+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Metaphysical Baby

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: Let's Get Metaphysical Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    My first post shows how it is the only RATIONAL explanation. Yes, reason and logic are the only thing a human consciousness can rely on, so in a way I am advocating a religion of reason and logic.
    As I've said before, I'm not versed in metaphysics, so I don't want to say anything incorrectly. I'm going to do a little research so that I can intelligently respond to your axioms.

It seems to me that you eventually must identify yourself as a skeptic.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Your argument proposes that human logic can answer all questions when we've proven incredibly inept at this.
    No one has proven any superior faculty of cognition to that of reason. There is no reason to believe that any other faculty can provide reliable information to whatever hypothetical questions reason supposedly cannot answer. Feel free to visit the "knowledge" thread where we have been discussing this issue in a little more detail.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

Human emotion - definitely fallible
    Spiritual revelation - this doesn't warrant a new category (see Human emotion)
    Someone else's spiritual revelation - even more unreliable than your own spiritual revelation since you don't know for certain you can trust the other person
    The magic 8 ball - Nope, has been wrong before (even with its noncomittal responses)
    Palm reader/mystic - doesn't warrant a new category (see someone else's spiritual revelation)

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

No one has proven any superior faculty of cognition to that of reason. There is no reason to believe that any other faculty can provide reliable information to whatever hypothetical questions reason supposedly cannot answer. Feel free to visit the "knowledge" thread where we have been discussing this issue in a little more detail.
    I guess where you and I differ is in the falliability of human logic/reason.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

I guess where you and I differ is in the falliability of human logic/reason.
    Fallibility is certainly there, see the "knowledge" thread. But practiced properly, our ability to reason puts us at more than a stab in the dark, which is essentially what all others would be the equivalent of.

But that doesn't exactly answer the metaphysics question, does it?

In the end, are you saying that "a reasonable person would agree that there is no reason for there to be a beginning to existence, but reasonable people are wrong all the time, so God exists?"

^To echo Randerizer - the fallibility (sp?) is at the level of one's VOLITION making the choice to FOCUS. Reason and the senses are reliable.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by randerizer View Post
    Fallibility is certainly there, see the "knowledge" thread. But practiced properly, our ability to reason puts us at more than a stab in the dark, which is essentially what all others would be the equivalent of.

But that doesn't exactly answer the metaphysics question, does it?

In the end, are you saying that "a reasonable person would agree that there is no reason for there to be a beginning to existence, but reasonable people are wrong all the time, so God exists?"
    I would ask what are you stabbing at? Do you just want to be right while you are on Earth through reason? Where does the religion of logic and reason leave you in the end? Pounding your head against the wall as you search for the answer to everything because you cannot know everything?

From what I have read from you and Guisslap is that "God is beyond human logic and reason, so he must not be real". I will give you that he is beyond our reason and logic.

As I've said before, I'm not versed in metaphysics, so I don't want to say anything incorrectly. I'm going to do a little research so that I can intelligently respond to your axioms.

It seems to me that you eventually must identify yourself as a skeptic.
    A true skeptic says truth is unknowable. I say that the concept of truth implies knowledge, and implies a concept that conforms to sensory data. Thus all truths are knowable (since truth implicitly requires someONE who is able to ascertain that a concept conforms to reality). But that is epistemology.

Not a bad idea to become a little more well versed on metaphysics before diving in. This thread needs good discussion.

Champ randerizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the roughranderizer is a jewel in the rough randerizer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    I would ask what are you stabbing at? Do you just want to be right while you are on Earth through reason? Where does the religion of logic and reason leave you in the end? Pounding your head against the wall as you search for the answer to everything because you cannot know everything?

From what I have read from you and Guisslap is that "God is beyond human logic and reason, so he must not be real". I will give you that he is beyond our reason and logic.
    If you accept that, then you at-least accept that it is arbitrary to believe in God, 100 Gods, a gremlin, a talking tree, etc.

And to base any further thoughts/decisions on an arbitrary claim that you hold as absolute truth is far worse than arbitrary.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

If you accept that, then you at-least accept that it is arbitrary to believe in God, 100 Gods, a gremlin, a talking tree, etc.

And to base any further thoughts/decisions on an arbitrary claim that you hold as absolute truth is far worse than arbitrary.
    Why?

Why?
    If he is above our reason and logic, how do you distinguish between the Gremlin that created existence, the one God that created existence, the 5000 Gods that jointly created existence, etc.?

If you abandon reason/logic, how are you going to convince me of the difference?

If he is above our reason and logic, how do you distinguish between the Gremlin that created existence, the one God that created existence, the 5000 Gods that jointly created existence, etc.?

If you abandon reason/logic, how are you going to convince me of the difference?
    What is my penalty for rejecting logic and reason? Because let's get honest, it would be as hard to be completely objective as it would be live a perfect Christian life. Who forgives you of your logic/reason shortcomings? Or does it even matter?

What is my penalty for rejecting logic and reason? Because let's get honest, it would be as hard to be completely objective as it would be live a perfect Christian life. Who forgives you of your logic/reason shortcomings? Or does it even matter?
    No need to get forgiveness for your reason (or any of its supposed shortcomings). The penalty of rejecting logic and reason are (1) living a sub-human lifestyle where you denigrate your mind to serving an irrational and whimsical ideal, (2) potential loss of life and enjoyment from self-sacrifice, (3) never really "knowing" anything, and (4) making wrong decisions that cause you lose "value" because your ethics are predicated on the supernatural. These are just for starters.

No need to get forgiveness for your reason (or any of its supposed shortcomings). The penalty of rejecting logic and reason are (1) living a sub-human lifestyle where you denigrate your mind to serving an irrational and whimsical ideal, (2) potential loss of life and enjoyment from self-sacrifice, (3) never really "knowing" anything, and (4) making wrong decisions that cause you lose "value" because your ethics are predicated on the supernatural. These are just for starters.
    Point 1 is your opinion. My life is way more fulfilling now that I have God in my life, so you can squash point 2. Points 3 and 4 have quotation marks around their main points, so I will just write those off as horse crap and fluff.

So, when you dont reach your ultimate goal of knowing everything through logic and reason, which you wont, there is no punishment or reward? So, why do we care?

My life is way more fulfilling now that I have God in my life, so you can squash point 2.
    Are you suggesting you were practicing a REASON before accepting God, or are you just suggesting that it is easier to live when you can package all unknown questions into a single answer?

It's also easier on the mind to live in a commune, or to be supported by others, so you don't really have to think for yourself. In many cases, it leads one to deny cause/effect, so you can think blanketedly in fuzzy terms like "helping others" or "social welfare."

+ Reply to Thread