+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoop Troop

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Re: Hoop Troop

Quote Originally Posted by grimey View Post
    I know the troop sounded good at the LSU Tech womens basketball game.
    Ah, that's the Tech-lsu game, you mean. Tech is always listed first, and it's optional to use all lower case when mentioning the other school.

Champ AG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the roughAG_jr is a jewel in the rough AG_jr's Avatar

I was so grateful the HT was there for the tourney...b/w our teams, they were the most fun to watch. AG and I sat with them before the men's game and cheered for Fresno w/ the HT since fresno didn't bring their band. A bunch of the fresno fans bought some peanuts from one of the walking vendors and sent them our way...lol. And yes, there was absolutely NO competition b/w the HT and the rest of the bands there. I love our Hoop Troop/Band of Pride. They make such a huge difference!

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

The HT has gotten comments like that for as long as I can remember. Makes me proud to have been a member to see things have not changed.

Varsity Bulldog grimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around heregrimey has turned a few heads around here grimey's Avatar

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that the Hoop Troop is so awesome is the work of Robkin. We are VERY lucky to have him. These kids put a lot of effort into their work and have a GREAT time doing it. They do our university very proud!

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I remember getting free mcdonalds for beads during the WAC tourney in Tulsa years back. Ppl go crazy for them.

Heck yeah I did! Traded a crappy bead that had a little crappy crawfish on it for a Quarter Pounder meal! And qng I hope this puts to rest the worries you had about Hoop Troop.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    Heck yeah I did! Traded a crappy bead that had a little crappy crawfish on it for a Quarter Pounder meal! And qng I hope this puts to rest the worries you had about Hoop Troop.
    Yeah i was worried a little, seeing that football, bball, etc are going down hill. I'm glad they are still doing their thing..and doing a great job at it.

I was wondering if the athletic dept can hook up the HT next year to get them new uniforms (or discounted uni's) . We use to wear Adidas windsuits, they were nice. Unfortunately NCAA fined the band in 99 for wearing the suits with the Adidas stripes. NCAA said you could wear any license gear but the logo had to be like 1-2 inches. The 3 stripes were consider a logo...so they fined us.

Last edited by qng001; 03-12-2007 at 09:45 AM.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by playdablues View Post
    The Hoop Troop owns. I'd put them up against anyone in the country.

Lord, it's hard to be humble . . .

The Hoop Troop rules.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Now here's a different angle of why our band is great:
    from their fan board . . .

"I was talkin with Dr. Van today, and everyone agrees (the Tech) band is awesome. we were discussing why, and then it hit us, although I don't know for sure, but they are a tech school. Most people don't go to tech schools for music. So the few bands they do have, they put their heart and sould in. Which is awesome for them. I think there are lots of us who would like to put more time in it, but when your in symphonic winds, jazz band, road runner review, brass quintet's, keeping up with your lesson work, and then your classes, and any other ensembles outside the school (a few guys do drum corps, or gig around the city) It's hard to find time to get things exactly the way we want them. La Tech puts time in their band and it shows! It's awesome! Just letting you guys know why its so hard to get things to change in the RRR. I know excuses are like a**holes and everyone has them... but i'm using one now."

I guess that's kinda why our alumni financial support sux. We don't have graduates of our own law school or medical school (just the cream of the crop of other schools!). . . CPAs and Engineers are too frugal with their money . . . .:icon_wink:
    Yeah, I know music majors are pretty busy, but it isn't like computer guys and engineers aren't swamped with their courseloads, too.

It isn't the time issue, but I can buy at least part of his argument. It makes sense that a ME or CHME blowing off steam might be more "into" getting fired up for a basketball game than a music major from another school who just views it as another required recital. Obviously, this wouldn't always be the case (before you hard core music majors/hoop troopers get offended) but overall for the whole group I could see it playing a part.

Robkin is still the deciding factor, either way.

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Yeah, I know music majors are pretty busy, but it isn't like computer guys and engineers aren't swamped with their courseloads, too.

It isn't the time issue, but I can buy at least part of his argument. It makes sense that a ME or CHME blowing off steam might be more "into" getting fired up for a basketball game than a music major from another school who just views it as another required recital. Obviously, this wouldn't always be the case (before you hard core music majors/hoop troopers get offended) but overall for the whole group I could see it playing a part.

Robkin is still the deciding factor, either way.
    Being a former HT member, the way the group looks and sound is based on the leadership of the director. If Robken didn't give a hoot then the HT would look bad. The whole music major excuse for not look'n good is exactly an excuse.

+ Reply to Thread