+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 21293031

Thread: How people get "knowledge"

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Re: How people get "knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    Yes, because knowledge is contextual. When one says water freezes at 0C, they are also implicitly referencing other conditions (such as pressure). Such examples only emphasize the importance of contextualizing knowledge.
    I agree that the knowledge that water freezes at 0C is contextual, but the nominalists are arguing that the fact that water freezes at 0C is entirely distinct from the definition of the entity of water. That we have defined terms (allowing us to come to "logical" conclusions, but that the meaning of that term does not translate into any observed facts of life.

Champ tylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the rough tylerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    No, it would not show us that we are losing ANY energy/matter. We would find that entropy is increasing (so if you like, "usable energy" is decreasing), but we will never reach a point where there is zero usable energy.
    Randerizer,

You follow the teachings of Ayn Rand correct?

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tylerdawg View Post
    Randerizer,

You follow the teachings of Ayn Rand correct?
    I do not follow the teachings of Ayn Rand. I follow my own objective judgements. I see Rand as one who has, in many ways, put an appropriate perspective on a large number of ideas (metaphysics, knowledge, etc.).

I believe I have pointed out a few situations on this board where I do not agree with the conclusions Rand draws on some specific issues.

Why?

Champ tylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the roughtylerdawg is a jewel in the rough tylerdawg's Avatar

I do not follow the teachings of Ayn Rand. I follow my own objective judgements. I see Rand as one who has, in many ways, put an appropriate perspective on a large number of ideas (metaphysics, knowledge, etc.).

I believe I have pointed out a few situations on this board where I do not agree with the conclusions Rand draws on some specific issues.

Why?
    Well you know I am a Bible believing Christian, I was just wondering what you believe in.

We obviously have a difference in opinion of creation vs evolution, I was just wanting to know more about your background.

Do you believe in objectivism? (sp.)

Well you know I am a Bible believing Christian, I was just wondering what you believe in.

We obviously have a difference in opinion of creation vs evolution, I was just wanting to know more about your background.

Do you believe in objectivism? (sp.)
    I believe that all knowledge comes (in some form) from my senses. I know that I exist and that I am conscious. I trust my experience, my knowledge, my ability to reason, and my senses more than I trust anyone else (who incidently, can only get knowledge from their senses).

I believe that all knowledge comes (in some form) from my senses. I know that I exist and that I am conscious. I trust my experience, my knowledge, my ability to reason, and my senses more than I trust anyone else (who incidently, can only get knowledge from their senses).
    A rationalist?

A rationalist?
    I'm not entirely sure what is meant by that term. If rationalism is a term meaning trusting the mind over the senses (plato, descartes, etc.), then no. Everything we know starts with the senses.

If rationalism means what i described earlier, then yes.

+ Reply to Thread