+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grammys

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Grammys

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    Well damn, forgive me for thinking the Grammys, a musical awards show should be more about music than politics. I guess I just didnt get the memo . . .

and as far as me feeling differently if it was a conservative message, that would be very much incorrect sir. But I couldn't expect much different coming from who its coming from. It seems to be the standard answer.
    I fully support you being able to have your opinion about me. Won't stop me from posting it.

The Grammy's were not set up as a popularity contest. It was set up as an award to recognize creative and innovative music as an art form. However, it morphed into popularity very quickly.

Not all people that win Grammys have the most popular music.

Anyway, like I stated, the market will dictate where this group goes from here. As for awards (any of them), they will always have some controversial picks.

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

I back up champ when he says you'd feel differently if it was a conservative message. I mean, Clinton was impeached because he lied, right? How many times has Bush been caught lying? Oh, but it's ok because we're at war and this is necessary lying, because these are freedom-lies that had to be told otherwise we wouldnt have known the truth (which was actually a lie) about Iraq. Pretty much everything Democrats did during Clinton's reign that caused Republicans get all upset has been completely overlooked in the last 7 years by those same Republicans when similar events have occurred. Except now when Democrats complain about those events, theyre labeled as "whiny pussies." How quickly yall forget that just a decade ago, yall were the whiny pussies. Except then it was ok for some reason.

Anyways, back to the Grammys, I always expect not to like whoever wins because popular music just seems unoriginal and commercial to me. Thats just how my taste in music is. It has nothing to do with my political views, because I dont like the Dixie Chicks either. At least Ok Go won something.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

So did anyone like the Dixie Chicks before they exercised their freedom of speech? Was it the appropriate time/place to make their comments? Probably not, but it is still their right. No one seemed to give a crap that Kanye West said that George W Bush hates black people after Hurricane Katrina. Did he still win awards and sell albulms...yes.

I am pretty sure they won grammy's before that ever happened so it should be no surprise that they won again. The grammy's are about talent not popularity, airplay, or record sales. John Legend was nominated for serveral awards last year, and maybe this year (I didn't get to watch them this year). I couldn't tell you anything he sings becasue I don't listen to his genre. The reason you haven't heard any other songs is because radio refuses to play them. Do they refuse to play other artists who have spoken out against the Bush administration? Not that I have noticed. If I hear "Golddigger" one more time, I might scream.

The problem is that they are country musicians. Toby Keith who added fuel to the fire is a registered Democrat so he was playing to his demographics. Smart move on his part.

Varsity Bulldog 10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here10cDawg has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    I may never watch another one, EVER.

Dixie Chicks: country song of the year, country album of year and overall album of the year. Can anyone name any song from the CD other than "not ready to make nice" ?
    Taking the Long Way, Easy Silence, Lubbock or Leave It, Baby Hold On...I Like It, I Hope

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    So did anyone like the Dixie Chicks before they exercised their freedom of speech? Was it the appropriate time/place to make their comments? Probably not, but it is still their right. No one seemed to give a crap that Kanye West said that George W Bush hates black people after Hurricane Katrina. Did he still win awards and sell albulms...yes.

I am pretty sure they won grammy's before that ever happened so it should be no surprise that they won again. The grammy's are about talent not popularity, airplay, or record sales. John Legend was nominated for serveral awards last year, and maybe this year (I didn't get to watch them this year). I couldn't tell you anything he sings becasue I don't listen to his genre. The reason you haven't heard any other songs is because radio refuses to play them. Do they refuse to play other artists who have spoken out against the Bush administration? Not that I have noticed. If I hear "Golddigger" one more time, I might scream.

The problem is that they are country musicians. Toby Keith who added fuel to the fire is a registered Democrat so he was playing to his demographics. Smart move on his part.
    The Dixie Chicks can say what they want to say, i dont care. What drove me mad was when their lead singer gets on TV and starts crying, sniveling saying people arent nice to us, blah, blah, blah. Well, politics isnt a nice game and people arent nice. If you didnt want to go there, you shouldnt have is all I am saying. If you want to make political statements, you better be ready for the backlash. I have never heard Kayne West or Bono get on TV and cry about people not being nice to them. Of course, their views are generally shared by their fans, although I dont agree with Bono on many issues, but U2 still rocks.

I just find the Dixie Chicks grammy's fairly convenient, IMO. More about politics and less about talent, although the Dixie Chicks are very talented. I can honestly say I have never bought any of their CDs, but their music was okay. I havent heard any of their new stuff to make a judgement on it.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

How many CMAs did they win? Or did their peers not recognize their music because it wasn't that good. Grammys are a bunch of liberal tree hugging let me use my fame to spout off trash.

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    The Dixie Chicks can say what they want to say, i dont care. What drove me mad was when their lead singer gets on TV and starts crying, sniveling saying people arent nice to us, blah, blah, blah. Well, politics isnt a nice game and people arent nice. If you didnt want to go there, you shouldnt have is all I am saying. If you want to make political statements, you better be ready for the backlash. I have never heard Kayne West or Bono get on TV and cry about people not being nice to them. Of course, their views are generally shared by their fans, although I dont agree with Bono on many issues, but U2 still rocks.

I just find the Dixie Chicks grammy's fairly convenient, IMO. More about politics and less about talent, although the Dixie Chicks are very talented. I can honestly say I have never bought any of their CDs, but their music was okay. I havent heard any of their new stuff to make a judgement on it.
    My point is that a lot of people who disagreed with them but loved them prior to their statement suddenly didn't like their music anymore. What's up with that? I disagree with a lot of thing that celebrities do/say but 9 times out of 10 it wouldn't stop me from listening to their music, watching their tv shows, watching their movies, etc. If you didn't like them before they said what they thought about Bush thats fine, but I think that not liking someone for what they believe is stupid, again IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    How many CMAs did they win? Or did their peers not recognize their music because it wasn't that good. Grammys are a bunch of liberal tree hugging let me use my fame to spout off trash.
    Have you listened to their new cd? Have you ever listened to them? The CMA's play to what is popular. So they wouldn't want to look like they were supporting something unAmerican. Look where it got the Dixie Chicks. Should they have made their comments at time they did it? Again, probably not, but that doesn't make their music bad. How many CMA's did they win for Wide Open Spaces, Fly, or Home? I don't know because I don't judge what I listen too based on what someone tells me is good. I have never gotten into awards anyway. No one ever really remembers them. I listen to everything from country, bluegrass, hip hop, rock, alternative, just to name a few. I couldn't tell a single award any of them have won. I don't know too many people who remember these awards in a couple of months anyway.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

OR was the reason they didn't win any CMA's because they spoke their mind. Maybe, the CMA's are the ones that are being political and not the Grammy's. All depends on what side of the aisle you are on, probably.

They have been ignored by Country music radio channels for a while now. Punishment.

Like I have stated over and over. They will continue singing and selling records, if people like their music. If they don't, they won't. The market will dictate the answer, right Republicans?

Bulldog dawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the earsdawgette seems to have something between the ears dawgette's Avatar

if i was a country music artist, i wouldn't want to win a cma. country music is in a horrible place right now. any genre that would allow someone to duplicate hinders horrible "lips of an angel" should be cursed. country music has absolutely no imagination or creativity for itself, for the most part. i stopped listening to it a long time ago. all it is is rock wannabe now. and bad rock wannabe at that.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgette View Post
    if i was a country music artist, i wouldn't want to win a cma. country music is in a horrible place right now. any genre that would allow someone to duplicate hinders horrible "lips of an angel" should be cursed. country music has absolutely no imagination or creativity for itself, for the most part. i stopped listening to it a long time ago. all it is is rock wannabe now. and bad rock wannabe at that.
    dawgette, the true country music artists share your opinion.

I can't speak for the Oscars, but as far as music goes, the commercialized award shows such as the Grammys and the CMAs, etc...are a mere back scratching ceremony. Whoever is kissing the most rear at the time gets the awards. It doesn't go by number of singles/albums sold or airplay. I know that for a fact from someone in the music industry.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 10cDawg View Post
    Taking the Long Way, Easy Silence, Lubbock or Leave It, Baby Hold On...I Like It, I Hope
    No fair looking at your CD
    Last edited by Choudawg86; 02-12-2007 at 07:10 PM.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Its a proven fact that the DC's were indirectly responsible for some of the global warming. The Temp of the atmosphere rose 0.000000001th of a degree when everyone started burning their DC cds and merchandise. Did Al Gore mention that in his fictional film? Hell no he didn't.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I was a little annoyed at first because they clearly got the awards for everything other than the music. I happened to walk by when my wife was watching the view this morning and the pretty one was trying to say it was about the music and the rest just sort of laughed at her. Of course it was about their story (or the way it is seen - which is another story, Rosie said something along the lines of "they'd been blackballed and courageously overcome it" which I disagree with. They said some things, which is ok, their audience disagreed and protested, which is ok, and some idiots sent them death threats, which is not ok. It isn't like the big mean government threw them in prison for what they said, this was never a freedom of speech issue).
    So, anyway, I was kind of annoyed since they didn't win "best album" based on actually having the best album. Then I considered the source.
    The voters vote for all kinds of reasons other than "is it the best album." Lifetime achievement type thinking happens all the time, regardless of whether the album in question is really the "best" in any given year (whatever "best" means). Look at Santana, or Steely Dan, or Tony Bennet. Now I'm sure some voters voted for these because they really thought they were the best, but I bet plenty of them just figured it was time they won - so they voted for them.
    My point is that this isn't anything that new or worth getting upset about.
    Last edited by inudesu; 03-02-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    dawgette, the true country music artists share your opinion.

I can't speak for the Oscars, but as far as music goes, the commercialized award shows such as the Grammys and the CMAs, etc...are a mere back scratching ceremony. Whoever is kissing the most rear at the time gets the awards. It doesn't go by number of singles/albums sold or airplay. I know that for a fact from someone in the music industry.

It is true. The Grammys are irrelevant. This article highlights some of their most profound bloopers: http://music.msn.com/music/grammys/goofs?GT1=9076

You have to be a member of NARAS to vote and music has become so decentralized that the Grammys are even more useless (if that is possible).

+ Reply to Thread