+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attendance Mathematics 101

2005 & 2006 Pick 'Em Champion oledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant futureoledawg66 has a brilliant future oledawg66's Avatar

Attendance Mathematics 101

This observation was made at the Lady Techsters NMSU basketball game tonight but may have general application to other sports as well. The BB game tonight was not a very exciting game, and, without the Hoop Troop and the students combined with a very disappointing, sparse crowd, it was not a typical Tech atmosphere. We have discussed actual attendance vs announced attendance at different events many times on the BBB. The thought crossed my mind as to what the announced attendance would be for this important ballgame. Out of curiosity, and boredom, I took a few minutes to count the number of actual fans in the seats. Didn't really take long. I counted 682 people. This of course does not allow for how many may have been in the bathroom or getting nachos, but I don't think there would have been enough to significantly skew the equation. My keen, analytical, Tech trained mind came up with the following conclusion, which I have dubbed "The Actual Attendance Hypothesis":

physical count - 682
    announced attn - 2,027

Therefore, the Equation factor = 2.97

Which yields the following hpothesis:

Physical Count (X) 2.97 = Announced Attendance

Of course, if there were 1,345 people buying popcorn and using the restrooms at any point in time, this hypotheis shall be rendered null and void. If not, it may have universal application .

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Re: Attendance Mathematics 101

I've always wondered something and perhaps someone on here can clarify. Is the "attendance" to a sporting event the number of people who are actually present or is it the number of people who purchased tickets? I think it is possible they sold over 2000 tickets to this game and that many people did not show up, but if that's the case it should be called something else.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I've always wondered something and perhaps someone on here can clarify. Is the "attendance" to a sporting event the number of people who are actually present or is it the number of people who purchased tickets? I think it is possible they sold over 2000 tickets to this game and that many people did not show up, but if that's the case it should be called something else.

both. 600 in attendeance + 1800 tickets sold = 2400 announced

oakes math

Champ OmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud ofOmahaDawg has much to be proud of OmahaDawg's Avatar

Pro sports report "sold" tickets. Colleges have different reporting mechanisms from School to School (from what I have observed).

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Remember - the athletic office keeps season ticket sales for all sports "hush-hush" because they don't want the true number of season tickets out there -

I would bet that season ticket sales for baseball are equal to or maybe more than wbb or men's basketball -

In all sports less than 1,000 people hold EVERY single season ticket -

You can also look at our "ticket revenue" and realize we are not selling a lot tickets to anyone -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Remember - the athletic office keeps season ticket sales for all sports "hush-hush" because they don't want the true number of season tickets out there -

I would bet that season ticket sales for baseball are equal to or maybe more than wbb or men's basketball -

You can also look at our "ticket revenue" and realize we are not selling a lot tickets to anyone -

I thought there was "nothing" for Jimmy to do....guess they've already got that covered, huh?

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

AG,

I'm pretty sure it's both. I also think that the equation takes into account the athletic fee that is paid by every student every quarter. Surely they are not counting all 10K students, but they must be counting some of them. That fee is what enables students to get in for free with their student ID. I'm sure the same is true for football. Just another tool for JOakes to skew the numbers when it's convenient for him.

Champ hookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond reputehookdown has a reputation beyond repute hookdown's Avatar

Does the FOIA apply to something like this?

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I don't know if the Louisiana Open Records law applies to this situation but it seems like it would. If anyone wants the records, there is a website that explains the law and gives a sample letter that can be used. http://www.la-par.org/rightscard.cfm#Records

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by hookdown View Post
    I think it does - however they do not have to hand over the information just because "you asked nicely...."

And I'm not hanging this on the ticket office - I personally think the world of the 3 ladies who work in there -

This is information is controlled soley by the AD's office
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Hawai'i has the best attendance announcement system in the WAC. They always announce tickets distributed and tickets used.

I remember the 1970s and 80s in Denver at the old Mile High Stadium when they'd announce the attendance. The boos from the sellout crowds were blood-curdling when they'd announce the 77 or how many ever no-shows there were for the game.

+ Reply to Thread