+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How people get "knowledge"

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

How people get "knowledge"

Forgive me for my long-windedness on this one. If you like to think about things you may think it is worth reading this, but if you prefer to read the Paw-litics board passively, you may want to skip right over this thread. For those that do not know much about philosophy this discussion centers around the branch of philosophy commonly known as "epistemology."
    Generally, epistemology is the "science" that studies the nature and means of human knowledge. I started out writing this thing myself and then discovered that other people have already put the effort into explaining various portions of this so I have copied and pasted much of other people's explanation in the interest of efficiency. We have actually skipped right over the step of metaphysics to discuss the current topic - I intend to get to metaphysics soon so everyone will see how everything can work together. Although Randerizer has pointed out this is something out of order - good epistemology is based on good metaphysics, I think there is still some value to discussing the topics in the order they have been addressed.

Short answer to the title of the thread: All knowledge fundamentally comes from sensory perception. Knowledge cannot be intrinsic.

PROOF

Roadmap: the proof relies on two central points (1) knowledge is knowledge of reality, and (2) existence has primacy over consciousness. These two points are irrefutable, as set forth below, because epistemology would otherwise be impossible. Regarding the second point - if thought created reality, no science offering guidance to thought would be applicable; consciousness could assert whatever it wished, and reality would have to obey. Regarding the first point - human knowledge, although based on sensory perception, is conceptual in nature. Human knowledge is not automatic or infallible; it can err, distort, or depart from reality. It can do this through ignorance or evasion. Humans therefore have to learn how to use their minds to distinguish truths from falsehoods.

More to come...
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 02-23-2007 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Two typos

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Re: How people get "knowledge"

I am about to present a lot of material that may take some time to digest, particularly if this is your first time encountering this. I will try to put it out in an orderly fashion, numbering each of the points so that the trail of logic is hopefully a little easier to follow.

1. The senses are necessarily valid.
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 03-20-2007 at 08:06 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Guisslapp,
    When I was teaching Psych, this was a subject that we devoted a lot of time. In fact, I had one test that was totally devoted to this topic. It is interesting stuff, but excuse me if I bow out. Too deep a topic for me to post much and do my work today on my regular job. :icon_wink:

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Guisslapp,
    When I was teaching Psych, this was a subject that we devoted a lot of time. In fact, I had one test that was totally devoted to this topic. It is interesting stuff, but excuse me if I bow out. Too deep a topic for me to post much and do my work today on my regular job. :icon_wink:
    Understandable. If it wasn't for the fact that I have already compiled the "proof" (did over the past two evenings) it would definitely be too much for me to work on today, as well. Obviously the post will be around for a while, so I hope you do come back and share your comments at some time.

For those of you that have already gotten this far down the thread, I have 7 points in total. Some are longer than others.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

want to make sure this stays near the top...

2. Sensory qualities represent what is real.

Everything make sense so far (assuming anyone is really trying to read this stuff today)?

3. All valid concepts derive from "percepts."

Randerizer, where are you at?

4. Concepts are objective.

5. Objectivity is the volitional adherence to reality by the method of logic.
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 03-20-2007 at 08:07 AM.

6. Intrincism is the rejection of objectivity

7. Reason and Reason alone provides all of Man's basis for knowledge. Man cannot rely on emotion.

Thus, Salty, to summarize:

Reason, Science, and Logic are human beings' only reliable guide to truth.
    Last edited by Guisslapp; 03-20-2007 at 08:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread