+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Metal vs Wood

Champ TECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to beholdTECH88 is a splendid one to behold TECH88's Avatar

Metal vs Wood

I think a change has been long overdue. Any thoughts?

How to hit more runs without failing a drug test
    By JIM LITKE, AP Sports Columnist
    March 14, 2007 Anybody over 30 can remember the first time they heard bat meet ball with a less-than-satisfying "ping" instead of a hearty "crack!" Apparently some of us haven't gotten over it still.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slu...v=ap&type=lgns

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Re: Metal vs Wood

I vote for wood bats for college baseball, OK with wood in high school. I'm a baseball purist and enjoy hearing the "crack" of the bat rather than the "ping".

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

I'm loving getting to watch some AAA baseball now. The crack is priceless.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

I love wood bats, its the way baseball should be - like natural grass and stirrups. I went through a full season only breaking one bat, they're a lot cheaper than metal per bat-even 3 or 4 are cheaper than a metal bat.

Champ TulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her gameTulsaDawg is on top of his/her game TulsaDawg's Avatar

Wood should be used in college definitely, high school probably.
    Go Tech!

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Metal vs Wood

All the summer collegiate leagues use wood bats.Many of those players go on to the minor leagues so it's good preparation,but not for very long. We need wood bats in college baseball. Pitching era's would go down to a normal level. Batting averages would drop .050 to .075 points ( a .350 hitter would drop to a .275 hitter) Home run levels would also drop as they did a few years back when the aluminum bats went from -5 to -3 rating. Check out the stats in the elite Cape Cod summer league.Team batting averages ranging fron .230 to .250.These are elite players with enormous stats using aluminum bats in college.So you can see that the sweet sound of a wood bat hitting a baseball could somewhat diminish the offense & excitement in a game of coolege baseball.My vote is for wood....we will take our chances with the potential negative aspects.

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I think college baseball has enough trouble with attendance. Wood bats would really hurt the offensive production that we like to see. This isn't professional baseball. I also noticed the number of injuries reported by little league went from 146 in 1992 to 26 in 2004. Baseball has some inherit danger in it. You won't get the number of injuries much lower than that in 160 million at-bats.

While professional baseball does use wooden bats, they also use balls have a much smaller thread, which makes it more difficult to throw a good breaking pitch. College balls are also softer. If college baseball goes to the wooden bat, they should change the balls too. You can't give the pitcher all of the advantage.

Bulldog littledawg50 is an unknown

If I'm a pitcher I want wood, if I'm a hitter give me the ping. Wood makes the game more real. IMO the biggest difference are the cheap hits, the little flairs that just make it out of the infield with a metal bat; hitter gets jammed and instead of pop up to infield flairs between inf and outfd.

Champ GatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGatorDawg has a reputation beyond repute GatorDawg's Avatar

I am curious to see how wood bats affect a pitchers pitch count for his college career. I am sure coaches would keep them in longer and I am willing to bet games would become longer. Sure if you are a pitcher you would love for the batters you face to have a wood bat but you also want your team to use the metal. But anyway anyone know what happens to the pitch count? I would seriously hate to see some great pitchers use their arm out in college because wooden bats help them throw more innings.

Champ altadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her gamealtadawg is on top of his/her game

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post

While professional baseball does use wooden bats, they also use balls have a much smaller thread, which makes it more difficult to throw a good breaking pitch. College balls are also softer. If college baseball goes to the wooden bat, they should change the balls too. You can't give the pitcher all of the advantage.
    Not trying to bust your chops but can you provide any documentation on these two claims?

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altadawg View Post
    Not trying to bust your chops but can you provide any documentation on these two claims?
    I don't mean to sound dumb or sarcastic with my next question, I just don't know who you are. Do you come to the Tech home games? I can bring a pro ball and college ball to show you if you'd like.

It just now occurred to me that I own a set of callipers. The pro ball measured a diameter of 2.8781 and a thread diameter of 2.9281 while the college ball measured 2.8520 and 2.9742. Turns out, I stand corrected. The pro ball is bigger by more than 0.025in. The professional thread size is 0.05in while the college thread size is 0.12in. Maybe that's why I've always thought college balls were larger? The threads are also a good bit wider on the college ball. This isn't exceptionally scientific since my sample size is "one," but I haven't exactly been a golden glove threat from my outfield seats with the Devil Rays.

I don't have any method of determining the compression inside my dorm without taking the balls apart. The pro one is signed by Carl Crawford (caught the ball and met him afterwards). No one is taking a knife to it. I can't measure the mass either.

+ Reply to Thread