+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Chokey Patman gone

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Re: Chokey Patman gone

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Dirty,
    I guess it is all in someone's philosophy of why we have collegiate athletes and programs. It is more than about making money. It is about pride. Wbb will eventually make money. As more and more programs are funded adequately, it will happen. The sport will grow. We need to invest in all of our athletic programs. WBB just happened to be one that rose to the top. Was it investment that did it? Not monetarily. We invested our emotions and we had coaches that were the top in the country and stayed with the program. My thought is that Long will be and do the same thing.

Our wbb program is not dead. It is being rebuilt. It was, actually, more dead last year. We just had Tasha, a Barmore recruit, to carry us a little more. It is starting to come alive now with the recruits we have.

All of you that want to choose between sports are on the wrong track.
    Spoken like a true liberal! We can't afford to fund pride when there are sports that make you money. As others have pointed out in this thread, we can fund some of that with successful money programs. I think most everyone is agreed that we want to have all of our sports be successful. We just don't agree on how to get there.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I, personally, don't think the Techsters are dead. I think, with a good coach, we can be a top 25 team every year. You think Long is that coach. I'm not so sure. We'll have to see.
    I have a Hell of a lot of hope. I will just put it that way. :icon_wink:

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    Spoken like a true liberal! We can't afford to fund pride when there are sports that make you money. As others have pointed out in this thread, we can fund some of that with successful money programs. I think most everyone is agreed that we want to have all of our sports be successful. We just don't agree on how to get there.
    What exactly do you disagree with me about? I am all for pouring the $$$ into football. I am not asking for any more money for the Techsters right now. I think you were so quick with the thought of me being what you describe as "liberal" you didn't listen to what I was stating - just like a conservative.

I think that now is the wrong time to put more money into the Techsters. They have the coaches, facilities, and money that they need. We have done very well on this exact amount of resources in the past. We can do it again. I am stating that it is NOT a choice between programs, like some of you think it is. There is not one small pie that we have to slice up, as Oakes has led most to believe. There is a whole cake out there and with the right Athletic Director, we can dig into it. We need to shoot to be the very best in every single sport.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

What exactly do you disagree with me about? I am all for pouring the $$$ into football. I am not asking for any more money for the Techsters right now. I think you were so quick with the thought of me being what you describe as "liberal" you didn't listen to what I was stating - just like a conservative.

I think that now is the wrong time to put more money into the Techsters. They have the coaches, facilities, and money that they need. We have done very well on this exact amount of resources in the past. We can do it again. I am stating that it is NOT a choice between programs, like some of you think it is. There is not one small pie that we have to slice up, as Oakes has led most to believe. There is a whole cake out there and with the right Athletic Director, we can dig into it. We need to shoot to be the very best in every single sport.
    We agree on this. I don't want the pie to stay small. If we had a real athletic director, I think there would be more money for all of the programs and we would not have to have a small pie for everyone to try to survive on. That is what has been happening around all of Tech's athletic programs. I still don't see them taking advantage of the coaching changes to infuse dollars in the programs. I called wanting to buy 10 season football tickets the day Dooley was hired and nobody has asked me for that money yet! That's pitiful! Better for them to be earning interest on that money than me!

As a conservative, I don't believe we spend money we don't have and want to invest the $$$ where we get a return on that investment in TANGIBLE ways - not just pride!

We agree on this. I don't want the pie to stay small. If we had a real athletic director, I think there would be more money for all of the programs and we would not have to have a small pie for everyone to try to survive on. That is what has been happening around all of Tech's athletic programs. I still don't see them taking advantage of the coaching changes to infuse dollars in the programs. I called wanting to buy 10 season football tickets the day Dooley was hired and nobody has asked me for that money yet! That's pitiful! Better for them to be earning interest on that money than me!
    Totally agree!

Quote Originally Posted by markay714
    As a conservative, I don't believe we spend money we don't have and want to invest the $$$ where we get a return on that investment in TANGIBLE ways - not just pride!
    There are a lot of intangibles besides pride. I just mentioned that one. It doesn't matter, though. If you don't see them, you don't see them. Some people will never see them. I think if the baseball team had 3 NC's and had been to all the college world series but the last one, the comments would be very different - even if the sport was not earning money. It is what it is, though. Not worth the argument for either one of us.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Markay, say it aint so. You are making me agree with champion. Of course we do disagree on one thing. I do not believe that we have the coaches. I hope we do but I am certainly not holding my breath that things will turn around under Long's leadership.

It just doesn't have to be an either or situation.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

A true conservative probably would not want there to be any womens programs. After all they are just a bunch of old boys club Republicans right. Women should be seen not heard and service the football team whenever possible to keep the recruits happy.

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    A true conservative probably would not want there to be any womens programs. After all they are just a bunch of old boys club Republicans right. Women should be seen not heard and service the football team whenever possible to keep the recruits happy.
    Not very perceptive are you. This conservative is quite female. I must say it does seem a bit unfair to have to have an equal number of women's scholarships when there just aren't any other sports programs that require the number of athletes that football does. I am conservative, but it seems to me there ought to be fairness in that with the recognition that football really unevens the number of sports. To me it stinks that LA Tech has women's soccer and tennis and such and not the men's versions because of the catching up aspect for Title IX.

Champ revf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond reputerevf has a reputation beyond repute revf's Avatar

Why is it that conservatives always want to turn any conversation into a liberal v. conservative issue? From the beginning of this thread we were talking about Pokey Chapman being gone, but now we are reduced to arguing over if Tech should fund a women's basketball team. This whole issue is moot at best.

Don't let the LSU people divide us up to arguing over womens sports versus mens sports. Louisiana Tech people should take pride in ALL their sports and want them ALL to succeed and should give ALL of them the tools to do so.

Varsity Bulldog dogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your timedogeatdogworld Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Quote Originally Posted by revf View Post
    Why is it that conservatives always want to turn any conversation into a liberal v. conservative issue? From the beginning of this thread we were talking about Pokey Chapman being gone, but now we are reduced to arguing over if Tech should fund a women's basketball team. This whole issue is moot at best.

Don't let the LSU people divide us up to arguing over womens sports versus mens sports. Louisiana Tech people should take pride in ALL their sports and want them ALL to succeed and should give ALL of them the tools to do so.

Conservatives are very very limited in their thinking. It's what makes them, well, conservative.:icon_wink:

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Show me all the money that the Lady Techsters brought in when they were winning consistently. Show me how they funded our athletic department. The fact is that the Techsters never brought in any money. The only thing that funded our athletic department was a yearly general transfer and body bag games by the football team.
    Quit comparing the Lady Techsters to the football program. That's apples and oranges. Fact is, the Lady Techsters brought in more revenue and had bigger attendance numbers than Tech's MENS basketball program for years. And that's a more fair comparision (even though it really shouldn't be).

I don't know anyone on this board that seriously said "don't fund football or men's basketball", rather we've only said, "keep funding women's basketball too".

The bottom line is, if you want to see Louisiana Tech play big time SEC schools, or Big 12 schools, or other prominent national universities in the TAC, it's probably going to be the Lady Techsters doing it, not the Dunking Dawgs. While the Lady Techsters are playing Tennessee, Georgia, Oklahoma or LSU in the TAC, the Dawgs are playing Henderson St or College of the Ozarks. I don't like it......but that's the way it is.

So.....you just have to decide who's company you want to keep.

HD
    Last edited by HogDawg; 04-10-2007 at 01:01 AM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Congratulations Markay, with a comment like that, you are NOT a fiscal conservative. You are now a Jim Oakes liberal.

A fiscal conservative would say, "I'm not afraid of the costs, I know how to make money....we'll RAISE the damn money. The important thing right now is to have the balls to INVEST in the program". In this case, the Lady Techsters program.

What you stated above is exactly the opposite of what is needed at Louisiana Tech. It's the Jim Oakes method of investing for the weak and timid. For example, Oakes won't INVEST $1,000,000 on a much needed project like a Jumbotron, even though everybody knows it will generate many times that amount in advertising revenue and entertainment value.

Oakes has no vision and won't invest in something unless he already has money in hand. And that's almost identical to what you stated above. Where's your vision?

HD

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Quit comparing the Lady Techsters to the football program. That's apples and oranges. Fact is, the Lady Techsters brought in more revenue and had bigger attendance numbers than Tech's MENS basketball program for years. And that's a more fair comparision (even though it really shouldn't be).

I don't know anyone on this board that seriously said "don't fund football or men's basketball", rather we've only said, "keep funding women's basketball too".

The bottom line is, if you want to see Louisiana Tech play big time SEC schools, or Big 12 schools, or other prominent national universities in the TAC, it's probably going to be the Lady Techsters doing it, not the Dunking Dawgs. While the Lady Techsters are playing Tennessee, Georgia, Oklahoma or LSU in the TAC, the Dawgs are playing Henderson St or College of the Ozarks. I don't like it......but that's the way it is.

So.....you just have to decide who's company you want to keep.

HD
    And that's exactly why we're in the shithole position we're in financially. We didn't give mbb the attention it needed so that it could be a major money generator like it is at every other d1 school. We were too busy elevating a sport that wasn't going to make any money. That's the difference. While wbb made more money than mbb, they both still didn't make any money. However, if mbb had been given the status of wbb, they could have made some money. Wbb was given the tools to play the Tenn., Georgias, Okla, etc...Mbb wasn't. Fund the mbb program sufficiently and you'll see SEC and Big 12 teams in the STAC. Heck, we had Texas Tech this year.

But listen, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not for cutting funding to wbb. I think that would be a mistake. However, I think before anymore funding is given to them, we need to elevate mbb to the level it should be in comparison to other schools our size.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Yep...when our budget percentages get closer to what they should be, the perecentage that we give to WBB will go down, but the total will go up. Nobody is advocating that we stop funding WBB, just that we get our budget in the proper proportions.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Nickles and dimes, folks.... The wbb team was not given adequate funding even at the peak of their performance.

For those of you that want to just concentrate on mbb, go for it. For those of you that want to just concentrate on football, you can do that. For those that just want to concentrate on wbb, there is a place for you, as well. Same for baseball, softball, weight lifting, etc.... Funding for all of these things needs to be increased. None need to be left out. As for priorities, we all have our emotional favorites and we all know the biggest money makers. We need to go forward and grow it all. No need spending your time on a wbb section, telling us that you do not think the funing should be raised. You don't see wbb fans on the baseball section saying that about baseball or any other sport. Just relax and enjoy the great things to come in ALL these areas.

There are some of us that enjoy wbb, football, and mbb. If we somehow understand that they are not competing against each other and we don't have to choose a favorite and be negative about the others, we would REALLY be accomplishing something. Life is too short to be so negative, especially against something that Tech has and is proud of.

+ Reply to Thread