Quote Originally Posted by fanfromafar View Post
I can't go back and edit the title. When I first posted it, it was to say I'd had it with what I perceive to be blind support for Long. That is just my perception, and I always try to state that just because it is my opinion doesnt' make it right or wrong.
I was only in Ruston for my years at Tech. And it's been a long time since I've been back. But one thing about the Ruston crowd that stuck with me was this: Look good, attend church, fit in and all is well. Long strikes me as batting 100 on all three, unfortunately, he is a terrible head coach, but that won't get him dismissed.

I'm not going away. I'm a fan, I'm just an angry fan, and won't be "positive" about the negative direction this program is heading. Everyone is saying "wait until next year." Some even say "give him a few years." Well, I don't have an option, do I? I just hate having to wait for the program to slip so far away that we end up believing that our recruits are national level players.

The facts state the case. More losses than ever. The only reason we shared the conference regular title was the collapse of Boise. We lost at home more than we won. We lost to pathetic teams. Our "arguably strongest out of conference schedule yet" according to Long, was a farce. We lost to NMSU in the first round.....not the first round of the tourney, the first round of the WAC conference. He did not motivate. He made consistently bad choices in subbing, taking away the rhythm of the game and players.

OK, enough. I've made my points regarding Long. Nothing else I can do except move on.
Fan - R U sure we're not related?? :icon_wink: Man, I agree with all of your observations & sentiments 100%. We've certainly got this board pretty much divided 50/50 toward Long but as Champ says, he's got another year on his contract to prove us wrong ( whether we like it or not ). I HAVE been back to Ruston quite frequently & it hasn't changed ( IMHO ) from your description ( Look good, attend church & don't rock the boat ). In fact, I have relatives up there & I know that even they fit the Tech demographic. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, either.
I just don't agree with the direction that I PERCEIVE the Techster program going, either. There's a lot of emotion on here since the WAC fiasco & I guess it outweighs the facts that U pointed out PLUS the poor attendance @ the TAC. Sure, that has lots to do with the product that's put out on the floor but here we'll go again with "those weren't his recruits." Yet most of them were on last years' 26-5 team.
I guess I just don't understand that sudden one year extension Long got about 1 month into the season. Anybody know where THAT came from?? Personally, I'd have to see some positive results before I'd add more time to ANY of the coaches contracts but I guess that's just me.:icon_wink:

Gene