+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Unwritten Rules of Baseball

The thread talking about who to blame for Rupert losing the no-hitter gave me an idea-post the unwritten rules of baseball (write them I guess). So add them on, I'll get us started-

Someone throws at your guy, you throw at theirs (then it's over - some forget that part)

NEVER say ANYTHING about a no-hitter/perfect game

Play for the tie at home, victory on the road

Never make the first or third out at third

Don't play the infield in early in the game

Don't show up the pitcher after hitting a home run

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Re: Unwritten Rules of Baseball

Don't EVER walk off the mound or out of the catcher's box assuming that a pitch is a strike. The next one WILL NOT be a strike (unless swung at).

If a pitcher does have a chance late in the game at a No-Hitter/Perfect game, swing away. Don't try to bunt for the infield single.

Champ TulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to beholdTulsaPup is a splendid one to behold TulsaPup's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Don't EVER walk off the mound or out of the catcher's box assuming that a pitch is a strike. The next one WILL NOT be a strike (unless swung at).

If a pitcher does have a chance late in the game at a No-Hitter/Perfect game, swing away. Don't try to bunt for the infield single.
    Thats one thing i really hate about Tech's team, too many times guys have thrown the bat headed to first only for a strike to be called. Add never show up the umpire to the list.

I remember a few years ago Arizona's manger was really pissed when San Diego got a bunt hit late in the game to end a no hitter for either johnson or schilling.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

I disagree with the unwritten rules for ending an opponent's no-hitter. What're you supposed to do? Lay back and let him beat you. Kinda takes away the prestige of the no-hitter if you ask me. That said, here's one I've heard:

-Don't steal the catcher's signs when you're a runner on 2nd.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

:bigcry:

"There's no crying in
    baseball!"

LISTEN TO MOVIE QUOTE

- Jimmy Dugan (Tom
    Hanks), A League of
    Their Own
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 03-27-2007 at 12:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I disagree with the unwritten rules for ending an opponent's no-hitter. What're you supposed to do? Lay back and let him beat you. Kinda takes away the prestige of the no-hitter if you ask me. That said, here's one I've heard:

-Don't steal the catcher's signs when you're a runner on 2nd.
    I have no problem with a runner trying to steal the signs from second, all catchers should have different signals with a runner on. When I was a catcher, I hated guys trying to look back at my signs when at bat. Those guys got a warning from me, then if they did it again a fastball up and in.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDawg View Post
    I disagree with the unwritten rules for ending an opponent's no-hitter. What're you supposed to do? Lay back and let him beat you. Kinda takes away the prestige of the no-hitter if you ask me.
    I should have clarified. What's the score?? If it's 1-0, then all's fair. If your losing 12-0, then EARN a hit.

Champ GrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to allGrassyNoleHitman is a name known to all

I should have clarified. What's the score?? If it's 1-0, then all's fair. If your losing 12-0, then EARN a hit.
    I agree that the score is important. going back to the AZ manager getting upset that a bunt ended Shilling's no hit bid...it was a 1-0 game at that point. I think it was the 8th inning. bunting was the appropriate strategy for a leadoff hitter in a tight game where the pitcher had been dominant.

if Shilling wanted his no hitter so bad, he should have played his defensive position. to his credit it was his manager that whines, not Shilling.

Champ falcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her gamefalcon is on top of his/her game falcon's Avatar

No dogpiling by the visiting team after a meaningless win. On a doubleplay grounder,slide into 2nd base or risk getting hit bt the throw to 1st base. If the homeplate umpire gets beaned...the catcher goes out to the mound to give him some recovery time.

Champ LABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant futureLABulldog has a brilliant future

I'm sorry but a successful bunt (not a sacrifice) IS a hit. If the infielders can't handle the ball to throw the runner out then that's their problem. Don't blame the batter for ruining a no-hitter. Do you slow down running to first base on a hit to third so the third baseman has all the time in the world to field the ball and throw you out? No... you run as fast as you can to try and beat the throw. Be it a sharp hit or a slow roller ( or bunt!) the batter/runner's job is to get on base, not worry about the pitcher or manager or whoever on the opposing teams feelings about a no-hitter getting ruined.

Administrator AustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to beholdAustinDawg is a splendid one to behold AustinDawg's Avatar

Here, here. And way more often than not, a bunt results in an out at first anyway, so its not like you're trying to sneak your way on. If I was a pitcher, I'd much rather have every batter trying to bunt their way on rather than swinging for singles. But that's just me.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    I have no problem with a runner trying to steal the signs from second,
    I don't have a problem with stealing signs either if you don't have a problem with my pitcher throwing at your hitter's head.

George Will tells the story of Roger Clemens pitching with a man on second. When he looked back to check the runner, he saw the runner signaling the location of the pitch. Roger called timeout, went to the runner and told him that he didn't want to see that again. The runner smarted off to Roger. Roger didn't say anything, walked up to the mound and threw right at the hitter's head.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

No taking extra bases with a lead of two grand slams or more.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

There is a list of the unwritten rules of baseball at http://www.baseball-almanac.com/lege...liunwrit.shtml. Some of them have been mentioned in this thread but others have not. I've seen most these rules violated at some point in time. One rule on the list -"hit behind the runner at first" - is probably the unwritten rule violated the most.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TulsaPup View Post
    The thread talking about who to blame for Rupert losing the no-hitter gave me an idea-post the unwritten rules of baseball (write them I guess). So add them on, I'll get us started-

Someone throws at your guy, you throw at theirs (then it's over - some forget that part)

NEVER say ANYTHING about a no-hitter/perfect game

Play for the tie at home, victory on the road

Never make the first or third out at third

Don't play the infield in early in the game

Don't show up the pitcher after hitting a home run
    I would go further on that one and say the only person that can say a word to the pitcher about anything (excluding no-no of course) is the catcher. The pitcher always sits at the end of the bench with no one around him when he has a perfect game or no-no going.

+ Reply to Thread