+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bulldogs Best Rockets 11-5 - latechsports.com

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Re: Bulldogs Best Rockets 11-5 - latechsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by littledawg50 View Post
    Agree with almost everything except opposing teams already have a scouting report on Rike from last year, .322 7-8 HR's. The book on Rike was can't hit breaking ball, can't hit lefties. That was last year, this year he's hitting everything, fastballs, change-ups against righties and lefties. For JJ to get back to 2006 production he has to be more patient. Most ab's he gets behind in the count and can't be as aggressive as he should be. The games I've seen most teams pitch him fastball in and breaking ball away. Like I said earlier we're talking about him struggling and he's hitting over .300! Not bad. I've seen him get more fast balls than I would have thought.

Rike hasn't just improved at the plate. He is 9-9 on stolen bases and plays great defense. Sims is even working him in the bullpen. I believe he was clocked at 95 mph before the season started.

Bulldog littledawg50 is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    Rike hasn't just improved at the plate. He is 9-9 on stolen bases and plays great defense. Sims is even working him in the bullpen. I believe he was clocked at 95 mph before the season started.
    No doubt he has improved in all areas. As far as him being clocked at 95, you'r probably referring to some of the conditioning tests run by Symanski(sp?), our strength coach. I don't think he was clocked 95 from the mound but in one of those tests. He has a rocket for a left arm, best I've seen in a long time. The only area I feel he needs to work on is his defense and getting better breaks on the ball. He has enough natural speed to make some incredible plays even if he doesn't get the best break on it. I saw him pitch, was sitting behind a scout with a radar gun and he hit 85-86 but mostly 82-84 which is very impressive for someone who doesn't pitch to just get on the mound and throw. i predict he will be drafted in the 2-3rd round.

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

sim told me a month or two ago that rike had been clocked in the low 90's off the hill. not sure about 95, although seeing him throw from the outfield you would think that's possible. topping out on a good day and consistent velocity are two different stories though. for a guy who has never pitched, mid 80's would probably be right, being that "nonpitchers" usually have to take some off to find the strike zone. regardless, rike has a hose. also, i do know that burnett topped out 95-96 last year at san jose st. just thought i'd throw that in...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    sim told me a month or two ago that rike had been clocked in the low 90's off the hill. not sure about 95, although seeing him throw from the outfield you would think that's possible. topping out on a good day and consistent velocity are two different stories though. for a guy who has never pitched, mid 80's would probably be right, being that "nonpitchers" usually have to take some off to find the strike zone. regardless, rike has a hose. also, i do know that burnett topped out 95-96 last year at san jose st. just thought i'd throw that in...
    From what I've read on this board I assume you were a pitcher. This is second hand info but someone told me that we had a guy that was throwing 88-89 in the 1st inning but dropped to 82-84 in the 2nd inning the other day. I honestly couldn't tell but assuming that is true what would cause a pitcher to lose that much velocity so fast? I understand in the later innings fatigue might set in but losing it that fast is confusing.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris29 View Post
    The 95 was not from the mound as far as I know. It was during the preseason and probably a test the give everyone. I'm not saying his future in the pros is as a pitcher, it would just be fun to see him pitch a little. Brian is a very dedicate athlete and he could excel either way if he puts his mind to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    The 95 was not from the mound as far as I know. It was during the preseason and probably a test the give everyone. I'm not saying his future in the pros is as a pitcher, it would just be fun to see him pitch a little. Brian is a very dedicate athlete and he could excel either way if he puts his mind to it.
    No doubt. I just wish they would have worked with him on the mound a couple of years ago

Champ hambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond reputehambone29 has a reputation beyond repute

having a cannon doesn't always equate to being a successful pitcher, but it does work out for some. in rike's case, i hope it does, being that we could use a hard throwing lefty in our pen. as far as ldawg50's question, the velocity is usually a gradual decline throughout the game, as you suggested. a pitcher's velocity falling off that much over one inning early in the game usually happens in high school, due to poor conditioning. at the college level, i have no idea what would cause that. not in shape, sore or fatigued, or possibly the first inning he was feeding off adrenaline. your guess is as good as mine...

Puppy CG has turned a few heads around hereCG has turned a few heads around hereCG has turned a few heads around hereCG has turned a few heads around here CG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg View Post
    What can you guys tell me about this guy? Impressive numbers! Could he step up and START once every 5 games so Jones can start everyday and crush 30 HR's??

21 Alan Knotts...... 3.24 0-1 8 0 0 0/0 1 8.1 7 3 3 2 14 1 0 2 31 .226 0 0 1 0 0
    He was too hittable to Toledo. Their players were talking about how they could read what pitches he was throwing.

+ Reply to Thread