+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Weatherspoon?

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Weatherspoon?

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    CHC, Most of us make WAY more than a WNBA player. I would love (and hope that) she becomes a Champs member, but it is not much different than 95% of our other almuni that aren't.

I do agree with you, though. I would love for her to join. Also, I would love EVEN MORE for us to have an A.D. that tried to connect with all our alumni and get them to join - especially our former athletes.
    She's not listed in the 2005 alumni directory.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

I haven't read it, but from what I understand about her book, she wrote very positive things about her experience at Tech.

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    I have nothing against Teresa. I would love to have her as a Lady Techster coach. However, you made a statement that made it sound like she's able to get recruits when she has no proven track record that she can do that. The fact of the matter is that you you don't know, but instead just think she would be a good recruiter just because she is black and an ex-WNBA player. I think it's awfully racist to assume that just because she is black, she will get black athletes over a white coach. Last I checked, Pat Summitt was doing a great job of recruiting against ex-WNBA black athletes as is Geno at UConn. Not to mention the fact that there are many black coaches out there on both the men's and women's side who played proffessionally that have problems recruiting black athletes. To assume that Long, Brooke and Katie can't recruit these kids just because they're white coaches is ridiculous. Besides, who says we have to have black basketball players to be successful. The last I remember both Brooke and Katie held their own against the nations top black female players when they were Techsters as did many other outstanding white players both at Tech and other schools.
    Racist? Is it racist to assume young black women would feel more comfortable with a young black woman? I don't think we need to target black players over white, I think we need to target good players over bad. If you look at a list of the top area recruits they are mostly black. Are you saying that because I think we should go after the best players and they happen to be black that I am racist. It sounds like you are having a hard time understanding the facts. I also agree with you on your examples of good recruiters (summitt and geno)and that we don't know if spoon would be good or not, but we know for sure that the likes of brooke and katie aren't good enough.

Champ beaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebeaux66 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Does spoony have her degree though. Wasnt there something about her degree or lack of a masters that prevented her from coaching at Tech?

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by deadawg View Post
    Racist? Is it racist to assume young black women would feel more comfortable with a young black woman? I don't think we need to target black players over white, I think we need to target good players over bad. If you look at a list of the top area recruits they are mostly black. Are you saying that because I think we should go after the best players and they happen to be black that I am racist. It sounds like you are having a hard time understanding the facts. I also agree with you on your examples of good recruiters (summitt and geno)and that we don't know if spoon would be good or not, but we know for sure that the likes of brooke and katie aren't good enough.

Yes it is racist to assume a young black woman would feel more comfortable with a young black woman. In fact there's a laswsuit going down right now here in Baton Rouge in which the white head football coach is suing the school board because he was fired from his position at a predominantly black school because the principal said he wanted a black man because the kids could relate to him better. The white coach had a winning record and many former black players who said that was bull. They related to him well and inspired them as much as a black man would.

I also think we should go after the best players as well whether they are black or not. The best players don't happen to be black either. Are there great black basketball players? Yes. But there are some great white basketball players too. For you to say that there aren't white basketball players as good as the black basketball players is an indication that you have a hard time understanding the facts and are thinking in racist terms.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Is it racist to assume young black women would feel more comfortable with a young black woman?
    Let's don't go there, Pokey.
    If a recruit does not know who the coach represents . . . Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters . . . then I don't know if we need that recruit.
    If parents are judging the coaches then they are looking for someone to take care of their child while in college.

BTW, Leon was not a bad recruiter as a "goofy, white guy". (Just kidding about the goofy, Leon.)
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ deadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to beholddeadawg is a splendid one to behold deadawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydawg View Post
    Yes it is racist to assume a young black woman would feel more comfortable with a young black woman. In fact there's a laswsuit going down right now here in Baton Rouge in which the white head football coach is suing the school board because he was fired from his position at a predominantly black school because the principal said he wanted a black man because the kids could relate to him better. The white coach had a winning record and many former black players who said that was bull. They related to him well and inspired them as much as a black man would.

I also think we should go after the best players as well whether they are black or not. The best players don't happen to be black either. Are there great black basketball players? Yes. But there are some great white basketball players too. For you to say that there aren't white basketball players as good as the black basketball players is an indication that you have a hard time understanding the facts and are thinking in racist terms.
    Don't forget sexist. I guess in your way of thinking I am sexist too. As for the good white players, who are they? Where are they? I follow area girls basketball, since I went to Southwood, and I haven't seen one good enough to play at Tech. Sure there are many in other areas of the country, but we have to recruit our area. Name one area white player who had a big impact in major college basketball. Don't say Chirstie Sides, because she was nothing more than a role player. I suggest we go after the best players in our area and they happen to be black. You sound as if we should target white players. That's racist.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

We should target the best. I don't care if they are Black/White/Hispanic/Asian/Straight/Lesbian/or some combination of all of the above. Not only is this good for our team, but Tech is a diverse place that will welcome any and all of the above.

Just get the best as best you can!

And to the recruits that are reading: If you WANT to be a Techster and will give it your all, you won't find a more welcoming place than Louisiana Tech University.

This thread should die or move to the political forum.

I apologize to dirtydawg for calling him a racist. That is a serious allegation and has no place in this forum. Dirtydawg was just defending his argument and no matter what was said, I should not have gone there. We are on the same side and would welcome anyone who wants to be a part of this wonderful program.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Don't forget sexist. I guess in your way of thinking I am sexist too. As for the good white players, who are they? Where are they? I follow area girls basketball, since I went to Southwood, and I haven't seen one good enough to play at Tech. Sure there are many in other areas of the country, but we have to recruit our area. Name one area white player who had a big impact in major college basketball. Don't say Chirstie Sides, because she was nothing more than a role player. I suggest we go after the best players in our area and they happen to be black. You sound as if we should target white players. That's racist.
    While I agree we need to work on local talent, I don't see any problem with looking national as well. Heck, if I'm not mistaken, Diana Taurasi was from California and went all the way to Connecticut. I certainly would say she made an big impact on major college basketball. Wouldn't you? As far as saying I sound as if we should target white players, I don't see how you get that. Either way, we'll just have to disagree. While I think it would be great if we could get T-Spoon, I don't think she would be that much of a better recruiter just because she is black.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

just a few off the top of my head --

emily carter, 6-1 forward from airline. redshirted this season at tcu. for the record, we did recruit emily. she chose tcu over us, and many tech fans, most notably champion110, ripped her. last i checked, tcu made the tourney this year and we didn't. but the jury is out on how good emily will be as she hasn't stepped on the floor yet.

jesse carrier, 5-10 guard from sulphur. started 3 games as a true freshman for ulm this year. no, we shouldn't be battling ulm for recruits. but last time i checked, they beat us this year.

and let's not forget katie antony, who we not only missed on once, when she chose vandy out of high school, but we missed on twice, when she transferred to lsu. i know we tried to get her, but the truth of the matter is she could have been a great player for us. she's just a role player in the sec.

these are just a couple of players off the top of my head. there are other good, quality white players out there. whitney hollins, the class b mvp from fairview, is one of them. her sister, courtnee, plays at mcneese, and whitney is supposed to be the better player. there's the baggett twins from iota, along with a big 6-2 post player, who will all be seniors next year.

granted, i'm not saying we should build our team around white girls. but i'm not saying we should ignore them, either. we should target and recruit good all-around players that can fit into our system. one thing i don't think we've done a good job of here lately, for both men's or women's, is recruiting basketball players. we've been recruiting "athletes" and that hasn't worked out too well.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Puppy LT30 has turned a few heads around hereLT30 has turned a few heads around here

"one thing i don't think we've done a good job of here lately, for both men's or women's, is recruiting basketball players. we've been recruiting "athletes" and that hasn't worked out too well."

You hit the nail on the head! MANY athletes can't play basketball. Mainly they can't shoot! And all the athletes that have speed can't play basketball either! Tech needs basketball players that have court sense. We don't have that either!!

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LT30 View Post
    "one thing i don't think we've done a good job of here lately, for both men's or women's, is recruiting basketball players. we've been recruiting "athletes" and that hasn't worked out too well."

You hit the nail on the head! MANY athletes can't play basketball. Mainly they can't shoot! And all the athletes that have speed can't play basketball either! Tech needs basketball players that have court sense. We don't have that either!!
    I, actually, agree. The key is to get players that are both athletes AND bball players. The combo is almost unstoppable. This was my complaint early in the season. Amber (as much as I LOVED to watch her play) was an athlete pure and simple. She had some good plays, but most of her skill came from being more "fit" than the others. I will miss her the most, though, because she gave it everything she had on the floor. You combine that athleticism and a pure basketball talent and you have something very special.

Puppy Hoss has turned a few heads around hereHoss has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    just a few off the top of my head --

emily carter, 6-1 forward from airline. redshirted this season at tcu. for the record, we did recruit emily. she chose tcu over us, and many tech fans, most notably champion110, ripped her. last i checked, tcu made the tourney this year and we didn't. but the jury is out on how good emily will be as she hasn't stepped on the floor yet.

jesse carrier, 5-10 guard from sulphur. started 3 games as a true freshman for ulm this year. no, we shouldn't be battling ulm for recruits. but last time i checked, they beat us this year.

and let's not forget katie antony, who we not only missed on once, when she chose vandy out of high school, but we missed on twice, when she transferred to lsu. i know we tried to get her, but the truth of the matter is she could have been a great player for us. she's just a role player in the sec.

these are just a couple of players off the top of my head. there are other good, quality white players out there. whitney hollins, the class b mvp from fairview, is one of them. her sister, courtnee, plays at mcneese, and whitney is supposed to be the better player. there's the baggett twins from iota, along with a big 6-2 post player, who will all be seniors next year.

granted, i'm not saying we should build our team around white girls. but i'm not saying we should ignore them, either. we should target and recruit good all-around players that can fit into our system. one thing i don't think we've done a good job of here lately, for both men's or women's, is recruiting basketball players. we've been recruiting "athletes" and that hasn't worked out too well.

Great post, Professor!!!

I guess I just don't see them up in north La. But then again, I don't see much of anybody up here that wows me.

+ Reply to Thread