+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Hawaii-Tech Game Thread

Champ DrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the roughDrumDawg is a jewel in the rough

Re: Hawaii-Tech Game Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_Leigh View Post
    was it a white woman with kinda brunette-ish hair with some red in it?? she threw me out last year b/c supposedly i said what the hell are you looking at when in actuality it was Jared!!!! Even the guy I talked to at tech the next day said even if i did say hell that was no reason to kick me out
    It was the one with the pleated high-water pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen_Leigh View Post
    was it a white woman with kinda brunette-ish hair with some red in it?? she threw me out last year b/c supposedly i said what the hell are you looking at when in actuality it was Jared!!!! Even the guy I talked to at tech the next day said even if i did say hell that was no reason to kick me out
    well the WAC handbook says that profanity, racist, sexist or intimidating actions at a coach or ref is grounds for remaoval. maybe she felt hell was a cus word, who kows. but i know that you suck does not fall into one of those four circumstances and i should not have gotten thrown out.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

"you suck" could be seen as profanity. we use it so much that it has lost its edge, but to someone from a different generation (like my mother), "suck" would get at a minimum a long hard stare, and possibly a little pop on the butt. would be interesting to know if "you stink" or "you're a horrible ref" would have received the same reprimand, but i can't imagine anyone at the TAC taking the time to say "you're a horrible ref!"

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    perhaps the ref should come to your job and when you make a mistake shout "you suck" just to remind you that you made a mistake...
    I agree with what you said. I think "suck" is borderline. I disagree with the ejection, but I can see your point that "suck" could technically be grounds for a reprimand (as ridiculous as it would be). However, I hear the above statement a lot with respect to heckling players and refs and I'd like to make a rebuttal.

There are some jobs that are different. You think I shouldn't heckle her because no one heckles me? Then you must also think that I shouldn't even be in attendance simply because my job doesn't have spectators. Do you cheer for our coach and players? How would you like it if someone went to work and was yelling into a megaphone in your cubicle for the competing company? The very nature of being a ref is different and a ref should expect some heckling. Most of the refs I've dealt with have been very good natured about things I've said to them and I appreciate that they don't take it personal. Obviously, she can't handle the game and should seek employment in a career whose nature is more fitting to her psyche.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I couldn't make it there last night but I was told by Big_Dawg that this ref was the same one that kicked him out. She should never be allowed to ref in Ruston. To be honest I wouldn't mind if she was never allowed to ref again.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Since Tech fans are, for the most part, rather gentle, I wonder how many fans are being kicked out of arenas around the nation. Some venues can be real hostile, so I imagine fans are being shown the door by the dozens!

But, I agree with those that say refs need a thick skin. I ref soccer and basketball on occasion and have heard things said about momma, who, bless her heart, is 300 miles away and totally unaware of the "lousy" call I just made!

With the players it's rather easy to keep them under control, I just tell them before a game, I won't comment on your lousy plays if you don't comment on my lousy calls. That usually brings a smile and a "that ref is pretty cool." As for coaches, I understand that in the heat of battle emotions run high. They say things that could draw a "t" in hoops, or a "caution" in soccer, but I just speak to them and they usually calm down. As for the fans? Who cares? They don't matter. I could care less what any of them think or say.

i do agree that refs must have thick skin. i myself have ref'd basketball and umpired softball. i do know what it feels like to have comments yelled at you. i still dont think it is ground to eject a fan from the game unless it has caused some type of fight and people's lifes could be in danger. i will disagree with that ref until the day i die. however, i did receive an email back from Jo at 3:30 this morning letting me know that he regreted me being removed the TAC. he also said that i should rest assure that the matter considering that ref is being discussed at length with WAC officials. he then thanked me for my continued support of Tech Athletics. i must say that i didnt think he would respond but was surprised to see he did and in such a timely manner.

Champ fanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the roughfanfromafar is a jewel in the rough

generally speaking, i agree with you. and i don't think ejection is the first reprimand someone should receive unless the offense is outrageous. you say someone should not be ejected unless they are causing harm or threatening the life of another person. but let's also look at the possibility that a parent may not want their child to hear a fan angrily shouting "you suck" to the ref, demonstrating out of control and inconsiderate behavior...so, is the solution for you to be singled out and told to shut up or find a more creative and less offensive way to express your frustration? the entire TAC should not be at the mercy of your anger...don't you agree? probably not, but it's just another way of looking at it. again, i don't think you should have been thrown out, i'm simply asking you to consider that "you suck" is offensive to many people, not you and not me, but it is offensiv to many, many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I agree with what you said. I think "suck" is borderline. I disagree with the ejection, but I can see your point that "suck" could technically be grounds for a reprimand (as ridiculous as it would be). However, I hear the above statement a lot with respect to heckling players and refs and I'd like to make a rebuttal.

There are some jobs that are different. You think I shouldn't heckle her because no one heckles me? Then you must also think that I shouldn't even be in attendance simply because my job doesn't have spectators. Do you cheer for our coach and players? How would you like it if someone went to work and was yelling into a megaphone in your cubicle for the competing company? The very nature of being a ref is different and a ref should expect some heckling. Most of the refs I've dealt with have been very good natured about things I've said to them and I appreciate that they don't take it personal. Obviously, she can't handle the game and should seek employment in a career whose nature is more fitting to her psyche.
    Wow. You really missed the point. At no point in my post did I say "you" shouldn't heckle the ref. The POINT of this ongoing conversation is the use of "you suck" as an expletive and the ref using that reason to eject a fan. If you read the post, you would see that I was CLEAR in that I thought ejection for "you suck" was not called for, I was simply offering another point of view. And perhaps we can take it one step further and assume that the female ref hears "you suck" and interprets it very differently than perhaps you or I. Who knows what was under her skin? And perhaps you're correct in that she needs to seek another career. I'd offer that any fan who is willing to shout insults should also not take it personally if they are asked to shut up or removed. It works both ways.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
    i realize the opinion i'm about to state will be unpopular, but before it is expressed, let me first tell you that i agree the officiating was terrible. BUT, have you ever stopped to think that maybe, just MAYBE, it is inappropriate for you to shout to a ref that she "sucks"? even if her calls are terrible?
    perhaps the ref should come to your job and when you make a mistake shout "you suck" just to remind you that you made a mistake...
    i'm all about passionate fans, but although some of us use "suck" and "freakin" in our expressions, many others find offense with such words. i don't, but obviously the ref did. do i think it was justified in you being ejected? absolutely not! but, just trying to put a different perspective on the situation.

and one final thought: regarding "paying her salary", i'd not use that in your letter to the WAC if you want to be taken seriously.

Just now getting around to reading this, but my disagreement with this statement is that when I took my jobs in the past, the possibility of someone telling me I suck was nil and I knew that. On the flip side, if I were to take a job officiating, I would know without a doubt, as I'm sure these people do when they sign on, that people will take exceptions to your calling and tell you much worst than this.

+ Reply to Thread