+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Same Old Budke

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Same Old Budke

An improvement for next year will be winning the WAC, winning the WAC tournament, going to the NCAA's. The year after, I will expect more.

Now there are always caveats to this. What if we rolled through our OOC and conference undefeated (doubtful, I know) and then lost in the WAC tournament? We would still get a bid to the NCAA that way, but it technically would not meet the objectives above. We could write out the details, but I think we will all know when we see the improvement.

Yes, it will take longer than this to get back to the S16 and above. That will be a matter of years. Return to some of our winning ways, though, and we will see a snowball effect with recruits. Right now, we have to give recruits hope. Giving them results is a better proposition.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    What if we rolled through our OOC and conference undefeated (doubtful, I know) and then lost in the WAC tournament? We would still get a bid to the NCAA that way,
    The NCAA committee will not give us an at large bid. DR/JO/CL have insured that this will not happen with their shortsighted refusal to go to the NIT.
    ________
    Knee Problems Forums
    Last edited by LT; 05-05-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT View Post
    The NCAA committee will not give us an at large bid. DR/JO/CL have insured that this will not happen with their shortsighted refusal to go to the NIT.
    One has nothing to do with the other. They are not related and there is no impact.

Champ TechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud ofTechDawgMc has much to be proud of

Do you honestly think that if we beat Tennessee and whoever else we're playing OOC next year (based on C110's scenario) the NCAA committee would ignore us because we didn't go to the WNIT -- which they clearly care nothing about at all?

I'm not sure I agree that ignoring the WNIT was the right call, but that doesn't make any sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TechDawgMc View Post
    Do you honestly think that if we beat Tennessee and whoever else we're playing OOC next year (based on C110's scenario) the NCAA committee would ignore us because we didn't go to the WNIT -- which they clearly care nothing about at all?

I'm not sure I agree that ignoring the WNIT was the right call, but that doesn't make any sense.
    You are right. In order for any "non-bcs football conference school" to get into the tournament, you better win your conference tournament. Second to that, you better have an rpi of below 40 to have a shot as an at-large bid. The NCAA committee snubbed WKU last year with an excellent rpi. This year, they tried to make up for it by giving ULL a bid, but I wouldn't count on that generosity often.

If we went through our OOC schedule unbeaten, though, the committee would get us in the tournament. No way they could deny us on that.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Are we playing TN next year?

Are we going to play teams like EKU, Grambling, ULM, etc.?

Keep in mind that our conference was rated #17 this year with a couple of the teams not even in the top 300. We have to play each conference team at least twice. Realistically an undefeated regular season leaves us with an RPI outside the top 20 and probably even outside the top 30. Not winning the conference tournament would give us a loss (to a likely marginal team) right before the selection process.

This year TX (#30), S. FL (#33), and W. KY (#34) were left out. Last year W KY was #17 and got left out.

When a team is on the bubble, they are scrutinized closely before a decision is made. We would be on the bubble. I beleive the NCAA (which operates the NIT) will take into account our snubbing of the NIT.

I hope we don't find out next year what their decision would be.
    ________
    bondage girl Webcam

Are we playing TN next year?

Are we going to play teams like EKU, Grambling, ULM, etc.?

Keep in mind that our conference was rated #17 this year with a couple of the teams not even in the top 300. We have to play each conference team at leat twice. Realistically an undefeated regular season leaves us with an RPI outside the top 20 and probably even outside the top 30. Not winning the conference tournament would give us a loss (to a likely marginal team) right before the selection process.

This year TX (#30), S. FL (#33), and W. KY (#34) were left out. Last year W KY was #17 and got left out.

When a team is on the bubble, they are scrutinized closely before a decision is made. We would be on the bubble. I beleive the NCAA (which operates the NIT) will take into account our snubbing of the NIT.

I hope we don't find out next year what their decision would be.
    The NCAA doesn't care one bit what anyone does with the NIT. Never has.

I haven't seen a prospective OOC schedule yet, but I am sure it is plenty to get us in. If we went undefeated in OOC, you can bet that we should be close to undefeated in conference. We owe Tennessee a game at their place this year - to answer that question.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

The NCAA doesn't care one bit what anyone does with the NIT. Never has.

I haven't seen a prospective OOC schedule yet, but I am sure it is plenty to get us in. If we went undefeated in OOC, you can bet that we should be close to undefeated in conference. We owe Tennessee a game at their place this year - to answer that question.
    Actually Champ, I think that changed last year when the NCAA got the rights to the NIT. They are both now official NCAA tournaments. I didn't know if this extended to the WNIT or not, but I'm sure it does. So, LT may be onto something. The question is how much influence the powers that be with the NCAA have over their selection committee. Don't forget, too, that the woman that is over the selection committee is the AD of women's sports at LSU. I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to "prove" something to the Techsters especially if we were to have a better year next year than LSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Actually Champ, I think that changed last year when the NCAA got the rights to the NIT. They are both now official NCAA tournaments. I didn't know if this extended to the WNIT or not, but I'm sure it does. So, LT may be onto something. The question is how much influence the powers that be with the NCAA have over their selection committee. Don't forget, too, that the woman that is over the selection committee is the AD of women's sports at LSU. I wouldn't be surprised if she wanted to "prove" something to the Techsters especially if we were to have a better year next year than LSU.
    Nahhh..... If it would have been an "at large" bid that we turned down, it would be different. We had an automatic, though. They could care less if we chose to play or not. They didn't go out on a limb to invite us. It was auto.

You are right about the relationship, which recently changed. I don't think it matters, though. The NCAA is only going to give us an at-large bid if we are near the top. Same thing with any program from a conference that is ranked #9 or lower. We will have to earn whatever bid we get, regardless.

If we have a #19 rpi, like WKU had, they might not give it to us. They will, most likely, give it to a #5 team in one of the power conferences.

So, we are back to square one - If we want in the NCAA, we better dang sure earn it.

Varsity Bulldog TDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the roughTDAWG is a jewel in the rough TDAWG's Avatar

I found this on Wikipedia:
    "Since the 1970s, there has been a Women's National Invitation Tournament. It began as an eight-team tournament in Amarillo, Texas. However, this is affiliated with the NIT in name only. It was not connected with MIBA and was not purchased by the NCAA."

"Currently, the WNIT is owned and promoted by Triple Crown Sports, a Denver, Colorado-based promotion and marketing company."

Also, on the web site for Triple Crown Sports:

"The Women's National Invitation Tournament is an annual tournament involving 16 of the nation's top women's Division I basketball teams. A team may participate no more than once in a four year period. Additionally, only one institution per conference may play in the tournament in the same year. Click here for the WNIT home page."

So it looks like the NCAA did not purchase the WNIT.
    TDAWG

Did you see the good pub we got at the bottom of that site? It's good to be a powerhouse.

About the WNIT
    The Preseason WNIT is an elite 16-team tournament that often showcases that season?s eventual Final Four teams. Powerhouses such as Connecticut, Louisiana Tech, Kansas State, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and Texas Tech have played in the tournament throughout its 12 seasons.
    The Postseason WNIT is a 40-team single-elimination event for schools that were not part of the NCAA Tournament field but still finished strong and at or above a .500 record. Many teams use their strong postseason finish in the WNIT to jumpstart their next season.
    ________
    Granny Webcams

Quote Originally Posted by TDAWG View Post
    So it looks like the NCAA did not purchase the WNIT.
    Thanks for disabusing me of this notion. Now I wonder if we pissed away any chance of ever getting back into the preseason WNIT. Do you remember how we won it the last time we played in it?

I still think that the only way we get in the dance is by winning the WAC tourney. Otherwise our RPI won't be high enough. I believe our denigration of the WNIT also hurts our cause (even though the NCAA doesn't own the WNIT). It makes us look arrogant and motivates selection committee members to give us our comeuppance.
    ________
    VAPE INFO

Thanks for disabusing me of this notion. Now I wonder if we pissed away any chance of ever getting back into the preseason WNIT. Do you remember how we won it the last time we played in it?
    I can bet you that they did not see it as a snub. Again, it was an automatic bid. If they had offered us an at-large bid, it would have been different.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

I can bet you that they did not see it as a snub. Again, it was an automatic bid. If they had offered us an at-large bid, it would have been different.
    Champ. I don't see how you say that by us turning down an automatic bid it will be viewed differently than an at-large bid. I would think that would make them more upset because in trying to get the next best teams they are taking the best in the conferences that didn't make it to the NCAA. I think turning them down for either instance would have the same effect. Don't get me wrong, though. I'm not saying that we shouldn't have turned the WNIT away.

+ Reply to Thread