain control of this team HE has to do it -

There are DEEP, DEEP problems on this team right now.
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Long is the HC - not Leon....

If Long is EVER going to earn the respect of and gain control of this team HE has to do it -

There are DEEP, DEEP problems on this team right now.
    I agree with that bolded part COMPLETELY. I have previously advocated for a little Leon butt-chewing, but Long is the one calling the shots on the floor and he is the one that has to get this straightened out for the effects to be lasting.

It would be different if Long had taken over directly for Barmore and these were Barmore's recruits. In that case it might make sense for Barmore to get involved at the player level.

On the other hand, I hope that Long is still open to and getting mentoring from Barmore. This could be a crossroads in his career if he can make the needed adjustments in his coaching style.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    I agree with that bolded part COMPLETELY. I have previously advocated for a little Leon butt-chewing, but Long is the one calling the shots on the floor and he is the one that has to get this straightened out for the effects to be lasting.

It would be different if Long had taken over directly for Barmore and these were Barmore's recruits. In that case it might make sense for Barmore to get involved at the player level.

On the other hand, I hope that Long is still open to and getting mentoring from Barmore. This could be a crossroads in his career if he can make the needed adjustments in his coaching style.
    That is really more what I meant per my question. I think DFM knows that as well. Just having Leon show up and watch a weeks worth of practises might work wonders. He wouldn't even have to say anything to the gals. His presence is all it might take as far as the gals and his comments to LONG after might be a key as well.

+ Reply to Thread