+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

When I enrolled at LA Tech, one of the first courses I took was college algebra. The instructor was a quite remarkable dude, even though right now I cannot recall his name. I don't think he stayed at Tech very long. However, I can picture him like it was yesterday. He was an older guy, rather chubby; and, he was the only person I've ever seen who was truly ambidextrous.

This guy could write on the chalkboard using his right hand; switch the chalk to his left hand and write some more; switch hands again, whatever; and nobody would ever be able to see the difference as to which hand he had written with. He could do this while looking out at the classroom and talking, and the "script" would appear to be perfectly horizontal across the chalkboard.

Amazing ! ! !

Did I mention that the dude sometimes smoked cigarettes in the classroom during his lectures ?? (This was before algore invented or coined the phrase "politically correct", o.c.)
    He sometimes smoked while writing on the chalkboard.

I know ya'll can see where this is headed. Everybody in the class was looking for it. And, sure enough, one day it happened -- he "wrote" on the board with his cigarette and stuck the chalk in his mouth.

Just another GREAT memory from my days at Louisiana Tech.

I invite you to share yours.
    Last edited by nadB; 03-18-2007 at 02:22 AM.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

Had two english teachers who were HOT!

One was Mrs. Hammond. I met her daughter several years later and she was also a very beautiful girl.

I can't recall the other teacher's name. I'll have to look it up. English teacher from 1980ish?

I have horrible memories of Engineering instuctors who couldn't speak english well and got very upset when asked to repeat things.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, as for as interesting, Rose Daigle (sp?) was a Sociology Prof. She was a ex-Nun, Lesbian, Athiest. Can't get any more interesting than that.

I remember one course with her that we spent about a month dissecting the book "Jonathon Livingston Seagull". There were only 14 people in the class and we sat in a circle. Each day, for over an hour, we interpreted and discussed certain pages. Don't even remember what course it was, other than it was Sociology. That was the most different class that I have ever taken. I, actually, had two classes taught by her. The other was Abnormal Psych. It was a large class, but is the one that first got me interested in the field I am in.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Let's see, I liked Mr. Painter, for civil engineering...and Dr. Ed Carothers, in forestry. Told me once, something like this: you are a fine, young fellow, you will be very successful if you would just study more, take your work more seriously, focus on the important things in life....(this went on for several minutes)....finally, he shook his head and said, did I say you were a fine, young fellow? Yeah, I replied. Hmmmrruphh! he muttered, then walked off.

Guess I ain't.....(or wasn't)

Champ Abominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond reputeAbominable Gorilla has a reputation beyond repute Abominable Gorilla's Avatar

I walked into Dr. Baron's class after receiving my final in Cryogenics. I got a 99 on the final and needed a 100 for an A, so I'm trying to hint I'd like him to bump me up a bit.

"You know, I only needed one more point on this test to get an A in your class."
    "You also only needed one more point on this test to get a smiley face sticker."

I got a B.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Mr. Painter was my dad's favorite teacher, and I enjoyed his classes as well. He was a very creative teacher for sure! Dr. Bobby Price was my favorite I think. You must've been in the wrong curriculum at Tech, maddawg. We didn't have but one foreign teacher that I can remember and he definitely was my least favorite (Dr. Budhu in soils).

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Well, as for as interesting, Rose Daigle (sp?) was a Sociology Prof. She was a ex-Nun, Lesbian, Athiest. Can't get any more interesting than that.

I remember one course with her that we spent about a month dissecting the book "Jonathon Livingston Seagull". There were only 14 people in the class and we sat in a circle. Each day, for over an hour, we interpreted and discussed certain pages. Don't even remember what course it was, other than it was Sociology. That was the most different class that I have ever taken. I, actually, had two classes taught by her. The other was Abnormal Psych. It was a large class, but is the one that first got me interested in the field I am in.
    I had her for a class. I picked up on the ex-Nun part, but missed the rest. I gotta say she was not boring. I believe it was the first day of class (beginner sociology whatever that was) she called three guys up and asked us to pick out the rapist - definitely not boring the whole quarter.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Dr. Emerson and Dr. Stokley (sociology) are the best teachers I've had. Dr. Emerson retired after last quarter. Both are very intertaining in class, definitley know their stuff, and probably care about their students more than any other teachers at Tech.

My freshman year Dr. Stokley kept giving this guy hell for wearing an LSU hat to class, but the guy kept wearing it just to piss him off. So one day Stokley shows up with a Tech hat, says I'll trade you. The last 2+ years the same guy has been in many of my classes and always wears a Tech hat, so he's at least reformed one person!

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Dr. Ji showed us a one of his daughter's barbie videos in an Organic Chemistry class.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

MR. Hern's Business Law classes were the most memorable for me. Always kept class interesting and regularly engaged everybody in the class. Almost seemed like a student at times with the UP's (unprepared), we had three a quarter that we could use. Also had a time keeper elected and his courtroom stories in class.

Varsity Bulldog dawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the roughdawgbytes is a jewel in the rough dawgbytes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Had two english teachers who were HOT!

One was Mrs. Hammond. I met her daughter several years later and she was also a very beautiful girl.

I can't recall the other teacher's name. I'll have to look it up. English teacher from 1980ish?

I have horrible memories of Engineering instuctors who couldn't speak english well and got very upset when asked to repeat things.
    That other english teacher you don't remember from the early 80's was Mrs. Griffin. Don't recall her first name though.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    I had her for a class. I picked up on the ex-Nun part, but missed the rest. I gotta say she was not boring. I believe it was the first day of class (beginner sociology whatever that was) she called three guys up and asked us to pick out the rapist - definitely not boring the whole quarter.
    Yes, that sounds just like something she would do. My sister had her, as well. They had to do some controversial act and judge reactions. She chose to act like she was on drugs and act pretty out of it in a convenience store. Another two people went to Maxwell's Holiday Inn and asked for an hourly rate. It is funny, because all those things wouldn't raise and eyebrow now. :icon_wink:

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Now for the older crowd - Morgan Peoples in Louisiana History - Dr. John Cawthon in English - Mr. Arthur Stone in Theatre - Mr. Ralph Pierce in Geography (learned the names of every student he ever had) - and within the last seveal years, I enjoyed having Debra Blackman in some Computer Information Systems classes.

I would have had more undergraduate favorites if I had gone to class more frequently. Of course that was almost 35 years ago !!

Galen Rockett
    Ruston, LA
    Class of 1973

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Who was that poly-sci teacher who only gave quizzes and lectured? She was a hoot!
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ olddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond reputeolddog75 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    MR. Hern's Business Law classes were the most memorable for me. Always kept class interesting and regularly engaged everybody in the class. Almost seemed like a student at times with the UP's (unprepared), we had three a quarter that we could use. Also had a time keeper elected and his courtroom stories in class.
    My business law classes were my favorite as well, teacher was Mr. Napper. An incredibly smart man with a presence. We once debated (because he had the option) whether he should attend the Masters to watch the tournment or go the following week and play the course.

+ Reply to Thread