+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Iraqis: life is getting better

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Thumbs Up Iraqis: life is getting better

What say you critics/cynics? I know this bums you out as some of you would rather see America fail in Iraq by "losing the peace" after we won the war.
    Iraqis: life is getting better

UK Edition

Switch to Global Edition
    From The Sunday Times
    March 18, 2007

Marie Colvin

MOST Iraqis believe life is better for them now than it was under Saddam Hussein, according to a British opinion poll published today.
    The survey of more than 5,000 Iraqis found the majority optimistic despite their suffering in sectarian violence since the American-led invasion four years ago this week.
    One in four Iraqis has had a family member murdered, says the poll by Opinion Research Business. In Baghdad, the capital, one in four has had a relative kidnapped and one in three said members of their family had fled abroad. But when asked whether they preferred life under Saddam, the dictator who was executed last December, or under Nouri al-Maliki, the prime minister, most replied that things were better for them today.
    Only 27% think there is a civil war in Iraq, compared with 61% who do not, according to the survey carried out last month.
    Related LinksBy a majority of two to one, Iraqis believe military operations now under way will disarm all militias. More than half say security will improve after a withdrawal of multinational forces.
    Margaret Beckett, the foreign secretary, said the findings pointed to progress. “There is no widespread violence in the four southern provinces and the fact that the picture is more complex than the stereotype usually portrayed is reflected in today’s poll,” she said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle1530762.ece

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Re: Iraqis: life is getting better

Why don't you ask these thousands of Iraqi civilians if they think life is better now...oh that's right, you can't because they were not lucky enough to avoid a bomb shopping at a market or walking in front of a police station...very very unfortunate how the value of human life is nowadays...

http://www.iraqbodycount.org/database/

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

There are many stories of success. The media just doesn't care to focus on these like they should. You just have to care enough to look for them as well as talk to the soldiers coming back and on home for leave. Sorry if the above success story bothered the whinny arsed liberal in you. It sure didn't bother the Iraqi's that voted and told their side.

U.S. Troops Nab 12 Suspected Al Qaeda Terrorists in Raids Across Iraq

Sunday, March 18, 2007

BAGHDAD — U.S. troops captured 12 suspected militants Sunday in raids across Iraq, the military said.
    The operations targeted members of Al Qaeda in Iraq and others suspected of building and planting roadside bombs, the military said in a statement.
    Five suspects were detained in Ramadi, 70 miles west of Baghdad, the statement said. All were accused of involvement in car bomb and rocket attacks on U.S. troops, it said.
    Visit FOXNews.com's Iraq Center for more in-depth coverage.
    Ramadi is the provincial capital of Iraq's volatile western Anbar province.
    Also in Anbar, troops captured three suspects accused of ties with Al Qaeda in Iraq in Habbaniyah, 50 miles west of Baghdad, the military said.
    In the capital, two men were detained for allegedly procuring bomb-making materials, the statement said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,259382,00.html

US forces capture deputy al Qaeda commander in Iraq – Abu Qetada al Palestini
    March 17, 2007, 8:58 PM (GMT+02:00)
    He was detained Saturday in Baghdad.
    The military says a US soldier was shot to death Saturday during fighting in Baqouba, northeast of Baghdad. Some 700 extra American troops have been sent to Baqouba to expand the security campaign against sectarian violence in Baghdad. Many Sunni Arab insurgents fled Baghdad ahead of the crackdown in the capital.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 03-18-2007 at 08:21 AM.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    There are many stories of success. The media just doesn't care to focus on these like they should. You just have to care enough to look for them as well as talk to the soldiers coming back and on home for leave. Sorry if the above success story bothered the whinny arsed liberal in you. It sure didn't bother the Iraqi's that voted and told their side.
    That's interesting, TT. I didn't realize the Iraqi's voted on whether or not for us to be there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the war in Iraq. In fact, I'm of the opinion that we need to be playing by Al Qaeda's rules instead of the Geneva convention rules. If we did that, this would be over with by summer. Be that as it may, I'm always suspect of polls like the first article references in which it asks people if they would prefer one situation over the next. In this case, I look at is asking them if they would rather be pissed on or spit on. Well, neither is desired, but one is more acceptable. Before I read your response about the Iraqi's voting, I already had formed an idea. This was my idea. Figure out a way to get the people of Iraq to the polls. Let them vote to decide if we should stay or leave. From what I understand, it's the Dems who think the Iraqi's want us out and the Repubs who think they want us there, and that by leaving now we will be leaving them in the lurch. I'm of the opinion that there are Iraqis on both sides of the issue just as in any country. That's why both sides are finding stories about Iraqis wanting us to leave as well as those wanting us to stay. Well, why not let the Iraqi people vote. If the majority want us out, we pull out and don't have to worry about the consequences. The Iraqi people can't blame us when all hell breaks loose once we're gone because they will have been the ones to have sent us away instead of us leaving them hanging out on a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    That's interesting, TT. I didn't realize the Iraqi's voted on whether or not for us to be there. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the war in Iraq. In fact, I'm of the opinion that we need to be playing by Al Qaeda's rules instead of the Geneva convention rules. If we did that, this would be over with by summer. Be that as it may, I'm always suspect of polls like the first article references in which it asks people if they would prefer one situation over the next. In this case, I look at is asking them if they would rather be pissed on or spit on. Well, neither is desired, but one is more acceptable. Before I read your response about the Iraqi's voting, I already had formed an idea. This was my idea. Figure out a way to get the people of Iraq to the polls. Let them vote to decide if we should stay or leave. From what I understand, it's the Dems who think the Iraqi's want us out and the Repubs who think they want us there, and that by leaving now we will be leaving them in the lurch. I'm of the opinion that there are Iraqis on both sides of the issue just as in any country. That's why both sides are finding stories about Iraqis wanting us to leave as well as those wanting us to stay. Well, why not let the Iraqi people vote. If the majority want us out, we pull out and don't have to worry about the consequences. The Iraqi people can't blame us when all hell breaks loose once we're gone because they will have been the ones to have sent us away instead of us leaving them hanging out on a rope.
    Good points. However, there is still the bigger picture and strategy of killing/fighting thesemurdering thugs over there instead of on American soil.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Good points. However, there is still the bigger picture and strategy of killing/fighting thesemurdering thugs over there instead of on American soil.
    I will agree with that, but then we need to honest and fess up that it's less about fighting for Iraq's freedom and more about keeping the mid-east in turmoil rather than the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I will agree with that, but then we need to honest and fess up that it's less about fighting for Iraq's freedom and more about keeping the mid-east in turmoil rather than the U.S.
    Your might be right about that one. What do you think about 70% - 30% or 60% - 40%?

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Got another email from my nephew. His battalion is in the northern part of Baghdad. Been in that city for several weeks. Says he has not even heard a shot fired in anger, let alone been involved in a skirmish. Glad for that part! Says, while on patrol, it's mostly chatting and mingling with Iraqi citizens, who go about their business. They are used to seeing American troops now and pay little attention to them. Terrorists and their occasional activities, like setting off bombs, are treated like isolated criminal acts. Although potentially more destructive, my nephew says it's not too different than watching the local news and seeing a story about a shooting/murder that took place only a few miles from your house. You understand that it is the act of individuals that choose to do a criminal act.

My buddy, who is an intelligence consultant (former Army Lt. Colonel) has been delayed and is still in Iraq, his wife told me. Expected back soon, though. I'll get the straight scoop from him.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Got another email from my nephew. His battalion is in the northern part of Baghdad. Been in that city for several weeks. Says he has not even heard a shot fired in anger, let alone been involved in a skirmish. Glad for that part! Says, while on patrol, it's mostly chatting and mingling with Iraqi citizens, who go about their business. They are used to seeing American troops now and pay little attention to them. Terrorists and their occasional activities, like setting off bombs, are treated like isolated criminal acts. Although potentially more destructive, my nephew says it's not too different than watching the local news and seeing a story about a shooting/murder that took place only a few miles from your house. You understand that it is the act of individuals that choose to do a criminal act.

My buddy, who is an intelligence consultant (former Army Lt. Colonel) has been delayed and is still in Iraq, his wife told me. Expected back soon, though. I'll get the straight scoop from him.
    Thanks for that report. The kids coming back that I have spoken with all say that the media here is not showing the real story and that most of the country is glad we are there and helping straighten out the terrorist/tortured mess that Saddam created. Say they are treated really well by the locals everywhere they traveled. Of course these young guys are glad to be back with their families, girl friends and back in college for some of them. But they are very proud of their accomplishments and hate the liberal media and DEMS that even hint at "cut and run" as well as cutting off their funding.

Big Dog TechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her gameTechSupporter11 is on top of his/her game TechSupporter11's Avatar

Well it sure is funny TylerTechsas that the MAJORITY of Americans want troop withdrawals and want Congress to cut funding...but of course our president, the leader of the people, will never act in such a way...he'll keep doing what he wants to do...

I never wanted us to get into this war to begin with, but since we've been there for 4 years, the least we could do is try to make the best out of the situation...I just want, more than ever, for the Iraqi government to step it up and be able to handle this themselves so we can get out troops home...

You definitely have to be more of a free thinker these days and not rely solely on the media, because they all have political angles one way or the other...keep posting your articles...I enjoy reading them even though you may go a little over board with your oneliner's...

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupporter11 View Post
    I just want, more than ever, for the Iraqi government to step it up and be able to handle this themselves so we can get out troops home...
    I agree with that statement.

Champ saltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your timesaltydawg Ultimate jerk and not worth your time saltydawg's Avatar

The Iraqi invasion and the subsequent war has been one big mistake after another. Ultimately, we will withdraw our troops and the iraqis will determine their own future.

I just will sorry for the families of the troops who are and have been killed there, not to mention the 20k+ seriously wounded.

http://www.sfgate.com/portraitsofsacrifice/

Quote Originally Posted by saltydawg View Post
    Ultimately, we will withdraw our troops and the iraqis will determine their own future.

Gee, that was a bold statement.

Again the foreign press seems to be printing the positive articles. Thanks guys!

US general upbeat on Iraq 'surge'

The new "surge" is aimed at curbing sectarian violence

The US military commander in Iraq says there are grounds for optimism over the latest security drive.
    Gen David Petraeus told the BBC that with two out of the five extra brigades now on the ground in Iraq, there had been fewer sectarian attacks.
    He said he would have an idea of the chance of success once all extra troops were deployed in the coming months.
    Attacks in Baghdad killed at least four Iraqis on Sunday, while the US announced the deaths of seven troops.
    The violence included:
    • A car bomb at a popular market in the Shia district of Sadr City, which killed three people and wounded another seven
    • Four US soldiers were killed and one wounded when their vehicle was ambushed by a roadside bomb in western Baghdad on Saturday, the US military said
    • Also on Saturday, an explosion in the capital's Diyala province killed one US soldier and injured five others and a US marine died while fighting in Anbar province
    'Returning families'
    The new "surge" policy is aimed at curbing sectarian and insurgent violence in Baghdad and Anbar province.

I have an obligation to the young men and women in uniform out here, that if I think it's not going to happen, to tell them

Gen David Petraeus
    US military commander in Iraq

Gen Petraeus said: "By early June, we should then have everyone roughly in place - and that will allow us to establish the density in partnership with Iraqi security forces that you need to really get a good grip on the security situation."
    He said there were "encouraging signs", although he added that he did not want to get "overly optimistic at all on the basis of several weeks of a reduced sectarian murder rate".
    He said the new operation had led hundreds of families to return to "neighbourhoods that had really emptied out".
    But Gen Petraeus also pledged to speak candidly if he thought the operation was not working. He said: "I have an obligation to the young men and women in uniform out here, that if I think it's not going to happen, to tell them that it's not going to happen, and there needs to be a change. "In other words, if you can't accomplish your mission, you owe that to your boss - and you owe that, more importantly, to those who are out there serving in the coalition."

For rest of article link below

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6463529.stm

Here's an article with a lot of good poll numbers among Iraqis and what they think...from the BBC no less...the trend is the most glaring fact...

"Pessimism growing among Iraqis"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6464277.stm

+ Reply to Thread