+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Hunters?

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Re: Turkey Hunters?

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    Not trying to tease. I see turkeys all the time sitting on the stand. We have been trying to increase the population for the last several years after poaching damn near wiped them out in our woods. Had some guys hunting over bait and taking them with rifles.
    I feel you're pain. We have some land in the Hico area, or as i like to refer to it, Outlaw Land. its amazing there are even a few turkeys in that area given the fact of who hunts in the area. One of the bigger problems we have on our place is that it backs up to some chicken houses and there are TONS of coyotes and other furry animals that love dead chickens and aren't shy about eating a turkey.

The place i started hunting in Juction City last year has a ton of turkeys on it. FYI, the most overlooked secret to successful turkey hunting is, hunt where there are a lot of turkeys.

Other secrets learned over the years are, dont put a 15' wide ditch between you and where the turkeys may come from. Be carefull crossing the old bridge across 5-mile, one might go through the bridge and up to mid thigh in the blink of an eye. That and the pain will ruin a good turkey hunt. When crossing a ditch it is better to get a running start than standing on the edge and trying to jump across. Dont forget about the slipage factor when hitting the other edge, more than likely the ditch will be waist deep, and it was, and it was in the 30's. When driving into the turkey woods, be sure your spare tire is capable of holding air and has air in it. If not that makes a sucky turkey day suckier. The biggest lesson i've learned is, when you hear a gobbler you need to go to that gobbler and give it a shot. Dont think to yourself, "ALRIGHT, i know where he is, i'll bring Maddawg back with me to help me bust him". More than likely, you'll never hear the bastard again.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shreveportdawg View Post
    Not trying to tease. I see turkeys all the time sitting on the stand. We have been trying to increase the population for the last several years after poaching damn near wiped them out in our woods. Had some guys hunting over bait and taking them with rifles.
    The NWTF has a nice cash reward for turning in poachers or illegal hunters.

Champ shreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of lightshreveportdawg is a glorious beacon of light shreveportdawg's Avatar

They were already turned in a few years back, but the damage had been done.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Other secrets learned over the years are, dont put a 15' wide ditch between you and where the turkeys may come from. Be carefull crossing the old bridge across 5-mile, one might go through the bridge and up to mid thigh in the blink of an eye. That and the pain will ruin a good turkey hunt. When crossing a ditch it is better to get a running start than standing on the edge and trying to jump across. Dont forget about the slipage factor when hitting the other edge, more than likely the ditch will be waist deep, and it was, and it was in the 30's. When driving into the turkey woods, be sure your spare tire is capable of holding air and has air in it.

You should have been a journalist like your hero Jimmy Watson. Maybe it helps that I know you, but this gives and excellent visual.

Got a spare? Yep, but...

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Other secrets learned over the years are, dont put a 15' wide ditch between you and where the turkeys may come from. Be carefull crossing the old bridge across 5-mile, one might go through the bridge and up to mid thigh in the blink of an eye. That and the pain will ruin a good turkey hunt. When crossing a ditch it is better to get a running start than standing on the edge and trying to jump across. Dont forget about the slipage factor when hitting the other edge, more than likely the ditch will be waist deep, and it was, and it was in the 30's. When driving into the turkey woods, be sure your spare tire is capable of holding air and has air in it.

You should have been a journalist like your hero Jimmy Watson. Maybe it helps that I know you, but this gives and excellent visual.

Got a spare? Yep, but...
    5a.m. and i'm headed out to "listen". Do you know where you're turkey is Maddawg? I can meet you at waffle house one morning when you head to arcadia :icon_wink:

Wow, you are dedicated!

Early time change will mess up things this year. Flydown time at 7ish on opening weekend.

Wow, you are dedicated!

Early time change will mess up things this year. Flydown time at 7ish on opening weekend.
    you're right, if i go "listen" the next two weeks, i'll have to take at least an hour of vacation to do so.

didnt hear anything this morning, im giving up on Hico I think.

I know Choudawg is counting down the days. Who else? Where?
    heard three more in junction city sat morning. 2 in one place and 1 on another. both were just off of the prop i hunt but WELL within calling range.

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    heard three more in junction city sat morning. 2 in one place and 1 on another. both were just off of the prop i hunt but WELL within calling range.
    I hope I don't have to tell you to stop parking in the area (w/in hearing range). Some of your "hunting buddies" will catch on and try to cut you off. Turkey hunting is a ruthless sport. Some folks have even been know to corn up a competitors hunting area just prior to opening weekend.

I hope I don't have to tell you to stop parking in the area (w/in hearing range). Some of your "hunting buddies" will catch on and try to cut you off. Turkey hunting is a ruthless sport. Some folks have even been know to corn up a competitors hunting area just prior to opening weekend.
    man, hope you and the boy had some success this weekend.

i was up on some property around Sharon that i can hunt on. well, i didnt heare any birds, mainly because if they were there the compressor would have kept me from hearing them very far. what i did find was corn. a guy that has a box stand like 30' north of our north prop line has spread corn north of his stand and to the south on OUR PLACE. So, by him doing this, i cant hunt it. i feel like calling operation game thief and i havent ruled it out im so pissed

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    man, hope you and the boy had some success this weekend.

i was up on some property around Sharon that i can hunt on. well, i didnt heare any birds, mainly because if they were there the compressor would have kept me from hearing them very far. what i did find was corn. a guy that has a box stand like 30' north of our north prop line has spread corn north of his stand and to the south on OUR PLACE. So, by him doing this, i cant hunt it. i feel like calling operation game thief and i havent ruled it out im so pissed

Can't you remove the corn on your place?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Can't you remove the corn on your place?
    not that simple, the law is, you can't hunt withing 200 yards of a baited area. the problem is, "baited area" is very vague and only the game warden knows exactly what he deteremines that "area" to be until he writes you up. Also, you can not hunt in an area that has been baited untill the bait has been removed for 15 days. I might clean whats on my side of the line but his will still be out. I have had hunters tell me that they have had game wardens define an entire block of woods as a baited area. This is the biggest Bullpoop law there is within the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries. Definatly one where an innocent man can pay a hefty price for not covering ever square yard of the property he intends to hunt.

as you can prob tell from below, i had a "run in" last year with an enforcement officer from the state. I swear I thought he was gonna strip search me and look for hidden corn kernnels after everything else i went through.

Chou, we had a great hunt, but didn't kill. I'll have to tell you over the phone or in person. It's quite a story and don't have time to type it all.

Chou, we had a great hunt, but didn't kill. I'll have to tell you over the phone or in person. It's quite a story and don't have time to type it all.
    good deal !!! so he's hooked huh LOL Personally i didnt hear a bird this weekend. gave Corney bottom a shot but it was uneventful. went back to where i had heard the others and heard nothing. The guy whos land i hunt on did tell me that in the area where i got the bird last year, he had recently seen 23 on the highline there. :icon_wink:

For Sale: 870 remington with turkey choke, two turkey decoys one jake and one hen, glass and slate call, box call, turkey vest, owl call and crow call . . .. with the purchase i'll include 4 hours experienc of do's but mosty dont's of turkeh hunting.

+ Reply to Thread