+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anti-Prohibition/Favorite Beer Thread

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Anti-Prohibition/Favorite Beer Thread

Okay, so I couldn't find a better place to start this thread. It seems like it might fit under Entertainment, but beer is more than Entertainment. People who would like to bring back prohibition (comeon I know there are some MADD supporters out there) are welcome to post their comments on this thread as well.

Here are my favorite "accessible" beers:

Favorite domestic beer(s):
    Flying Dog: Snake Dog IPA
    Abita Turbodog
    Liberty Ale (from Anchor Brewing)
    Dogfish Head: 120 minute IPA

Favorite foreign beer(s):
    Fuller's ESB
    Fuller's London Porter
    Smithwick's
    Warsteiner
    Chimay (blue)
    Guinness Draught

What do you guys/gals like?

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Re: Anti-Prohibition/Favorite Beer Thread

After 4 years in the fraternity and drinking the cheapest, most abundant beer around, I have found that unless it is free and being offered I stick with the heacier beers.

Domestic
    Sam Adams, almost anything they put out except Cherry Wheat
    Abita Brand
    Shiner Bock Brand

Imports
    St Paulie's Girl
    Warstiener

I would love to have a "Beers of the World" type store in Ruston or Monroe.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

^ Sam Adams is a staple since even the crappiest bars usually have it. You mean a beer of the world type bar like The Chimes in BR?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Obermeyer's Bavarian Tavern in Metairie was known (probably still is) for its beer selection. Probably, 200 different beers, maybe more! Amstel Light became a favorite of mine, but I always tried other beers too. Beers from Japan, Thailand, Korea and of course, from Germany, Belgium, and Mexican beers also. Some I liked, some, well, I washed down with an Amstel chaser.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Obermeyer's Bavarian Tavern in Metairie was known (probably still is) for its beer selection. Probably, 200 different beers, maybe more! Amstel Light became a favorite of mine, but I always tried other beers too. Beers from Japan, Thailand, Korea and of course, from Germany, Belgium, and Mexican beers also. Some I liked, some, well, I washed down with an Amstel chaser.
    Zea's Rotissery and Brewery (Clearview mall) had some really tasty microbrews. Do you know if it is operational again? I miss washing down their Thai ribs with their lager.

New Orleans had plenty of good beer pubs.

I guess the domestic light drinkers are not posting on this thread for fear of persecution. I will say this about domestic light beers - it is easy to drink large quantities of it. The heavy beers are pretty filling. I know there are some fans of beers with the word "ice" in its name on this board. It was a regular when I was at Tech. Where are you guys?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17188361/site/newsweek/

Interesting article on "Vintage" beers. Made me very thirsty. Don't read this today if you are currently in Ruston because it will make you want to run to the store and pick up some beer. Unfortunately for you, today is Sunday. Haha.
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 02-18-2007 at 10:22 AM. Reason: typo

Big Dog DCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really niceDCDAWG is just really nice DCDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Okay, so I couldn't find a better place to start this thread. It seems like it might fit under Entertainment, but beer is more than Entertainment. People who would like to bring back prohibition (comeon I know there are some MADD supporters out there) are welcome to post their comments on this thread as well.

Here are my favorite "accessible" beers:

Favorite domestic beer(s):
    Flying Dog: Snake Dog IPA
    Abita Turbodog
    Liberty Ale (from Anchor Brewing)
    Dogfish Head: 120 minute IPA

Favorite foreign beer(s):
    Fuller's ESB
    Fuller's London Porter
    Smithwick's
    Warsteiner
    Chimay (blue)
    Guinness Draught

What do you guys/gals like?
    That's a pretty impressive list, Guisslapp. It will also run up a pretty high tab. How about a list of reasonably priced favorites? Topping my list would be Yuengling Black & Tan. BTW, how do you get Dogfish Head in Florida?
    Of course, there are some on here that will tell you I am a conservative lemming without a mind or compass -- CARTEK

You can get all of those (plus a bunch of other Dogfish Head varieties) at our local "Market Square" liquor store. The Snake Dog and the Liberty Ale are around 8-9 bucks for a six pack down here (not cheap, but not near the cost of a 120 minute IPA or Chimay). I will go with a Sam Adams or a Sierra Nevada unfiltered Wheat if I am looking to save a dollar on a six pack. Around here at the bar, your options are usually something like:
    Buds, Millers, Coors, etc - $3
    Sam Adams - $3.50
    The best beer they have at the bar - $4

I usually pay the extra 50 cents or dollar

Champ daybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedaybreaker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time daybreaker2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Zea's Rotissery and Brewery (Clearview mall) had some really tasty microbrews. Do you know if it is operational again? I miss washing down their Thai ribs with their lager.

New Orleans had plenty of good beer pubs.
    Yeah, Zea's is open and brewing again.

My favorties:

Abita Turbodog
    Abita Amber
    Any other Abita
    Guinness + Bass (Black & Tan)
    Red Stripe
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Sam Adams

and then Sapporo with sushi.

Also, in Mexico City at the SantaFe Brewing Company, they have a dark beer called Luna Llena (Full Moon) thats pretty good.
    "To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

I wonder how much tax revenue Ruston loses to Grambling on liquor alone. Ohhh yeah we are keeping all those bad drinkers out of our precious town!!!! Darn, they drove back the one mile. I also wonder how much additional revenue Tech loses by not having beer at the games.

I was shocked and amazed that UNT had free beer.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

Guisslapp...if you want to find a bar with a huge beer selection in Tallahassee, check out the Leon Pub. it is a hole in the wall on 7th St, right off North Monroe. I have not been back there since I left Tally 4 years ago, but it used to have around 150 beers on tap.

I don't know how long you have been in Tally, but I can give you my opinion on most of the bars there (or at least what they were like before I left).

but as for my favorite beers out there...Redhook Brewery has an IPA. you can most likely pick it up at Publix. good stuff.

if you are ever down in Ft Lauderdale or Pompano, I know of a good bar with some really good beers. their selection changes daily which keeps it fun. always great imports or microbrews. It is called Brother Tuckers on Atlantic Ave near the beach if you are ever down here.

Quote Originally Posted by GrassyNoleHitman View Post
    Guisslapp...if you want to find a bar with a huge beer selection in Tallahassee, check out the Leon Pub. it is a hole in the wall on 7th St, right off North Monroe. I have not been back there since I left Tally 4 years ago, but it used to have around 150 beers on tap.
    I have been to the Leon Pub quite a few times. They do have the best selection in town - and they have Fuller's ESB on the hand tap. I have never counted how many beers they have on top, but the beer list is quite extensive.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daybreaker2 View Post
    Yeah, Zea's is open and brewing again.

My favorties:

Abita Turbodog
    Abita Amber
    Any other Abita
    Guinness + Bass (Black & Tan)
    Red Stripe
    Newcastle Brown Ale
    Sam Adams

and then Sapporo with sushi.

Also, in Mexico City at the SantaFe Brewing Company, they have a dark beer called Luna Llena (Full Moon) thats pretty good.
    I was just in Clearview Mall recently. Went to see a movie, didn't walk the mall. I like the Abita beers. First tried one of those at Mulatte's about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    I was just in Clearview Mall recently. Went to see a movie, didn't walk the mall. I like the Abita beers. First tried one of those at Mulatte's about 20 years ago.
    Anyone that likes beer should stop by the Clearview Mall and try a sampler of their microbrews. An order of the Thai ribs is also highly recommended. It will not disappoint.

I will likely drink a few Abita's tonight when I roll over to Bayou Rouge for their boiled crawfish.

+ Reply to Thread