+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Preseason WAC Favorite Fresno St to Ruston Friday

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Baseball Preseason WAC Favorite Fresno St to Ruston Friday

Fresno State tied with Hawaii as the conference favorite in the 2007 WAC Coaches' Poll. It sure would be nice to pick up a big win Friday night and then sweep these guys to get back into the conference race!

Varsity Bulldog dogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the rough dogtrooper's Avatar

Re: Preseason WAC Favorite Fresno St to Ruston Friday

Any guesses on attendance for this series? It will be one of the more important conference home series we play this season. 'Official' attendance for the ULM series was 2536 & 2088. It dropped off for the Sac St. series to 413, 415 & 423. My guess is 860's for Fresno. I'm using the W.A.G. calculation method of course. I'll be curious to see what the attendance is for the ULL game too. They're a 'regional' opponent, and they're not a bad ball club either.

i'm just curious to see how much the regional games with quality opposition spike our attendance.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Can't be there Friday, but I will be on Saturday and Sunday.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Since it's Fresno -

We should have decent crowds -

I would say close to 1,000....
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

It's all about WINNING-if we win this series and get back in the Conference title chase-attendance will take care of it self. Go Dawgs!!!

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Preseason WAC Favorite Fresno St to Ruston Friday

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Fresno State tied with Hawaii as the conference favorite in the 2007 WAC Coaches' Poll. It sure would be nice to pick up a big win Friday night and then sweep these guys to get back into the conference race!
    If you check out the current stats on the WAC website there are a couple of things we need to improve on if we're serious about winning conference. Here is a comparison between us and Hawaii......our pitchers have given up 243 hits,127 walks,35 wild pitches,& 161 runs with an era of 4.59. Hawaii has given up 231 hits, 51 walks, 9 wild pitches,& 84 runs with an era of 2.65. If you've been to a lot of games you've noticed that a high percentage of our walks end up scoring.We walked 76 more batters than Hawaii and gave up 77 more runs. WALLA !!!!!! WALKS = RUNS !!!!!!!! ( especially when it is a leadoff walk......and many of them are) I think we can definately improve on this. I'd like to see less "wasted pitches" when our pitchers are ahead in the count 0-2.Why throw a pitch way up high or way outside when you know he is not going to swing at it? Be aggressive and throw him your best "out" pitch, barely off the dish.Defensive swings are what we need. Throw the ball on his hands or a bit low & outside.A wasted pitch helps a hitter comeback and work the count back until we throw him a better pitch or eventually walk him.What better time to put a hitter away than an 0-2 count and he has to be defensive? I'm sure the scouting report on us is that in that 0-2 situation our pitchers never throw a strike. Anyone have any thoughts on this or different insights? The only other stat that sticks out is that we only have 8 sacrifice bunts. Here are the others....Hawaii 16....Fresno 16......San Jose St 20......Sac State 24. We either lead or are near the top in every offensive category....we just need our pitching staff to pitch to their potential.There is hope because we have seen some flashes of excellent pitching this spring so we know they have it in them.

Bulldog littledawg50 is an unknown

Good points Falcon

Waste pitches: should be outlawed. A waste pitch should be good enough for a batter to have to swing at and bad enough so the batter can't do much with it. Does it drive ya'll crazy when the catcher sets up two feet outside and of course the pitcher hits the target, which is two feet outside, and the ump calls a "ball" and the crowd goes nuts at the ump.

Is it just me or do we throw alot of off-speed stuff compared to fast balls? Don't get me wrong, a change up or curve can be a great pitch but I like fast balls on the corners. Could this be a factor causing our large number of walks?

Hawaii only has 8 home runs, talk about small ball working.

Also, would like for us to steal more bases. We have some serious speed on this team.

I really think I could win it all if they would let me coach behind my computor. HA!!

Varsity Bulldog dogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the roughdogtrooper is a jewel in the rough dogtrooper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by littledawg50 View Post
    Hawaii only has 8 home runs, talk about small ball working.
    That's Hawaii's style of ball. I think last year they were dead last in the wac for home runs, but they ended up finishing second i believe? If you've got good pitching, small ball can be very effective.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Those pitching stats are very telling. We definitely have to pick it up there! Hopefully we can keep the winning streak going Friday night.

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

On the flip side of that "throw away" coin, if the pitcher intends to hit the corner and leaves it over the plate by mistake he may give up a big hit on an 0-2 pitch. Its a tough call imo, but is made easier the more confidence a pitcher has in his stuff.

Puppy bulldogRHP has turned a few heads around herebulldogRHP has turned a few heads around here bulldogRHP's Avatar

We also have to look at Hawaii's schedule... Not in who they play but WHERE they play. Obviously it would be difficult for Hawaii to travel alot in non-conference series'. Ex: The Rainbows are 19-8. They have only played 3 of their 27 games off the island. Now as for my argument. Not sure how many of you have done your research and looked at Les Murakami Stadium, but it is a BIG stadium... 325 down the lines, 365 in the gaps, and 385 in center, which may not seem large to you but the ball doesn't fly well on the island. So my point is, they can play big ball too they just havent been playing on fields that allow that side of their game to shine.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

Baseball Re: Preseason WAC Favorite Fresno St to Ruston Friday

Does anyone know why Fresno State preseason WAC player of the year Ozzie Lewis hasn't played since March 11th? He was supposed to anchor their outfield offensively and defensively.If you are from Fresno and you're checking out this site,give us the scoop.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by falcon View Post
    Does anyone know why Fresno State preseason WAC player of the year Ozzie Lewis hasn't played since March 11th? He was supposed to anchor their outfield offensively and defensively.If you are from Fresno and you're checking out this site,give us the scoop.
    He was seduced and kidnapped by the former Ms. Stacy Johnson?

:icon_wink:
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2005 NFL Survivor Contest Champion RXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of lightRXDAWG is a glorious beacon of light RXDAWG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    He was seduced and kidnapped by the former Ms. Stacy Johnson?

:icon_wink:
    That wouldn't be a bad way to go!

+ Reply to Thread