+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

Champ CARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond reputeCARTEK has a reputation beyond repute CARTEK's Avatar

Re: Memorable Tech Teachers - Add Yours

In absolutely no particular order (and there are those on here that can vouch for all 250 undergraduate hours I have from TECH):

Abe Attrep
    Morgan Peoples
    John Winters
    Pat Tomlinson
    Ed Jacobs
    Eugene Paul Burton
    John Price
    Gary Stokley
    Ralph Pierce
    John Trisler
    James Malone
    Eugene Cowling
    Houston Huckabay

I could give a list of the biggest @$$hole$, but in fairness I forget the names of most of them...but I can still see their pathetic faces!
    I'm an asshole! What's your excuse?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

For the sake of privacy I won't mention a name, but my favorite Tech teacher was this girl from Ida. Or were you talking about teachers employed by Tech?

Dr. Attrep
    Dr. Toburen
    Dr. John Price

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Dr. Bush for American History (my mom had him, too). I was impressed that he never used a book. He had notes with him, but he almost never looked at them.

Dr. Price, for reasons already mentioned.

Mr. Wylie and Mrs. (now Dr.) Thompson in the music department. I wandered through Howard a few weeks ago and the only two people I ran into were these two. It was like being in a time warp or something.
    Wonder what Bush had in that glass he was always sippin' on???? Mr. Wylie was quite a character.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Dr. Mead because he was so crazy, and having him for an advisor was cooler than it should have been. He would forget to hide stuff he just printed off the internet…

Dr. Stokley because he wasn’t afraid to say what he was thinking and because he was basically my second dad while I was at Tech.

Dr. John Daly (History) because he was the first prof at Tech that I actually became friends with and could go into his office at any time and shoot the breeze. It was a sad day when he left Tech to go to SUNY, but he wasn’t able to grow in his field at Tech because he wasn’t almost 60. Though his replacement was a mid-20s blonde woman that I think Dr. Mead suggested…

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    For the sake of privacy I won't mention a name, but my favorite Tech teacher was this girl from Ida. Or were you talking about teachers employed by Tech?

Dr. Attrep
    Dr. Toburen
    Dr. John Price
    what strikes me kinda funny is that the most of the dear folks on the lsu sites couldnt have this conversation :O)

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Capt. Pat Tomlinson.
    He was memorable. Not much of a teacher (except for the jocks).:icon_wink:
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

By far my favorite, Dr. Elmore, he was always "full of peace and love" and would talk about how his first ChemE job at a chicken processing plant gave him nightmares so he came back to teach.
    I had an interesting Organic Chem teacher, don't remember his name cause he was fired after 2 quarters. But showed up a couple of times smelling like liquor, then didn't show up at all a couple of times (no call to anyone the dean of the chemistry dept. came in and said they couldn't get in contact so class was canceled). Then for the final he brought in his quite inappropriately dressed wife (early 40's with hot pants and tank top on) who sat on his lap while we were taking the test. At one point he left the room and told her to watch us and she started accusing a friend of mine of cheating, he wasn't. It was the weirdest 2 quarters ever, everyone in the class had to go in and make a statment to the dean of the chemistry at the end of the 2nd quarter.
    Of course all the band directors were great, Robken, Westbrook, Gibbs, and Cheatham (passed away).

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    By far my favorite, Dr. Elmore, he was always "full of peace and love" and would talk about how his first ChemE job at a chicken processing plant gave him nightmares so he came back to teach.
    I had an interesting Organic Chem teacher, don't remember his name cause he was fired after 2 quarters. But showed up a couple of times smelling like liquor, then didn't show up at all a couple of times (no call to anyone the dean of the chemistry dept. came in and said they couldn't get in contact so class was canceled). Then for the final he brought in his quite inappropriately dressed wife (early 40's with hot pants and tank top on) who sat on his lap while we were taking the test. At one point he left the room and told her to watch us and she started accusing a friend of mine of cheating, he wasn't. It was the weirdest 2 quarters ever, everyone in the class had to go in and make a statment to the dean of the chemistry at the end of the 2nd quarter.
    Of course all the band directors were great, Robken, Westbrook, Gibbs, and Cheatham (passed away).
    I was trying to remember Cheatham's name. He was by far one of my favorites. I had him for a music appreciation class. I heard he passed away and was saddened by the news.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Yeah he was great, my freshmen year I was in his band first day he was going over curriculum and concert apparel, normal for band. He got to the ladies apparel and looks down at the flutes and said "I don't mind if you girls were short skirts but apparently people out in the audience don't like it, so knee length for concerts but you can wear short skirts to practice all you want." Nearly fell out!

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Wonder what Bush had in that glass he was always sippin' on???? Mr. Wylie was quite a character.
    I remember Bush used to let us out early every Friday so that he could go to S'port to bet on the horses. And he didn't even make any pretense about it.

I also remember having Mrs. Temple for English. It was a winter quarter and we were in one of those windowless slivers of a room in the bowels of Woodard. Because it was winter the heat was always on. She always wore a full length fur coat and was always dressed really well, like she had some socialite event to attend after our early morning class. And she spoke with that soft, slow drawl. Between her voice, the heat, and the fact that she gave us so much in-class time to read, I couldn't stay awake for more than 5 minutes at a time in that class.

Oh, and Mr. Wylie still is a character. Is he still the Sigma Nu advisor?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian96 View Post
    Oh, and Mr. Wylie still is a character. Is he still the Sigma Nu advisor?
    I believe he was when I left in 2004...of course, I could be mistaken.
    Time is your friend. Impulse is your enemy. -John Bogle

Varsity Bulldog Rockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the earsRockett seems to have something between the ears Rockett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    What happenned? If you need to PM me then please do. That's too bad. He was a very good teacher.
    Dr. Price had a long-time buddy living in McAllen, TX and John was eligible to retire. He is making lots of money down there, but he really misses teaching. Big loss to Louisiana Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockett View Post
    I never had Dr. Price for a class, but he and I were golfing buddies for years. We even went on vacations up to Fairfield Bay, Arkansas with he and his wife on several occasions. Politically, religiously, and in about ever other way, we are complete opposites. He is a good guy though.

He really loved teaching and misses it immensely. He is working in McAllen, Texas as a personnel manager for a furniture company and unfortunately is not happy. He misses all his friends and students at Louisiana Tech. I think he would probably come back if he could because teaching is the love of his life.

I miss John Price and I think Louisiana Tech misses John Price.

Galen Rockett
    Ruston, LA
    I wonder if he could come back. I'd love to go back and visit with him. I doubt he'd remember me, but the new generation of kids don't know what they're missing. I would always get a chuckle of how he would go on and on about how students would complain about him. He would say that the students would come to him about a grade and would argue with him that their grade should be higher. After raking them through coals, he would go ahead and give in and bump them up. Conversely, he would complain, Dr. Toburen would never change a grade. He would say that students would go to Dr. Toburen and after they left, they were all in a good mood even without getting a better grade, but when he gave them what they wanted, they still called him and AH. It was really one of his pet peeves. I always liked how easy it was to get him off on a tangent as well.

Dr. Ed Jacobs was my favorite English professor. He always made me laugh with his humor. I remember him trying to crack jokes in class and he'd laugh at the jokes and then we'd laugh at him laughing at his own jokes. He thought we were laughing at the jokes. He was a good teacher, though. There were several reasons I liked Dr. Toburen but was really impressed with his memory. I remembered when I graduated, I had sat out of school for 4 years before going back, and then was in school another year and half before graduating. I hadn't had him for a class in over 5 and half years. He was in charge of lining us all up for graduation. When I showed up to get in my place in line, he called me by name and showed me where I was to line up. As I said, this was after not having had a class or really much interaction with him in over 5 years.

Bleed Tech Blue! JAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to beholdJAY is a splendid one to behold JAY's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    everything i ever needed to know I learned from two people, Calvin Lemke and Crazy Mary Livingston. :icon_wink: Is it any wonder i turned out the way i did ?

oh yeah. livingston was funny.

barlow soper was awesome! i still see him around town.

i also like dr. attrep, he still sits behind the south goal at almost every bball game. very colurful descriptions of history.

i had another history guy bring an ak-47 to class to show it off, he had served in the first guld conflict. i forgot his name but he was the one that did the documentary on camp ruston in the late 90s.

i loved mcvays business law and personel law classes. he would jump on people for talking better than any other teacher i had. my favorite story was when he told us he wouldnt be there for the next class. he said "and by the way, if i ever dont show up, just go home and consider it your lucky day." several years before he had gone to the super bowl in new orleans and partied a little too hard so he didnt make it back to ruston in time for class. he said his students got him in trouble because they tried too hard to find out why he wasnt there.

Champ Poisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the roughPoisso3 is a jewel in the rough Poisso3's Avatar
    Ellisville, MO (30 miles West of St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by JAY View Post
    i had another history guy bring an ak-47 to class to show it off, he had served in the first guld conflict. i forgot his name but he was the one that did the documentary on camp ruston in the late 90s.
    Was it Joseph Mark Scalia? He was a grad student back in the 90s who's thesis became a book on the subject of Camp Ruston and Germany's last U-boat mission to Japan: http://www.amazon.com/Germanys-Last-.../dp/1557508119

+ Reply to Thread