+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What's a good practice amp

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

What's a good practice amp

(combo) for electric guitar?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Re: What's a good practice amp

Quote Originally Posted by DogtorEvil View Post
    (combo) for electric guitar?
    If you can find one, I'd invest in a small tube amp. I've got a Pevey Classic 20. I don't think they make the 20 anymore, but you might could find something similar. You can get good tube tone at a reasonable volume. Solid state wouldn't run you as much. If your electric has humbuckers, I'd try and get something with a twelve inch speaker. If it's just single-coils, you'd be fine with ten. The solid-state fender amps are pretty good. If you're a big timer, get you a Mesa Boogie head and a 12" speaker box...get a new cab when you're ready.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ DogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond reputeDogtorEvil has a reputation beyond repute DogtorEvil's Avatar

Thanks Johnny. I'm learning on a Line 6 700 modelling guitar . I was thinking of going with solid state to begin with and then moving up to tubes later. Have you seen this little guy?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=101897007

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Thanks Johnny. I'm learning on a Line 6 700 modelling guitar . I was thinking of going with solid state to begin with and then moving up to tubes later. Have you seen this little guy?

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=101897007
    I've never played through one, but I've got a Marshall solid state head. Honestly, I like the fender solid states better. I've got a princeton chorus. If you like the modeling amps, you can get a Line6 or Fender modeling amp for around the same price. If you like the classic marshall sound, I'd look for a cheaper brand tube (like a Crate). I love those fender tubes...but, if you're a fan of modeling amps, a straight tube amp may not be your style as you'd need pedals to get some of the effects your used to from the modeling amp.

What type of music do you want to play?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    What type of music do you want to play?
    Thrash metal. Not. Classicand Southern rock. SRV. some light bues nd jazz.

I'm a mere beginner. I bought the Line 6 because I got a great deal on it and it looks to be pretty flexible.

The reason I was thinking SS over tubes is that I read that tubes do better when cranked up. In that I'm not going to be that very often I figured SS was the way to go.

Thrash metal. Not. Classicand Southern rock. SRV. some light bues nd jazz.

I'm a mere beginner. I bought the Line 6 because I got a great deal on it and it looks to be pretty flexible.

The reason I was thinking SS over tubes is that I read that tubes do better when cranked up. In that I'm not going to be that very often I figured SS was the way to go.
    Yeah, I've got two tubes and two solid states and the solid states have better tone and low volume, but if you get a small enough tube, you can get the best of both worlds. I like the Fender solid states, but it's a personal preference. If you're gonna make a purchase, get out there and play what you are thinking about buying. I'm sure there's a guitar center somewhere close to where you are. They can give you just about as good a prices as the magazines, but you can actually play the amp before you buy it. Amp shopping is always fun. Don't be intimidated by the music store show-offs. Get in there and play and find what you like.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

I like Mesa Engineering's tube amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Guisslapp View Post
    I like Mesa Engineering's tube amps.
    Me too. To bad they cost so much. I like old fender tubes as well.

Dawg Adamant Argument Czar Guisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond reputeGuisslapp has a reputation beyond repute Guisslapp's Avatar

^Sometimes you can get pretty good deals on used ones - might have to replace a tube, but that is not too bad.

looking for a Peavey 20 right now, a couple on eBay

what do you think of this geetarr?

http://www.fqms.com/Gibson_Les_Paul_...22207C2189.cfm

looking for a Peavey 20 right now, a couple on eBay
    Never had problems with mine.

Puppy DawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really niceDawgyDawg is just really nice

Not bad, nothing like a solid body electric with humbucker pickups to get you liquid sustain. Too bad they don't still make them like they did in the 50s, however.

+ Reply to Thread