+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ULL game thread

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Re: ULL game thread

They are...they went into the game tonight 8-0.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, 9-0 start for UL.

Just got back from the game. I 'm not a baseball know it all by any stretch, but our team's defense worries me.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

Well, IMO, these boys get too lax when it comes to fundamental defense. Errors will cut our feet out from underneath us everytime. Like someone said earlier, no matter how many HRs you have, errors will come back to haunt you.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Cobb, Rike, Courtney& Goulder....all O-fer. We left 8 on base,6 in scoring position. Three of our walks ended up scoring ( I don't see how coach Sim can say that he thinks we pitched extremely well)Our pitchers recorded 1 strikeout and our bullpen was not able to keep the score at 2-0. It's gonna be a long ride home after losing in the Lafayette beergarden.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Coach Sim said it, now he needs to improve it: it's all about pitching and defense. No team is gonna win nuttin' if you can't pitch and can't play defense.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with dawg80. I told my boss yesterday morning that I did't feel good about this game because good pitching will beat good hitting almost every time. Coach Sim mentioned a wake up call last week but that came against a team we should have beat (nicholls) and nlulm could have been taken lightly because of the season they came off of last year. No excuses in this one because we all know ull has a very good team and some of the best pitching in the country.

Puppy KDawg is an unknown

The News Star had Bascle getting a hit in the 8th but LaTechSports had Patrick Thomas getting a pinch hit single and scoring a run in the 8th. Anyone know?

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I was at the game until through the 7th (had to get back to A-town), and we looked pathetic at the plate. The guy kept us off balance all night. Sim made some questionable calls with runners on, and he didnt bunt them over when the game was tight. I guess he was hoping for the big inning with hudson up, and he knew we would need score at least 4 or 5 to have a chance. Walks are killing us more than anything. That three run homer came after 2 walks, so they had 3 runs on 1 hit that inning. ULL put pressure on us all night. We were lucky that the game was 5-1 and not 12-1. We got beat in every facet of the game.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    The News Star had Bascle getting a hit in the 8th but LaTechSports had Patrick Thomas getting a pinch hit single and scoring a run in the 8th. Anyone know?

From the box score:
    Louisiana Tech 8th - PT pinch hit for Combs. PT singled through the
    right side. Cobb struck out looking. Jericho reached on a fielder's choice; PT
    advanced to second on a fielding error by ss. Rike flied out to lf. Hudson
    singled to right center, RBI; Jericho advanced to third; PT scored

In the last two games, P Thomas pinch hit for a HR and a single. Batting .400 for a pinch hitter is pretty good. I don't know who we'd sit out, but his bat seems hot right now.

Puppy Woods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the earsWoods Dawg seems to have something between the ears

We are not a great team right now. We don't do the little things that good teams do to win close games, we don't move runners up, we can't manufacture runs. Our hitters are striking out to much and our pitchers are walking to many, and we are making to many errors on defense. I still believe that we can surpass last years win total but 40 wins is a stretch unless we improve.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: ULL game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Woods Dawg View Post
    We are not a great team right now. We don't do the little things that good teams do to win close games, we don't move runners up, we can't manufacture runs. Our hitters are striking out to much and our pitchers are walking to many, and we are making to many errors on defense. I still believe that we can surpass last years win total but 40 wins is a stretch unless we improve.
    I agree with everything you said. We are on a pace to commit 99 errors and walk 467 opposing batters ( we're averaging giving up 8 walks/game). With 2 errors & 8 walks per game it's amazing that we have 11 wins. This is a big wake up call if i've ever seen one. In 17 games we have only 5 sacrifice bunts. This puts way too much pressure on our batters to come up with "the big hit".Every player in the batting order should be called on to bunt when it's an obvious bunting situation.Putting pressure on the defense and manufacturing runs is the path to the College World Series.Rike, Jericho,& Hudson are good bunters that rarely get the bunt signal. They play these players "back" on the corners because the scouting report says that they're swinging away in a bunting situation.Waiting for the 3-run homer with 2 on and nobody out is playing into the hands of the opposing pitcher....he keeps the ball down & away and gets the double-play groundout...end of scoring chance. We still have 41 more games to learn how to manufacture runs. I just don't get it.....coach Sim used to be a lot more aggressive and I think he needs to go back to it.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Wow, all these people so upset at Sim and the baseball team! On the bandwagon 2 weeks ago and now about to jump off. Guys, it's a marathon, not a sprint. It's a long season. Have they played well the last few games? No. But some of the people questioning Sim's decisions during the game need to get a clue. Everyone knows what to do or what should've been done after the game has been played. I listened to some guys sitting behind me during the ULM game talking about baseball "strategy". Total morons. If you're gonna question something, at least act like you know what you're talking about. And I guarantee a win tonight.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    Wow, all these people so upset at Sim and the baseball team! On the bandwagon 2 weeks ago and now about to jump off. Guys, it's a marathon, not a sprint. It's a long season. Have they played well the last few games? No. But some of the people questioning Sim's decisions during the game need to get a clue. Everyone knows what to do or what should've been done after the game has been played. I listened to some guys sitting behind me during the ULM game talking about baseball "strategy". Total morons. If you're gonna question something, at least act like you know what you're talking about. And I guarantee a win tonight.

You guarantee a win tonight? That's really putting yourself out there . Of course, remember 2005...

Falcon has a good point. I remember a few situations last year where I thought Sim should bunt, but I knew he would not bunt Jericho, Rike, etc. Strategy is determined by the situation, not by the batter. Last night we needed to move runners and we did not. I'll make the same prediction as you mentechsters--we'll win tonight :icon_wink: .

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I didnt blame Sim for not bunting BHud, I could see him going either way there. Hud actually squared to bunt first pitch, which was a ball. BHud is our most consistent hitter and Sim knew we needed to score at least 4 or 5 to have a chance. He was hoping hud could get a hit and drive in a run and get Courtney up with 0 outs and 2 runners on, down 2-1. That is putting a lot of pressure on BHud, but when you are the senior and most consistent hitter that should be expected. Instead, Hud flied out and didnt advance the runners. Jones then hit into a DP. If Hud would have bunted, we would have scratched one run across assuming they would have conceded the run on the ground ball. I cannot fault Sim for playing for the big inning, especially with your 4 and 5 up to the plate.

I don't feel as if I am second guessing the coach; only calling it like I see it. If this had been a 2-0 or 2-1 game I would be happy. I am not happy watching all the errors in the field. The throwing error by the shortstop. That was a very good play to field the ball and I say not many ss make that throw from so deep and falling away. The first hit of the game looked like my pinto team two years ago; ball bouncing all over the field. He should have gotten a double at best. If the ball hits an outfielders glove he should catch it no matter how far he traveled. Sorry to the team for being so honest.

The points about pitching are correct. The walks are killing us. The games I have been to, it seems that Coach is still searching for guys he can trust in conference play. Maybe more work will settle them in. Fingers crossed.

+ Reply to Thread