+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Grammys

Champ Dawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the roughDawgbitten is a jewel in the rough Dawgbitten's Avatar

Re: Grammys

I never cared much for the DC, but since they have had the balls and not offer some crying apology to get back in good graces with their redneck market, I like it. they have thrown up a big ol FU FINGER and I dig that s**t. rebellion. that's good music.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Actually, they DON'T. Let them try to criticize certain foreign countries they're in at the time and see what happens. Contrary to what you believe, you don't get to act how you want in another country and claim your USofA rights to get away with it.
    There are certainly laws that you have to abide by in other countries. They did nothing to break those laws. That was my point. They were within their rights to say what they did anywhere in the world.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

Got no problem with them saying what they said but I also don't have a problem with them getting the cold shoulder for what they said. You have the right to free speech but you have to deal with what you say. Bottom line they won awards because the Hollywood/Music crowd is very liberal and gave them the awards just to tweak the right wingers. This is the reason award shows suck ass. There is no integrity in using politics to decide who receives accolades. The music industry is in a bad way right now and they need to let politics take care of itself and give us some good old ass kickin rock and roll.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    Got no problem with them saying what they said but I also don't have a problem with them getting the cold shoulder for what they said. You have the right to free speech but you have to deal with what you say. Bottom line they won awards because the Hollywood/Music crowd is very liberal and gave them the awards just to tweak the right wingers. This is the reason award shows suck ass. There is no integrity in using politics to decide who receives accolades. The music industry is in a bad way right now and they need to let politics take care of itself and give us some good old ass kickin rock and roll.
    I, actually, agree with SOME of what you state. You have to take responsibility for what you state and deal with the consequences. The CMA's seemed to have done the EXACT SAME THING that the Grammy's did in reverse. Have you listened to the album? Maybe it was worthy of the awards it received. It isn't a popularity contest. If it was worthy, then the CMA's are, actually, the one that played the political card.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I, actually, agree with SOME of what you state. You have to take responsibility for what you state and deal with the consequences. The CMA's seemed to have done the EXACT SAME THING that the Grammy's did in reverse. Have you listened to the album? Maybe it was worthy of the awards it received. It isn't a popularity contest. If it was worthy, then the CMA's are, actually, the one that played the political card.
    I've heard them sing a little. They are good. I haven't heard this album, though. Don't know how good it it. Don't know if it was worthy of the awards. I will say this, though. I know from a music insider that these awards are a popularity contest and that very rarely will the most deserving artist win. In fact, I saw an interview with someone who won an award, and they stated that the award was special because of the fact the music industry people were the ones who voted for it and it show how they are appreciated and respected by their peers and those in the industry. That's paraphrased, but pretty darn close. As far as the Dixie Chicks, I can care less what they say about the President or anyone else for that matter. Goodness knows as much diarhea of the mouth that I've got, the last think I'll do is fault someone else for the same thing regardless of where they said it. I just know that these awards aren't a representation of popular (public) opinion.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I wasn't a fan before and I'm not a fan now. Was this album so much better than all of their others? I not that much in to country music, but I was wondering when the last time a country act swept the grammys? I can't remember any country act receiving so many accolades from the music industry ever. You are right about the CMA's, I'm pretty sure if they had given the DC's a bunch of awards they would find themselves as popular as well, the DC's.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I wasn't a fan before and I'm not a fan now. Was this album so much better than all of their others? I not that much in to country music, but I was wondering when the last time a country act swept the grammys? I can't remember any country act receiving so many accolades from the music industry ever. You are right about the CMA's, I'm pretty sure if they had given the DC's a bunch of awards they would find themselves as popular as well, the DC's.
    I have never heard the album. I don't listen to much country at all. In all of this, I have never stated that they "deserved" it. I have seen plenty of music at these awards shows that I have never listened to. I am just stating that if you are going to state that the award was purely political, you have to be willing to see the flip side of that.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Country music makes me feel nauseous. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Country music makes me feel nauseous. Just my opinion.
    Pretty much the same with me. I have caught myself listening to it on long road trips, when I can't get NPR and there is nothing else on. It makes me laugh sometimes at how over the top it really is. I would swear that some of those songs are not real, but are just making fun of country music.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

It always seemed like the kind of music you would listen to in order to get in the mood to sleep with your cousin.... [ducks]

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

You two haven't listened to really good country music. Lyrically, there are some really good songs out there. Of course, knowing several of the top writers like I do, I guess I could be a little biased, however, I'm not really much of a country music fan either. There are some really good songs that don't make it commercially because, well, for the same reason some really good songs in other genres don't make it either.
    Last edited by Dirtydawg; 02-23-2007 at 08:53 AM.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

The Dixie Chicks dont even refer to themselves as country artists anymore, so how can they even be eligible for the CMAs or any country music award in general?

Anyway, I like some country music of today, but it isnt as good as stuff from a decade ago and before. This seems to be a theme in music as a whole. Music keeps getting worse and worse.

You two haven't listened to really good country music. Lyrically, there are some really good songs out there. Of course, knowing several of the top writers like I do, I guess I could be a little biased, however, I'm not really much of a country music fan either. There are some really good songs that don't make it commercially because, well, for the same reason some really good songs in the genres don't make it either.
    Hmmmmmm...... You mean you can have some excellent music that is not popular? :icon_wink:

Hmmmmmm...... You mean you can have some excellent music that is not popular? :icon_wink:
    Never said you couldn't. In fact, if you read an earlier post, you'll see where I said I thought the DC were good artists. It doesn't change the fact that the Grammys are about popularity and not commercially successful albums as the general public thinks.

Never said you couldn't. In fact, if you read an earlier post, you'll see where I said I thought the DC were good artists. It doesn't change the fact that the Grammys are about popularity and not commercially successful albums as the general public thinks.
    Yes, we agree with that point. Most awards shows are exactly that. They do not go by commercial appeal, but by what they consider "art" (which is usually just popularity among the group judging).

That is the reason that Spielburg was ignored for so long for an Oscar. His shows were immensely popular by the buying public, but not so much among his peers.

When the word "popular" is used in the above context, it is confusing. Popular in the way you are using it is among the artist's peers or the judges. The other popularity that has been used in this is from the buying public. We agree that most award shows don't go by the popularity of the buying public or "commercial appeal", as you stated.

However, to say that the DC did not deserve a Grammy based on saying something that many people in the country music industry disagreed with doesn't hold water.

+ Reply to Thread