+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saturday game updates

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Re: Saturday game updates

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    We don't have the pitching to make it to Omaha. Maybe not even win the WAC. We need someone (or 2) that we can be reasonably sure is going to shut down the other team. Can't depend on outscoring the other team everynight.

Sims says we need to win 40 games this year. At this rate we will be luck to win 30. I was pretty optomistic early on, but we need to turn things around in a hurry.

Beaver, you state the obvious from Fall going into Spring. Second, as you all know being solid up the middle means you can't wait too long to settle on your middle infield. While we have some talent to play several players, you really want the middle guys playing 99% of time and not rotating very much by second weekend. More errors or mental errors or passed balls lead to pitchers having to face more hitters in an inning than they need to.

As far as 40 wins, that is why they play the games rather than everyone pick the wins before we play a season. Never thought this team had 40 wins in them before WAC tournament. Trying to win each game and be in position with right seed to try and win WAC tournament is what team needs to focus on to get the automatic NCAA regional bid. It will take that now to get a bid.

Puppy KDawg is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    Beaver, you state the obvious from Fall going into Spring. Second, as you all know being solid up the middle means you can't wait too long to settle on your middle infield. While we have some talent to play several players, you really want the middle guys playing 99% of time and not rotating very much by second weekend. More errors or mental errors or passed balls lead to pitchers having to face more hitters in an inning than they need to.

As far as 40 wins, that is why they play the games rather than everyone pick the wins before we play a season. Never thought this team had 40 wins in them before WAC tournament. Trying to win each game and be in position with right seed to try and win WAC tournament is what team needs to focus on to get the automatic NCAA regional bid. It will take that now to get a bid.
    The "obvious" going into the season was uncertainty about our pitching staff. Could our starters go 7-8 innings so we could get to Alsup or Hudson? Last year all three weekend guys would go deep in the game eating up innings. Not blaming the pitchers but they are not pitching ahead and walking too many batters. We could go all day talking about the reasons why we've lost games we thought we should have won. I think Sim is coaching pretty much the same way he always has. DH, are you saying our coach is not doing a good job? The reasons you gave are ultimately coaching decisions.

Champ Designated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the roughDesignated Hitter is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    The "obvious" going into the season was uncertainty about our pitching staff. Could our starters go 7-8 innings so we could get to Alsup or Hudson? Last year all three weekend guys would go deep in the game eating up innings. Not blaming the pitchers but they are not pitching ahead and walking too many batters. We could go all day talking about the reasons why we've lost games we thought we should have won. I think Sim is coaching pretty much the same way he always has. DH, are you saying our coach is not doing a good job? The reasons you gave are ultimately coaching decisions.
    I did not say a thing about Sim. Don't make this into something it is not. Pitching did not look that good in Fall and has proven out going into Spring so far....they were a couple of arms short. When that happens the smaller things start sticking out a little more. Think about it, our top 4 arms are not all juniors and seniors, so still young on the mound with more youth coming. So it will gradually get better. Rupert not same since hurting shoulder back in spring 2005 requiring surger and over 1.5 years sitting out. Freshman Casey Jones having medical freshman RS year as well. I want to win too, but not surprised with current arm situation and not upset with anyone.
    Last edited by Designated Hitter; 03-11-2007 at 11:24 AM.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

If we've got to stumble, I'd rather do it now and finish strong.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ FishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond reputeFishingBack has a reputation beyond repute FishingBack's Avatar

although it's tiring to keep seeing the articles to the effect of "bulldog's late rally not enough."

Good luck next time dawgs!

Puppy KDawg is an unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Designated Hitter View Post
    I did not say a thing about Sim. Don't make this into something it is not. Pitching did not look that good in Fall and has proven out going into Spring so far....they were a couple of arms short. When that happens the smaller things start sticking out a little more. Think about it, our top 4 arms are not all juniors and seniors, so still young on the mound with more youth coming. So it will gradually get better. Rupert not same since hurting shoulder back in spring 2005 requiring surger and over 1.5 years sitting out. Freshman Casey Jones having medical freshman RS year as well. I want to win too, but not surprised with current arm situation and not upset with anyone.
    Hey DH, not trying to put words in your mouth. It just amuses me when people say we should be playing this kid instead of that kid, we should be bunting more, should have settled on middle infield by 2nd weekend series,on and on. This is just a silly message board and we offer our opinions but when we say some of these things what we ARE doing is questioning the coach and thats O.K. For some reason we are scared to question Sim even when we question him.

Quote Originally Posted by KDawg View Post
    Hey DH, not trying to put words in your mouth. It just amuses me when people say we should be playing this kid instead of that kid, we should be bunting more, should have settled on middle infield by 2nd weekend series,on and on. This is just a silly message board and we offer our opinions but when we say some of these things what we ARE doing is questioning the coach and thats O.K. For some reason we are scared to question Sim even when we question him.

Don't worry, no one puts words in my mouth. I don't make statement about players individually on a public forum. Simply stating what most would have observed: short on quality experienced arms and defense up middle played below capability early in season which causes kids to be shuffled to hopefully send a message by the coach. We ae still relatively young and young arms tend to improve. That is why personally, I never felt team had 40 wins in them prior to WAC Tournament, but could improve to be in position to make run at tournament title and hopefully get bid that way.

Any comments or questions, I deal straight with the coachs, not this forum. Now, I have said too much and need to move on as busy season and always looking to future.

+ Reply to Thread