+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ULM/Tech baseball: It's now three times the (rare) fun - News Star

Varsity Bulldog ULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your time ULM_Fan's Avatar

Re: ULM/Tech baseball: It's now three times the (rare) fun - News Star

Quote Originally Posted by turbodawg View Post
    I was - maybe mistakenly - under the impression that UL-Monroe adopted that mascot as sort of a reference to that. (But all their logos seem to be about birds and not planes...)
    You are correct. The Warhawk name was taken from the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk used by Gen. Chennault's air force unit during WWII. We use the hawk as our mascot, because it would pretty much be impossible to use an airplane. Could you imagine having some guy dressed up like an airplane running around the stadium

The hawk mascot's name is "Ace", a reference to a flying ace, and he wears an aviation jacket and goggles.

It sucks that we are no longer the Indians, but I happen to like the new mascot/logo. Its original, it honors a local hero, and it seems to have brought alot of excitement to the campus (alot of people wearing the Warhawk gear).

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

Do you still not feel like answering the comment that we are the oldest Bulldog next to Yale? Maybe from now on when you are proven you are a moron you should act like that big guy at the game and SHUT UP.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ULM_Fan View Post
    You are correct. The Warhawk name was taken from the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk used by Gen. Chennault's air force unit during WWII. We use the hawk as our mascot, because it would pretty much be impossible to use an airplane. Could you imagine having some guy dressed up like an airplane running around the stadium

The hawk mascot's name is "Ace", a reference to a flying ace, and he wears an aviation jacket and goggles.

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/2943/597325xx6.jpg

It sucks that we are no longer the Indians, but I happen to like the new mascot/logo. Its original, it honors a local hero, and it seems to have brought alot of excitement to the campus (alot of people wearing the Warhawk gear).
    Please refer me to your research showing Gen. Chennault ever flying a "Warhawk". P40 yes, but not a Warhawk when he flew it.

Whether it was the Tomahawk, Warhawk, or Kittyhawk, the Curtiss P-40, in all its many variations, was a successful and versatile fighter aircraft during the first half of World War II. The shark-mouthed Tomahawks that General Claire Chennault led against the Japanese remain among the most popular fighter aircraft of the war. In the Phillipines, Lt. Boyd D. Wagner became the first American ace of World War II while flying a P-40E when he shot down six Japanese aircraft during mid-December 1941. P-40s were first-line Army Air Corps fighters at the start of the war but they soon gave way to more advanced designs such as the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt and the Lockheed P-38 Lightening (see NASM collection for both aircraft). The P-40 is not ranked among the best overall fighters of the war but it was a rugged, effective design available in large numbers early in the war when America and her allies urgently required them. The P-40 remained in production from 1939 to the end of 1944 and a total of 13, 737 were built.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    It's my understanding that ours is the oldest in DIA with the exception of Yale, can someone verify that? Of course, a ULM fan talking about someone else's mascot not being original does not impress me. How many Indians teams are there?

I will give you some credit though. The fact that you can read means you must be at the top of your class over there.
    Oldest West of the Mississippi
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Dang straight!

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Gen. Chennault's air force unit during WWII.
    Again a superior education pays off. Chennault was in the Army Air Corps not the Air Force
    Last edited by rabiddawg; 02-27-2007 at 09:10 AM.

Puppy Paw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Please refer me to your research showing Gen. Chennault ever flying a "Warhawk". P40 yes, but not a Warhawk when he flew it.

Whether it was the Tomahawk, Warhawk, or Kittyhawk, the Curtiss P-40, in all its many variations, was a successful and versatile fighter aircraft during the first half of World War II. The shark-mouthed Tomahawks that General Claire Chennault led against the Japanese remain among the most popular fighter aircraft of the war. In the Phillipines, Lt. Boyd D. Wagner became the first American ace of World War II while flying a P-40E when he shot down six Japanese aircraft during mid-December 1941. P-40s were first-line Army Air Corps fighters at the start of the war but they soon gave way to more advanced designs such as the Republic P-47 Thunderbolt and the Lockheed P-38 Lightening (see NASM collection for both aircraft). The P-40 is not ranked among the best overall fighters of the war but it was a rugged, effective design available in large numbers early in the war when America and her allies urgently required them. The P-40 remained in production from 1939 to the end of 1944 and a total of 13, 737 were built.
    You should do a little more research when trying to refute someone. The Warhawks were the last line of famous "Hawk" airplanes designed by the Curtiss Aircraft. As for the Tomahawks, there is no such aircraft that served in the USAAC since that was the designation given to the P-40's that were sold to the RAF for battle in the European Theater. The shark mouth on the front was NOT a design by Curtiss. That was an insignia of sorts that was painted on by the pilots or ground crew after the planes arrived in China for use by Col. Chennault's volunteer group and they copied it from an Australian group.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Again a supperior education pays off. Chennault was in the Army Ari Corps not the Air Force
    anyone else smell burned chicken?

Puppy Paw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your timePaw Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Dawg View Post
    anyone else smell burned chicken?

I'm all for trash talking, but if your going to knock someone's education, you may want to make sure you aren't misspelling words while doing it.

And Big_Dawg, don't try to ride the coat-tails of something like that.

Big Dog Tech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really niceTech XXIX is just really nice

I am a CHICKENHAWK

Varsity Bulldog ULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeULM_Fan Ultimate jerk and not worth your time ULM_Fan's Avatar

Since you guys love wikipedia so much................

-WIKIPEDIA

"The new nickname honors Maj. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault's Air Force unit from World War II, which utilized the Curtiss P-40 Warhawk in battle, although the logos primarily use bird imagery."

link

And as for the argument that yall claimed the Bulldog name next to Yale…….
    I didn’t say that you guys copied the name from other schools. I merely said that a Bulldog is a VERY generic and unoriginal mascot. I prefer having a mascot that actually has meaning instead of one that is widely used over and over throughout the country (which I have shown).

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

It sucks that we are no longer the Indians, but I happen to like the new mascot/logo.
    You're right. This will be a great mascot for you until another lawsuit and the NCAA deems your mascot is insulting to Looney Tunes.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

Could you imagine having some guy dressed up like an airplane running around the stadium
    I could probably as easily imagine that as I could having some guy dressed up like cartoonish Indian in an inflatable costume running around the stadium. Not big into the sensitivity police-thing, but I think the NCAA got that one right. But, that's just me.

Thanks for the other info, though.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Here are the dates that i could find of when schools adopted Bulldogs. Its amazingly hard to find that information. Of those I couldn't find, the only ones I think would have a chance of adopting the name (because most are NAIA, D-3 where athetics are relatively new, and historically unimportant) before 1901 are The Citadel (but after 1899) and Drake (have played football since 1893)

Alabama A&M University 1912
    Adrian College
    Barton College 1902*
    Bowie State University 1972
    Bryant College 1963
    Butler University 1919
    The Citadel after 1899
    Concordia University 1929
    Cumberland University - not before 1916
    Dean College -Junior College
    DeSales University 1962
    Drake University
    Ferris State University
    Fisk University
    Fresno State University 1921
    Kettering University 1919*
    Knoxville College
    Gonzaga University 1921
    Louisiana Tech University 1901
    McPherson College
    Mississippi State University 1961
    Samford University 1913
    South Carolina State University
    Southwestern Oklahoma State University 1901*
    Springfield College 1929*
    Tennessee Wesleyan College
    Texas Lutheran University
    Tougaloo College
    Truman State University 1915
    Union University NAIA
    Union College
    University of Georgia 1920
    University of Minnesota-Duluth
    The University of Montana-Western
    University of North Carolina-Asheville 1927*
    University of Redlands
    Wilberforce College
    Wingate University
    Yale University 1889

* is the founding date of the school, so obviously they didnt have a mascot before this date

I think its safe to say Yale is the only school in the United States that adopted Bulldogs as their mascot before Tech. If thats not good enough for you, you do the research, I'm tired of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Paw View Post
    I'm all for trash talking, but if your going to knock someone's education, you may want to make sure you aren't misspelling words while doing it.

And Big_Dawg, don't try to ride the coat-tails of something like that.
    nothing in my post was misspelled, and ride the coat-tails of what?

+ Reply to Thread