+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Re: Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

15 posts and no mention of Price? He was an interesting character -- essentially agnostic but he'd go after an unthinking atheist as quickly as an unthinking Christian. I really enjoyed jousting with him in class (took him for philosophy, not poli sci). He did push you to think. He was actually the first person to recommend I go after a terminal degree.

I took Peoples for La. History. Enjoyable teacher -- I remember he gave everyone bonus points for showing up on the first day during a monsoon.

Geology professor Higgs was a character -- Higgsus Shaftus was how people referred to his tests.

I don't remember the name of the EE prof I took for microprogramming, but he required you to be ready to demonstrate a program on whatever day he called on you. You had to have it on transparencies (not cheap then) and had to know it well -- even though you never knew when he might call on you. Strange system.

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Dr. Snow is awesome as well.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ atobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to allatobulldog is a name known to all atobulldog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Who was that poly-sci teacher who only gave quizzes and lectured? She was a hoot!
    Richardson, I believe

Champ dawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the roughdawgcrazy is a jewel in the rough

Dr. Attrep in History. He really made the stuff come alive (and I was an engineering major...)

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Abominable Gorilla View Post
    I walked into Dr. Baron's class after receiving my final in Cryogenics. I got a 99 on the final and needed a 100 for an A, so I'm trying to hint I'd like him to bump me up a bit.

"You know, I only needed one more point on this test to get an A in your class."
    "You also only needed one more point on this test to get a smiley face sticker."

I got a B.
    Good teacher. Good class. Took it with about 3-4 other Chem. E's and we probably had the top 4-5 grades in the class. For a sr. chemical engineer it was mostly review. His book is one of the clearest engineering texts I used.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I always liked crazy Dr. Mead. That dude was nuts, and how he escaped a sexual harassment suit I'll never know, but he ruled Tech Rome and his class was never boring.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    15 posts and no mention of Price? He was an interesting character -- essentially agnostic but he'd go after an unthinking atheist as quickly as an unthinking Christian. I really enjoyed jousting with him in class (took him for philosophy, not poli sci). He did push you to think. He was actually the first person to recommend I go after a terminal degree.

I took Peoples for La. History. Enjoyable teacher -- I remember he gave everyone bonus points for showing up on the first day during a monsoon.

Geology professor Higgs was a character -- Higgsus Shaftus was how people referred to his tests.

I don't remember the name of the EE prof I took for microprogramming, but he required you to be ready to demonstrate a program on whatever day he called on you. You had to have it on transparencies (not cheap then) and had to know it well -- even though you never knew when he might call on you. Strange system.

Price!! I had him for two classes. He was indeed fun to spar with. I loved his classes even though I can't say I agreed with his political leanings. He definitely challenged me.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

everything i ever needed to know I learned from two people, Calvin Lemke and Crazy Mary Livingston. :icon_wink: Is it any wonder i turned out the way i did ?

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Price!! I had him for two classes. He was indeed fun to spar with. I loved his classes even though I can't say I agreed with his political leanings. He definitely challenged me.
    I never had Dr. Price for a class, but he and I were golfing buddies for years. We even went on vacations up to Fairfield Bay, Arkansas with he and his wife on several occasions. Politically, religiously, and in about ever other way, we are complete opposites. He is a good guy though.

He really loved teaching and misses it immensely. He is working in McAllen, Texas as a personnel manager for a furniture company and unfortunately is not happy. He misses all his friends and students at Louisiana Tech. I think he would probably come back if he could because teaching is the love of his life.

I miss John Price and I think Louisiana Tech misses John Price.

Galen Rockett
    Ruston, LA

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

What happenned? If you need to PM me then please do. That's too bad. He was a very good teacher.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Dr. Bush for American History (my mom had him, too). I was impressed that he never used a book. He had notes with him, but he almost never looked at them.

Dr. Price, for reasons already mentioned.

Mr. Wylie and Mrs. (now Dr.) Thompson in the music department. I wandered through Howard a few weeks ago and the only two people I ran into were these two. It was like being in a time warp or something.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Higgs was a charachter for sure. I guess I enjoyed him better than the other two of my Geology profs (Davenport nor Herman). But I really didn't like any of them. Way too cocky for my liking. In fact, taking numerous Eng. courses I can say I didn't find them enjoyable either. And you could have fired the Physics profs for all I cared. BORING!!!! I guess that sounds bad but I really liked one of my English teachers at LSUNO/UNO and a number of my USAFA profs/officers much better then any teachers at TECH. I just loved TECH, Ruston, my friends at TECH and my overall major thank goodness. Ok.... that was embarrassing.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Tyler, since you've highjacked the thread and changed the tone, I'll tell you about one I didn't like. Twas this prissy EE puke - again, I forget his name - who was teaching an advanced circuits course. 3 hr. course, only two exams; a mid-term and a final.

Mid-term exam came due, and he passed out the exam papers. I read the 1st page; then flipped through the 2nd and 3rd and 4th ...................etc. pages and looked around at my classmates. Almost everyone was looking around at each other. A couple of dudes flipped their pencils over their shoulders and were staring at the ceiling with their arms crossed. It appeared to me that possibly they were praying ??

So, this clown then stands up in front of us with a big smile on his face and tells us all the exam questions came from the next chapter in the textbook, the one we hadn't gotten to yet. He said he wanted to see if anyone was studying ahead.
    BARF ! !

He had a "bonus" question on the exam, and I remember it to this day.

Something like, Pretend you are on the moon and you have nothing made of metal; and, you pick up these two rocks, and one is magnetic and the other is not. How do you tell which one is magnetic ??

I had no clue, but I answered something like, Take one of the rocks and pound on the other one until you break one into two pieces. If the two pieces have poles that attract and repel, then that's the magnetic rock. If not, then it's the other rock.

Still wonder about the correct answer to that question to this day. Perhaps someone out there somewhere can educate me ??

Anyhow, this clown must have graded on one heck of a HUMONGOUS curve, 'cause I made a B in the course without ever hardly cracking the textbook. My Bad.
    Last edited by nadB; 03-18-2007 at 11:40 PM.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Tyler, since you've highjacked the thread and changed the tone, I'll tell you about one I didn't like. Twas this prissy EE puke - again, I forget his name - who was teaching an advanced circuits course. 3 hr. course, only two exams; a mid-term and a final.

Mid-term exam came due, and he passed out the exam papers. I read the 1st page; then flipped through the 2nd and 3rd and 4th ...................etc. pages and looked around at my classmates. Almost everyone was looking around at each other. A couple of dudes flipped their pencils over their shoulders and were staring at the ceiling with their arms crossed. It appeared to me that possibly they were praying ??

So, this clown then stands up in front of us with a big smile on his face and tells us all the exam questions came from the next chapter in the textbook, the one we hadn't gotten to yet. He said he wanted to see if anyone was studying ahead.
    BARF ! !

He had a "bonus" question on the exam, and I remember it to this day.

Something like, Pretend you are on the moon and you have nothing made of metal; and, you pick up these two rocks, and one is magnetic and the other is not. How do you tell which one is magnetic ??

I had no clue, but I answered something like, Take one of the rocks and pound on the other one until you break one into two pieces. If the two pieces have poles that attract and repel, then that's the magnetic rock. If not, then it's the other rock.

Still wonder about the correct answer to that question to this day. Perhaps someone out there somewhere can educate me ??

Anyhow, this clown must have graded on one heck of a HUMONGOUS curve, 'cause I made a B in the course without ever hardly cracking the textbook. My Bad.
    Great story! Didn't mean to change the tone of this thread. Sorry!
    BTW, your answer sounds good to me. I would also think a magnetic rock would in all odds be heavier than the various type of moon rocks we brought back to earth. Then again it might be impossible to find a magnetic rock on the moon. Anyone else want a shot.

Varsity Bulldog 007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice007dawg is just really nice 007dawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by atobulldog View Post
    Richardson, I believe
    Yep, I had Richardson as well. I remember her giving us 6 topics on which the essay exam would be based, then having someone roll dice on test day to pick which one we would write on. I remember her writing on my essay once that she was "having a hard time not giving me an A just because of my handwriting." Evidently she enjoyed my engineer's ALL-CAPS script. I don't think I ever studied a thing in that class ... just BS'd my way through the essays and made A's.

I remember Mr. Hancock in Math ... one of those early engineering calculus classes. The first day of class, he stands up in front of the room to call role. He gets to my name, calls it out, then says in his loud Ross Perot-esque voice "Blackwelder, I taught your daddy!" I still hear that to this day from friends that were in that class.

+ Reply to Thread