+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nursing

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Nursing

I thought by comments on this board that our nursing school was subpar compared to others.

http://www.latech.edu/technews/viewn...&id=1170370569

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Nursing

Nope -

We are just unfortunate it's not a full blown program due to the Federal ruling - they are speculating that within 5 years they will be out from order that decree and able to be a full blown program again -

According to my wife who is an adjunct with NWST's graduate school in Shreveport, Tech's students blow Grambling, ULM and even NWSt's undergraduates away on the boards -

Especially Grambling and ULM - they really seem to struggle - with the post graduate work and boards -

I know 2 of those pictured were HIRED away by Tech from NWST within the last 3 years - they even tried to talk my wife into coming over - but they wanted her full time and her full time job is with Homer Memorial Hospital and she teaches one graduate class a semster in the Nurse Practioner Program for NWST -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Nope -

We are just unfortunate it's not a full blown program due to the Federal ruling - they are speculating that within 5 years they will be out from order that decree and able to be a full blown program again -

According to my wife who is an adjunct with NWST's graduate school in Shreveport, Tech's students blow Grambling, ULM and even NWSt's undergraduates away on the boards -

Especially Grambling and ULM - they really seem to struggle - with the post graduate work and boards -

I know 2 of those pictured were HIRED away by Tech from NWST within the last 3 years - they even tried to talk my wife into coming over - but they wanted her full time and her full time job is with Homer Memorial Hospital and she teaches one graduate class a semster in the Nurse Practioner Program for NWST -
    I see. I hoped you were lurking somewhere and could answer that. I have a friend who has a daughter that is fixing to be 16 and wants to be in nursing. The general feeling around here is that ulm's is far superior to techs. Of course, he's a lsu fan though and gets sick of me talking about tech so i think he would rather her go ANYWHERE but tech :icon_wink:

since im clueless on the whole nursing thing, we have a 2 year right and the others have a 4 year? once they finish their two years here do they have to go to one of the others to finish?

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    since im clueless on the whole nursing thing, we have a 2 year right and the others have a 4 year? once they finish their two years here do they have to go to one of the others to finish?
    I'm clueless too, but I think I heard that when a student finishes at Tech, they can be an RN. If they want to go into administration, they have to get their two years elsewhere. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will correct me.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Wish we had a 4 yr nursing program and pharmacy

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    We are just unfortunate it's not a full blown program due to the Federal ruling - they are speculating that within 5 years they will be out from order that decree and able to be a full blown program again
    what federal ruling and how/why does it apply to tech???

I have a friend that's currently doing nursing - she's doing her clinicals at nwst (but is still a tech student)... so i'm assuming that how most nursing students at tech do it - go to nwst or ulm for their clinicals and other stuff, their other "two years" of nursing stuff... but get their degrees stamped by tech. just an assumption.

Champ roughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to beholdroughedge is a splendid one to behold roughedge's Avatar

Tech provides a R.N./Associates Degree in a 2-year program. GSU, ULM, & NWST award the R.N. at completion of the 4-year B.S. program. Both programs have the same nursing courses and clinicals. Tech's degree, being 2-years, does not include the history, P.E., electives, etc. typically found in a 4-year degree.

Tech can not have a bachelor's degree because of a federal desegregation mandate to increase nonminority enrollment at GSU.

My son was accepted into Tech's nursing program for the spring quarter. He could not get in last fall because it is very competitive, but he's been taking the non-nursing courses. He can then go to GSU or NWST's online program to get the B.S.

I understand many students get the R.N. in two years at Tech and go to work and complete the B.S. online through NWST.

There is no doubt in our minds that the nursing curriculum at Tech and the professors are as good as any nursing program in Louisiana. We just hate he won't have that bachelor's' from Tech.
    Last edited by roughedge; 02-09-2007 at 09:11 PM. Reason: misspellings

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roughedge View Post
    Tech provides a R.N./Associates Degree in a 2-year program. GSU, ULM, & NWST award the R.N. at completion of the 4-year B.S. program. Both programs have the same nursing courses and clinicals. Tech's degree, being 2-years, does not include the history, P.E., electives, etc. typically found in a 4-year degree.

Tech can not have a bachelor's degree because of a federal desegregation mandate to increase nonminority enrollment at GSU.

My son was accepted into Tech's nursing program for the spring quarter. He could not get in last fall because it is very competitive, but he's been taking the non-nursing courses. He can then go to GSU or NWST's online program to get the B.S.

I understand many students get the R.N. in two years at Tech and go to work and complete the B.S. online through NWST.

There is no doubt in our minds that the nursing curriculum at Tech and the professors are as good as any nursing program in Louisiana. We just hate he won't have that bachelor's' from Tech.
    That's right, and the associate's degree satisfies requirements to sit for the RN licensing exam (for which Tech has th highest pass rate in the state). I'm not familiar with licensing laws, but some may pursue the BS at other schools because of licensing laws or pay scales at certain employers.

I have known nursing students who do the AA degree and then get a bachelor's in something like sociology, psychology, biology, or some other loosely related program, to use their TOPS or academic scholarships at Tech.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    Cuz in law that's a great article for Tech. Yes, it's too bad we don't offer a bachelor's degree in nursing. I have found out many of the Texas hospitals love graduates of Louisiana's 4-year programs as a general rule.

Today was a proud day for daughter Em. She bought her first house in a very nice north San Antonio neighborhood. She's maxed out on the payscale at her level at the downtown hospital without going into administration. That's not what she wants to do in the future. In the very near future after getting some more experience in other hospital departments besides critical care unit and the emergency room she will enroll in Nurse Practicioner work. She and her ULM class of '04 are doing quite well so quickly out of school and after passing their national exams.

So, Dwayne, as usual, that's what I have expected you to say about nursing. Not all programs are being "blown away" in the graduate achievement level. You either pass the exam and become a nurse or you don't.

One advantage NLULM students has over the other nursing schools in the region is their pharmocology course. Drugs, they can get so complicated.

One thing about that picture, cuz in law, we definitely need a more diverse faculty.

First thing our Lousiana graduates need to learn is a little conversational Spanish after all that emphasis on Cajun French in our schools.

So, there, cuz-in-law, there's an opinion from a parent of a recent nursing school graduate who really wanted to go to Tech but the 2-year program did not appeal to her.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread