View Poll Results: What Position Will Saints Choose with 1st Draft Pick?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defensive Back

62 74.70%
  • Linebacker

13 15.66%
  • Other Defense

8 9.64%
  • Other Offense

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Saints 2007 Draft

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Re: Saints 2007 Draft

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Check out SI's 2006 draft pick rankings. Way to go SAINTS!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...ontent.10.html
    Was there any doubt? Colston pretty much sealed this for us. Evans was gravy on top and Bush was a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by LSuNuma1 View Post
    I voted linebacker. I think the Saints will address CB in free agency, since that is their greatest need. I also would like the Saints to upgrade at TE if possible. I just don't like the Saints core at TE.
    I totally agree. The Saints are good now, they dont have time to develop a corner, which is probably one of the hardest positionsto jump from good college CB to good pro CB. We need a corner that can come in and be good now. I believe we should take LB in the first round also. I would really like to replace Simoneaux n the middle with a better playmaker. Then, see if we can get a good TE in 3rd round or so.

Varsity Bulldog Dallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really nice Dallasbb's Avatar

I'm pretty much with the consensus here and that the Saints will rely on upgrading the CB position through free agency. There are a couple of good CB's in the draft but I don't think they'll drop all the way down to the Saints.

I'm glad they re-signed Shanle. He still has tremendous upside having only been in league 4 years. I don't think Simoneau is the answer to compliment Fujita and Shanle so I would like to see the Saints upgrade either in the draft (some good lb's in the draft) or through free agency.

I'd like to see them draft a TE or a WR. I truly don't think Joe Horn will be in a Saints uniform next year and we need another receiver to compliment Colston. If I had a choice, I'd like to draft a TE. A big target like that will fit in very nicely with Coach P's offense and will give Brees another target to keep the opposing defenses guessing.

I don't think we'll lose Charles Grant this year so I'm not overly concerned with the d-line. If they can't work out a deal, they'll franchise him. No way they just let him go for nothing....I hope not at least.

Puppy LSuNuma1 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Dallasbb View Post
    I'd like to see them draft a TE or a WR. I truly don't think Joe Horn will be in a Saints uniform next year and we need another receiver to compliment Colston. If I had a choice, I'd like to draft a TE. A big target like that will fit in very nicely with Coach P's offense and will give Brees another target to keep the opposing defenses guessing.
    I really wish the Saints would keep Joe Horn. I know it isn't feasible in the current NFL environment but Joe Horn provides leadership to that offensive unit. Winning teams need those type of guys. It's a shame he doesn't want to rework his contract.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I really wish the Saints would keep Joe Horn. I know it isn't feasible in the current NFL environment but Joe Horn provides leadership to that offensive unit. Winning teams need those type of guys. It's a shame he doesn't want to rework his contract.
    I always thought Joe's contract was absurd anyway. Did the Saints really ink a guy until he was 40? Come on, he isnt a kicker.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

restructure his contract?? in the words of latrell sprewell...he's gotta feed his family

Varsity Bulldog Dallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really niceDallasbb is just really nice Dallasbb's Avatar

I'd love to see Joe stay too because while he's not the type to burn corners on post routes, he can make those tough clutch catches. I think his groin injury was more severe than any of us thought (or at least what was reported). So if he's unwilling to rework his contract, I can't see the Saints ponying the money up for an aging receiver who will require more time to heal from future injuries. My emotional attachment to this team would LOVE to see the Saints keep him but I don't think it would be in their best interest long term. But we'll see how it all shakes out.

Forgot to add one more point. I think Joe provided some sorely lacking leadership during the Haslett days (I've heard he didn't from some corners) but I tend to believe he did. But Brees took on that role this year and took it to a higher level.

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    restructure his contract?? in the words of latrell sprewell...he's gotta feed his family
    Funny you should mention that. Charles Grant on WWL a couple of days ago discussing his immense displeasure with the Saints placing the franchise tag on him:

"I got little girls I got to take care of."

Sigh...

BTW, playing this season under the franchise tag would make him over $8.6 million.

Puppy lsustudent is on the way downlsustudent is on the way down

I saw Joe Horn, Devery Henderson, and Michael Lewis in the Zulu parade in New Orleans Tuesday.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Big Dog jlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the roughjlam is a jewel in the rough jlam's Avatar

I think a major drawback to this poll/thread is that it assumes that the Saints will without a doubt use their first pick on a defensive player, which not the case. Now they may very well end up picking defense, but if we enter the draft not being able to pick the best player available, then we didn't do a good enough job in the offseason of filling needs. The second a team starts reaching for needs in the draft, they're screwed, especially when you're reaching at the bottom of the first round where it's even harder to judge who will be sure-fire successes.

Don't get me wrong, I think Willis or Derrelle Revis (etc.) would be great additions to the team, but It's not smart to put all of your eggs in the basket of a player who has zero NFL experience.

Imagine a scenario where a player like Ted Ginn, Jr were to fall to the bottom of the first round (injury concerns, slower than anticipated 40 time, whatever, strictly hypothetical). We should be able to snatch him up immediately because he is the highest rated player left on the board without having to worry about that gaping hole at MLB, DT, or CB that we neglected to fill via free agency or trade.

I seriously doubt this staff has any qualms whatsoever about taking a WR, TE, or OL in the first round if they feel they are the best player left to be taken.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlam View Post
    I think a major drawback to this poll/thread is that it assumes that the Saints will without a doubt use their first pick on a defensive player, which not the case. Now they may very well end up picking defense, but if we enter the draft not being able to pick the best player available, then we didn't do a good enough job in the offseason of filling needs. The second a team starts reaching for needs in the draft, they're screwed, especially when you're reaching at the bottom of the first round where it's even harder to judge who will be sure-fire successes.

Don't get me wrong, I think Willis or Derrelle Revis (etc.) would be great additions to the team, but It's not smart to put all of your eggs in the basket of a player who has zero NFL experience.

Imagine a scenario where a player like Ted Ginn, Jr were to fall to the bottom of the first round (injury concerns, slower than anticipated 40 time, whatever, strictly hypothetical). We should be able to snatch him up immediately because he is the highest rated player left on the board without having to worry about that gaping hole at MLB, DT, or CB that we neglected to fill via free agency or trade.

I seriously doubt this staff has any qualms whatsoever about taking a WR, TE, or OL in the first round if they feel they are the best player left to be taken.
    That was why the 4th option was other offense.

Patrick Willis' stock shot up at the combine. From Yahoo sports:

Mississippi senior linebacker Patrick Willis: He started the postseason as one of the most productive defenders available, but between the Senior Bowl practices and his performance at the combine, he has now become one of the most athletic. His 4.48/4.50-range 40 times impressed even the harshest critic, but he also appears to be more flexible and comfortable dropping back into coverage – two areas that were questioned just two months ago. When you consider his qualities of ideal instincts, intangibles and all-around athleticism, it is likely that he could come off the board within the top 10 to 12 picks.

Varsity Bulldog bigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nicebigwagee is just really nice bigwagee's Avatar

I think it is going to be a wide receiver now.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

I didn't realize this, but the Saints apparently have the 27th and 28th pick in the first round. At least that's what the crawl on ESPN showed today when they were showing Mel Kiper's projected first round draft picks. Could have been a typo, but that's what they showed.

Mel is predicting that the Saints will take a corner from Pitt with the 27th pick (I forget his name) and will take WR Gonzales from Ohio St. with the 28th. That would be two pretty solid picks in the first round. Then maybe pick up a decent LB in the second round and we would be in pretty good shape. Maybe OL in the third if there are any good ones left.

Champ bluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond reputebluecrew has a reputation beyond repute bluecrew's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StrayDawg View Post
    I didn't realize this, but the Saints apparently have the 27th and 28th pick in the first round. At least that's what the crawl on ESPN showed today when they were showing Mel Kiper's projected first round draft picks. Could have been a typo, but that's what they showed.

Mel is predicting that the Saints will take a corner from Pitt with the 27th pick (I forget his name) and will take WR Gonzales from Ohio St. with the 28th. That would be two pretty solid picks in the first round. Then maybe pick up a decent LB in the second round and we would be in pretty good shape. Maybe OL in the third if there are any good ones left.

The Patriots have pick 28

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

i think you go with the best player available from the positions you need. i think they have to try and pay nate clements at cb.

as far as the draft, if ginn or bowe are sitting there, you might go for them. if patrick willis is there, you HAVE to take him and upgrade that linebacker spot. you can always hope a meachem or rice drop to you in the 2nd round. if not, a gonalez or davis will be there.

there are no ILB options after willis, he is it.

+ Reply to Thread