+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sometimes I just Don't Understand the Shreveport Times

Varsity Bulldog bayourant has turned a few heads around herebayourant has turned a few heads around herebayourant has turned a few heads around here

Sometimes I just Don't Understand the Shreveport Times

When I say understand that is what I mean. I am not just going to bash them here. I know their Sports writers come by here so perhaps they can enlighten me.

On Friday there was a decent article on the upcoming LSU/ARK game. After enjoying listening to the game last night I was looking forward to seeing this mornings paper. What did I see? Nada. Nothing not even hardly a blurb on the game or a reminder that this game was to continue today. So what do we have. We have a local College playing the number 4 team in the country. An Arkansas team that would have its have its own fans in the areas and are also interested. You also have rabid LSU baseball fans in the area that have a great interest in the team that is picked to win the SEC-West. It would make sense to me that this would be a big deal to put in the paper.

Two possibilities-

THe Shreveport Times is cutting back on sports coverage of local and college baseball.(I noticed nothing for instance on the LSU purple and Gold Scrimmage) . I find this though a least likely possibility because they did mention the start of the GSU and Centenary Season

or

I live in a rural area and I caught an edition of the paper that went out first and the city edition had much more or at least something. I find this a tad hard to believe since the game did not end at a silly hour. Also does not Tech have Press Facilities where Sports reporters can send in a report from the game? If it is a rural edition problem this needs to be corrected since attendance at games is more likely to occur the closer you get to Ruston.

Not bashing and just looking for answers.

Further why is not the telecast of the game on the ESPN radio affiliate mentioned in the "Whats on Today's Radio and TV section"

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Re: Sometimes I just Don't Understand the Shreveport Times

There was just a blurb in the City Edition. As for the radio, you can't pick the station up in Shreveport so it's not important.

Champ aubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the earsaubunique seems to have something between the ears aubunique's Avatar

Todd Slams Door In Hogs
    JUCO TRANSFER SHINES IN ARKANSAS DEBUT
    This article was published on Friday, February 2, 2007 10:32 PM CST in Razorback Central
    By Vernon Tarver
    The Morning News
    Email this story

Print this story

Comment on this story
    RUSTON, La. -- Jess Todd has heard all the hype. He knows what Arkansas Razorback fans expect. As a junior college all-American entering his first year in Fayetteville, Todd figured he would be counted on in a big way.

Carrying that heavy load, Todd began the 2007 baseball season as Arkansas' closer, just as confident as ever and ready to prove he was worth all the talk.

So what did he do his first time on the mound Friday in the Diamond Hogs' season opener at Louisiana Tech?

Pretty much everything that was expected, except for that near-balk on the very-first pitch.

In front of a crowd of 3,154 at J.C. Love Field -- the second-best attended baseball game in Louisiana Tech history despite a bitterly cold night dipping in the low 30s -- Todd was clearly the most impressive part of a somewhat unimpressive Arkansas team, as he used a nasty 87-mile per hour slider and an overpowering fastball to work past the Bulldogs in the eighth and ninth innings to preserve a season-opening, 4-2 win for the Razorbacks.

"(Jess) did a tremendous job for us," Arkansas coach Dave Van Horn said. "Obviously with the way we were swinging the bats tonight, we knew that runs were really going to be few and far between.

"Once we got to the seventh inning with a one-run lead we were really just trying to get to the ninth (to Todd)."

Limited to two hits through eight innings -- both off the bat of freshman Sean Jones -- the Razorbacks (1-0) relied on strong relief work, plus a late-inning Jake Dugger home run, to squeeze out the win.

Todd was called on to seal the deal and he was drawing oohs and aahs right from the start.

But the solid effort nearly blew up in Todd's face.

With runners on first and second and two outs in the bottom of the eighth inning, Todd -- a former Navarro (Texas) College standout -- was called on to put out the fire. And he appeared ready to do just that, except for one thing.

The right-handed pitcher stepped on the rubber, ready to deliver his first pitch and forgot about the runners as he set to deliver a pitch from the windup.

Before Todd's possible costly mistake, shortstop Matt Willard saved his teammate, though, wildly calling timeout before Todd could throw his first pitch.

Call it first-game nerves for Todd. Because after his little blunder, he settled in and mowed down Louisiana Tech catcher Matt Combs in a hurry to end the Bulldogs' rally.

"It was just the atmosphere," Todd said. "This is the biggest crowd I've even been around

"I've never played in front of more than 700 people and I was just excited about it all."

"I'm just glad I got the opportunity," Todd said. "Our pitchers kept us in there and Jake (Dugger) came up with a big home run.

"I'm just glad I got in there."

TODAY'S TICKET

Arkansas at Louisiana Tech

WHEN: 3 p.m., today

WHERE: J.C. Love Field, Ruston, La.

RECORDS: Arkansas 1-0, 0-0; Louisiana Tech 0-1, 0-0

Reader Comments (2)

The following comments are provided by readers and are the sole responsiblity of their authors. The Morning News does not review comments before their publication, nor do we guarantee their accuracy. By publishing a comment here you agree to abide by our comment policy. If you see a comment that violates our policy, please notify the web editor.

FunForJess wrote on February 03, 2007 8:07 AM:"If you're excited about 3,000 in Ruston, Jess, I can hardly wait for you to pitch at Baum. I think you're going to like it."

Interesting wrote on February 03, 2007 8:31 AM:"Hope he can handle the SEC crowds."

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bayourant View Post
    When I say understand that is what I mean. I am not just going to bash them here. I know their Sports writers come by here so perhaps they can enlighten me.

On Friday there was a decent article on the upcoming LSU/ARK game. After enjoying listening to the game last night I was looking forward to seeing this mornings paper. What did I see? Nada. Nothing not even hardly a blurb on the game or a reminder that this game was to continue today. So what do we have. We have a local College playing the number 4 team in the country. An Arkansas team that would have its have its own fans in the areas and are also interested. You also have rabid LSU baseball fans in the area that have a great interest in the team that is picked to win the SEC-West. It would make sense to me that this would be a big deal to put in the paper.

Two possibilities-

THe Shreveport Times is cutting back on sports coverage of local and college baseball.(I noticed nothing for instance on the LSU purple and Gold Scrimmage) . I find this though a least likely possibility because they did mention the start of the GSU and Centenary Season

or

I live in a rural area and I caught an edition of the paper that went out first and the city edition had much more or at least something. I find this a tad hard to believe since the game did not end at a silly hour. Also does not Tech have Press Facilities where Sports reporters can send in a report from the game? If it is a rural edition problem this needs to be corrected since attendance at games is more likely to occur the closer you get to Ruston.

Not bashing and just looking for answers.

Further why is not the telecast of the game on the ESPN radio affiliate mentioned in the "Whats on Today's Radio and TV section"
    You mean TECH/ARK game and not LSU/ARK right??

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE View Post
    uuuughhhhh These lsu guys are driving me crazy........

Varsity Bulldog bayourant has turned a few heads around herebayourant has turned a few heads around herebayourant has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE View Post
    Of course I do. Sorry don't know where you are going with that. I am sorry for the typo but I think its clear where I am going with this I am making a reference to people that might take a interest in reading about last nights game. So yes that includes LSU people that have to play Ark later in conference play. Just making a point of why Tech should be reaping some extra publicity off this. I also mention the Ark fan base that would like to know what is up. My post has little to do with promoting LSU but everything about promoting Tech.

uuuughhhhh These lsu guys are driving me crazy........
    Well I am am someone that follows both Tech and LSU. I make no bones about that. For driving you crazy I am sorry. If you are at the game tomorrow I hope my presence doesnt drive you into madness. Go Tech

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Of course I do. Sorry don't know where you are going with that. I am sorry for the typo but I think its clear where I am going with this I am making a reference to people that might take a interest in reading about last nights game. So yes that includes LSU people that have to play Ark later in conference play. Just making a point of why Tech should be reaping some extra publicity off this. I also mention the Ark fan base that would like to know what is up. My post has little to do with promoting LSU but everything about promoting Tech.
    Yeah... we can tell your post has little to do with promoting LSU.

Every one of your posts has to do with promoting LSU. Are the servers for tigerdroppings.com, ihatenicksaban.com, lesmileswearshishatlikeaman.com, or ididntgraduatefromlsuibarelygraduatedfromjuniorhig h.com down?

Champ dawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud ofdawgtired has much to be proud of

Well I am am someone that follows both Tech and LSU. I make no bones about that. For driving you crazy I am sorry. If you are at the game tomorrow I hope my presence doesnt drive you into madness. Go Tech
    I'm sure you'll be one of the "enlightened" fans that have a Tech shirt on but wearing an LSU cap... geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh!

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I only saw one idiot wearing his lsu gear Sat. Some old fart. It was pretty good to see the wear blue campaign bleeding over to baseball as well.
    Last edited by GonzoDawg; 02-06-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

i read the eldorado news-time and ark democrat gazette, nothing on Tech's win over ark on sunday's edition but when monday came out, theres a small article on Ark beating Tech.

Seems like the newspapers in ark are hiding the razorbacks' lost

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

I know this is not as bad the Times, but I was very disappointed that the News Star felt our victory was worthy of only a page 6 article yet our losses made the front page.

Puppy woopig5 is an unknown

The Arkansas Gazette-Democrat had an article in the Sunday paper (Central & NW Arkansas editions) on page 3 (top fourth of the page) of a 16 page sports section on the La Tech win from Saturday. Here is the reprint:

http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/180820/

Also, here is the article put out by the UA Sports Information office on the win Saturday by Tech, as shown on the UA's sports website:

http://www.hogwired.com/ViewArticle....&ATCLID=784141

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECH88 View Post
    I know this is not as bad the Times, but I was very disappointed that the News Star felt our victory was worthy of only a page 6 article yet our losses made the front page.
    just a heads up as to how this whole process works. most of the time, the space allotted and placement has already been chosen before the game actually begins. now you can adjust for something late-breaking or monumental, but the placement of stories is usually decided pretty early.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Varsity Bulldog dogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the rough dogtrooper's Avatar

the news-star also had fairly extensive coverage of tech baseball on the thursday before the series began (as i recall). a big article on jericho and a few other smaller articles.

+ Reply to Thread