+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XM-Sirius Merger -

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

XM-Sirius Merger -

What do ya'll think?

Will it pass muster or will Congress deny it?

As an XM subscriber - I would welcome it - mainly for NASCAR (moved to Sirius this year) and a little better college coverage -

Still think XM is the better deal because of baseball and the PGA -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

BleedTechBlue CChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond reputeCChandler has a reputation beyond repute CChandler's Avatar

Re: XM-Sirius Merger -

As a Sirius subscriber, I could care less. We already have all the good stuff anyway. NFL, SEC, NBA, NASCAR, Sports ByLine, etc.

Just more channels for me to wade through towards getting to the good stuff.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Luminaire View Post
    As a Sirius subscriber, I could care less. We already have all the good stuff anyway. NFL, SEC, NBA, NASCAR, Sports ByLine, etc.

Just more channels for me to wade through towards getting to the good stuff.
    Better hope it goes through, I don't think neither can survive much longer bleeding red like they are -

The NFL & Sern for Sirius were major busts, that's why they jumped on NASCAR - XM now has the cash flow to get the merger/buyout - because they are pushing 8 million ins subscribers -

We shall see -

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Better hope it goes through, I don't think neither can survive much longer bleeding red like they are -

The NFL & Sern for Sirius were major busts, that's why they jumped on NASCAR - XM now has the cash flow to get the merger/buyout - because they are pushing 8 million ins subscribers -

We shall see -
    I think you're right about neither of them lasting too much longer on their own. I'm really struggling to see how this merger could pass the antitrust muster. I think they may be able to work with/through the FCC, though.

I'm a Sirius subscriber, too...and I really don't see any programming benefit for me with the merger. Maybe a little bit with baseball. But like you said, I guess the benefit to both subscriber groups is continued survival. The way both companies have been hemorrhaging $$$, though, I don't know if a merger will save them (without passing costs on to the consumer -- and I don't think I'll be willing to pay much more for the service).

It certainly will be interesting to see what happens. A merger would leave a lot of redundant satellites floating up there, too.

Champ weunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud ofweunice has much to be proud of weunice's Avatar

I can't see congress allowing it even though it wouldnt bother me if they did because they are not competing with other satellite radio, they are competing with other things like iPods, pay for music services like iTunes, YMJ, Rhapsody etc, podcasting, videocasting, internet based streaming services for live events -- or even cable, TV and over the air radio.

Its all media and satellite radio is just one choice amongst many.

Quote Originally Posted by weunice View Post
    Its all media and satellite radio is just one choice amongst many.
    And I'm hoping that's how it will pass muster -

Outside of TECH game broadcasts and Fox & Co and NASCAR races on 92.1 FM - I listen to very, very little "terrestrial" radio

Champ TECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really niceTECHAJUN is just really nice TECHAJUN's Avatar

There is serious serious broadcasting folks that say the merger will never pass the muster of monopoly rules...I really don't think it will happen --it is their only out...makes me sick :icon_wink:

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TECHAJUN View Post
    There is serious serious broadcasting folks that say the merger will never pass the muster of monopoly rules...I really don't think it will happen --it is their only out...makes me sick :icon_wink:
    It will pass.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

I certainly hope so. I've been a Sirius subscriber for a couple of years now and wouldn't want to live with out it. There is nothing outside of talk radio on regular broadcast radio that I can stand. I kind of feel about my satelite radio like I do about Directv, I can't understand why everyone doesn't have it.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GonzoDawg View Post
    I certainly hope so. I've been a Sirius subscriber for a couple of years now and wouldn't want to live with out it. There is nothing outside of talk radio on regular broadcast radio that I can stand. I kind of feel about my satelite radio like I do about Directv, I can't understand why everyone doesn't have it.
    You obviously haven't had Directtv in Baton Rouge.

Champ GonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGonzoDawg has a reputation beyond repute GonzoDawg's Avatar

No is there a difference. I've been a subscriber since 1995.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

As XM subscriber, I hope it works out. Word I am hearing (heard this on the radio today) is that there will be some crossover of channels but not all. Sirius and XM use two incompatable systems so there will not be a "merge" unless it is into a third type of receiver. That would create a large amount of headache and cost consumers a lot of $$$. It was speculated that they could greatly increase their chances of approval IF they provided existing subscribers with the receivers to get both channels. It is expected that there will be some elimination of duplicate channels (i.e, you don't need 20 classic rock stations or 15 country stations). I would like access to the NFL games and college sports but am not sure what else Sirius has that I would want.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    As XM subscriber, I hope it works out. Word I am hearing (heard this on the radio today) is that there will be some crossover of channels but not all. Sirius and XM use two incompatable systems so there will not be a "merge" unless it is into a third type of receiver. That would create a large amount of headache and cost consumers a lot of $$$. It was speculated that they could greatly increase their chances of approval IF they provided existing subscribers with the receivers to get both channels. It is expected that there will be some elimination of duplicate channels (i.e, you don't need 20 classic rock stations or 15 country stations). I would like access to the NFL games and college sports but am not sure what else Sirius has that I would want.
    As a former salesperson for Satellite radio, Sirius has (or had at the time) MUCH better Rock stations. XM had the Playboy channel, so I went with XM!!

Didn't hurt that XM signed a deal with me. Since I sell their products, they would send me all the equipment that I needed for my car in exchange for a 1 year contract. The Alpine setup had a retail value of $450. GREAT choice by me.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    As an XM subscriber - I would welcome it - mainly for NASCAR (moved to Sirius this year) and a little better college coverage -

-
    OK Dwayne....... I'm a XM subscriber as well but how do you watch NASCAR with a radio? Sorry, but I find this incredibly amusing. I can't stand watching the stuff on TV much less listening/watching on radio.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Anytime you have a monopoly of something, you can expect to pay more to get less. As an XM subscriber, I'm not too happy about this as I'm expecting channels to get cut and my monthly bill to go up.

+ Reply to Thread